• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why not Spencer Hawes at #11

DeacKillsaDevil

Draft Projection: Lottery

Similarities: Vlade Divac

Hawes announced on April 5th that he was declaring for the 2007 NBA Draft. Hawes, will not hire an agent to preserve his college eligibility. Nephew of Steve Hawes, who averaged 8.4 ppg over 10 NBA seasons (1974-85).

Positives: Skilled big man with advanced low-post moves for a kid his age. Can score with either hand around the basket. Excellent shooter who can play the high post and work the pick and pop. Good passer for a big man. Excellent basketball IQ. As fundamentally sound as any big man in the country.

Negatives: Needs to add strength to play in the post. Just an average athlete and rebounder. Struggles as a defender at times against more athletic opponents.

Summary: Hawes doesn't have the athletic upside of many of the top prospects in the draft, but his basketball skill and size should translate into a very solid NBA career. Think Vlade Divac. At this point, Hawes is looking like a legit lottery pick if he decides to stay in the draft.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be a perfect scenario for the Hawks, IMO. Mike Conley Jr. and Spencer Hawes would work very well together, IMO. Mike Conley Jr. plays great off the high pick, and Spencer Hawes is a high post oriented big man. This will create a lot of pick and pop as well as pick and roll situations between the two.

I'm just not sure Spencer Hawes will be there.

• Moderators

Quote:

What about :

Draft Yi at #3, Hawes at #11 and sign Bibby (I believe he is a free agent).

Or draft Yi at #3, draft LAw or Critt at #11 and sign Darko.

We don't have the cap room to sign either Bibby or Darko. Our cap room is very limited this offseason compared to past years. We would have to unload salary before signing either of those players or do a sign and trade where we got rid of salary to take those guys on.

Quote:

It sounds like Zaza.

Not really though. I don't know the exact measurements but Hawes seems taller, and has more of a prototypical center body. Also Zaza gets most of his non-jumper points by just barelling into a guy and hoping for a lucky bounce or a foul. Hawes has a nice up and under, and a decent jump shot. Hawes also seems to contest shots better, although neither one is a jumper.

In short, to me, Zaza is a big PF playing center, whereas Hawes is a center. I think Hawes is a better passer too, and will set better screens. Not sure how they compare in rebounding.

Zaza doesn't have a polished offensive game and he shoots a low percentage. He is a good offensive player in stretches because he's relentless on the offensive boards and he has a sneaky quick spin move. He fumbles the ball a lot and makes poor decisions when to make a move and when to pass.

Hawes is fundamentally sound and has an array of weapons with the ball in the post. Just because they're both white, 6"11", and not great defenders doesn't make them the same player.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Zaza doesn't have a polished offensive game and he shoots a low percentage.

Zaza had one of the highest shooting percentages on the team at >47%. He is also the only reliable post player on the team. His post moves are improving!

I have never seen Hawes and i guess he would be a good pick at 11, but the thought of a Smith/Hawes combo defensively doesn't seem like it would work that well.

If we get Hawes we would probably still have to get a defensive center somehow.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Alright, not sure what we're discussing here, but my point was that Hawes will be better all around player than Zaza, and a far better offensive player.

Don't know Hawes' game at all so i can't comment on his potential effectiveness in the NBA. I'll just have to take your word on this one. But the side discussion is if 47% is bad for your center. What percentage is acceptable for your starting power forward?