• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ask The GM -July 2nd. Interesting Stuff!

Traceman

Ask the Hawks GM - July 2

Q - "With the Warriors letting Larry Hughes walk and the Hawks still having an undersized backcourt, is there a chance the Hawks might persue the 6'5'' guard who can run the point? He is still only 23 years old and averaged more than 20 points a game only a few years ago. Are the Hawks still interested in acquiring a sizeable guard?" -- Michael R.

A - We are still interested in pursuing size in our backcourt. We are discussing trade options with a number of teams to try and add a big time competitor...we want someone with talent who has the intangibles of mental toughness; as well as a player who can defend....obviously that is alot to ask for, but we are aiming high in our pursuit. Thank you for your input on Hughes.

Q - "I have several questions for you. Is this team looking to bring back Hanno Mottola? There have been rumors that in addition to wanting to sign Ira Newble we are going to sign Hanno as well?" -- Jesse Blunt

A - We are attempting to re-sign Ira Newble and if he signs, we will have the 12 player limit. I don't yet know about Hanno...we are talking about trades with a number of teams.

Q - "Are Chauncey Billups and Bonzi Wells on your list for possible free agents worth going after?" -- Jason Tucker

A - We are exploring all possible free agents at every position just to find out who is really available and who is not. Bonzi likely will resign with Portland and Chauncey with Minnesota, but we are talking to everyone. The "home" teams have a built-in advantage in that they are in a position to pay more than any other team in most cases.

Q - "What role will Demarr Johnson play this and would coach Kruger consider playing him in the backcourt with Jason Terry at the one if Kukoc comes back healthy?" -- jtuck11@msn.com

A - DJ will compete for minutes at the big guard and small forward spots both....he started at the big guard the second half of last year. DJ is having a very good summer of training and preparation for next season.

Q - "I was wondering if the Hawks have planned to have a summer league in Atlanta. If so, when, where, the cost, and what teams will participate?" -- Telia Jones

A - We will not be having a summer league in Atlanta...we will play in Boston July 15-21. Thanks for your interest in the Hawks.

Q - "Who will recieve the majority of the playing time at the small foward position this coming season? Will it be split between Dermarr and Toni? As of now, who would be the starter? Also, will DerMarr play in the summer league and could that have an impact on his role this year? I want to commend the Hawks on what I consider their third consecutive successful draft. I forsee Dickau as a fixture in our lineup for years to come and David Anderson as a player who could blossom into a solid big man in the NBA. The only player who I would have rather seen taken would have been Grizzard. What was the deciding factor in passing on Grizzard in the second round? On a side note, I was a big fan of Smush Parker. How do you think he will fare as an undrafted free agent?" -- Michael Rice

A - Thank you for your comments. DJ will compete for time at big guard and small forward with Glover, Kukoc, Crawford and Newble at this point....barring any trade that might occur before we start the season. DJ, Crawford, Glover, Ratliff and Dickau are planning to play in the summer league. We passed on Grizzard due to our full roster and his injury. We will have 12 players if we re-sign Newble and we needed to select a player who would not come over this year to play. Also, our doctors felt that Grizzard will miss about 6 months and we need 12 healthy bodies this season after last year's struggles with injuries. Thanks for your interest.

Q - What do you think the starting 5 will look like for the up and coming season? Also do you plan on making any other trades or picking up any free agents?" -- rebel4ds@aol.com

A - The starting five will be determined by their performance in camp...and we are talking trade options daily with teams...thanks for your questions.

Q - "G'day, I was wondering if your second round draft pick, David Andersen, will be given an oppurtunity to make the team (Summer Leagues and camp) or if you'll leave him in the current league to see what development his game takes over the next year or so." -- Patrick Perkes (Sydney, Australia)

A - He is under contract one more year in Italy.

Q - "Pete, I like the drafting of Dickau. Do you think you might invite Smush Parker to camp? What are the Hawks going to do with Jacque Vaughn? I thought that he played well in the 2nd half of the season." -- Joe Minneci

A - Jacque played well for us the second part of the season and we like him....time will tell how things work out for next season. Parker is not coming to our camp since we drafted a point guard. Thanks for your questions.

Q - "I live in Vancouver, Washington and had the pleasure of watching Dan Dickau play in high school and occasionally in college. Although I have never met Dan, I have always been impressed by his unwavering constitution, commitment to excellence and strength of character. Having suffered through several years of the Portland Blazers' array of social misfits, I find Dan a refreshing change. My question is- How prominently did you consider "character" in your selection of Dan? If this is important to you in building a team, then count yourself a new Atlanta Hawks fan." -- Daniel Mulcahy (Vancouver, Washington)

A - Character is equally important to talent....we believe that you have to have both ...thanks for your message.

Q - "Great job pulling trigger on Dan Dickau, we really needed a point guard. Dan is really small at that position, but I'm happy to see him join our roster. Now please sign Ira Newble." -- Tanya Styles

A - Thanks for your comments as always.

Q - "Great job picking up Dickau, I love him. He will make good decisions, plus he's a great shooter. It's also a good idea with the money back guarantee, however I think the East will be much improved next year. If Theo can get healthy we should do fine. Who was the player we got 37?" -- tmoney1212@webtv.net

A - David Andersen from Australia...he plays in Italy and has one more year left on his deal there....should be cleared to play here next season, which is what we were looking for at that pick. Thanks for your comments.

It also looks like Hanno could be involved in a trade as a sign-and-trade option or they could be planning on making room for him with a trade. Pete mentioned that they were talking with several teams and exploring trade options right after he talked about Hanno.

KB they Edited part of my email in ask the GM. I had also asked Pete about some players they were trying to obtain and listed guys like Redd, Donyell Marshall and Devean George. The part about them exploring trades was in reference to that question which didn't get printed.

moved. In addition, I think the player Pete is after is a good all around player, not just a scorer. He is looking for a talented player with size who can defend and is mentally tough. That ought to be one hell of a player! Who is out there who fits that profile? I hope DJ is not included in a deal but I guess he could be for the right player. If we do move DJ though, we had be getting an All Star or future All Star calber player in return or I will be pissed!