• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

Al Horford at 3, Mike Conely at 11.

No that would be 3 mistake, 11 no way we get that lucky.

Horford is the same size as Smith, who is an undersized 4. Playing Horford at C is just a joke. Nobody but Hawks fans is talking about Horford at C.

So, building on this since there's "no way we get that lucky"... Trading Chill/11 to move up and take Conley and then drafting Wright at 3 would be the worst possible scenario in my opinion.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Horford is the same size as Smith, who is an undersized 4. Playing Horford at C is just a joke. Nobody but Hawks fans is talking about Horford at C.

So, building on this since there's "no way we get that lucky"... Trading Chill/11 to move up and take Conley and then drafting Wright at 3 would be the worst possible scenario in my opinion.

any scenario taking Wright at 3 is horrible.

Quote:

Quote:

If playing Hoford at center is a joke then ZaZa is a joke playing center too.

ZaZa is a whole inch taller the Hoford. (Big Deal). ZaZa arms look really short. I bet Hoford and ZaZa standing reach are equal.

Unless you are blocking shots whith your head standing reach trumphs height.

Not to mention Hoford probably has a 6'' higher vertical then ZaZa. ZaZa can barely dunk with 2 hands when uncontested. Hoford will dunk in a 7 footers face b/c he is more atheltic. ZaZa can't finish after contact heis horrid at that. Hoford will finish consistently after contact.

Hoford is a tremendouse upgrade over ZaZa as the starting center. That one inch in height does not amount to a hill of generic 3rd county beans.

This is so freakin' simple to see !

Goals upgrade center and PG:

Hoford upgrades center = check

Conley / Law /Jack upgrade PG = check

Mission accomplished !

The team would be a more cohesive unit since our two most glaring weaknesses have been strengthened.

Wow ! That is some real rocket science !

Granted I'd rather have Gasol but Memphis has to come off their demand for the #11 pick.

I don't see anyone saying he can play anything but spot minutes at C. So in other words we would be drafting him to either

1 back up the 4/5 spots

2 start at the 4 moving Smith to the 3 (where he is less effective. Then marvin, who is a pure 3, would come off the bench.

Quote:

What is simple to see is that you can't have an undersized 4 next to an undersized 5 and not get killed unless they are dominant players and you play at a fast pace.

neither Horford or Smith is dominant and we play at a slow pace.

Zaza can't defend the C spot and Horford won't be able to either. Might as well put Smith at C and Shelden at the 4 or vice/versa. Smith and Horford are the same size.

Quote:

I don't see anyone saying he can play anything but spot minutes at C.

Spot minutes is WAY different than saying he isn't a full time center. That's like saying Childress can play spot minutes at PG. Horford is much more capable, especially given the lack of offensive low post centers in the NBA.

I'm with Dawson, here. Another 3 years of waiting around on a project to develop would be disastrous. JJ would probably blow a gasket if he doesn't get some veteran help and was left to babysit two more kids. hbomb.gif

Quote:

Quote:

A lot of people think Horford can C. And right now, a lot of people think Horford is the 3rd best player in this draft. He's also more NBA-ready than most players in this draft.

Since when is it impossible for an athletic and strong 6'10 guy to play center? Horford should be the pick at 3 if we keep it, without question. If you don't want to call him a C that's fine, but we could definitely be effective with a 3-forward lineup, because Smoove is fine at PF even though he's undersized at Horford would be fine at C.

And anyway, where else in the draft are we going to find a better solution at C? Unless we trade for Gasol, Horford should be our pick. I'm sorry, but Yi or Hawes or whoever else you have in mind as a solution at C is not going to be better at that spot than Horford.

And of course Conely probably won't fall that far. Nevertheless, that's still my ideal scenario. And I don't think it's impossible. Not likely, of course, but best-case scenarios usally don't happen anyway.

Quote:

And anyway, where else in the draft are we going to find a better solution at C?

There is no solution at C in the draft.

Horford will be nothing more than Smiths backup. Simple as that. he isn't a center no matter how much Hawks fans wish that he is.

Horford isn't much stronger than Smith and tested weaker than Shelden. The only reasons people here are thinking he can play center are predraft hype and wishful thinking.

There is no logic involved at all.

Quote:

Quote:

And anyway, where else in the draft are we going to find a better solution at C?

Horford will be nothing more than Smiths backup. Simple as that. he isn't a center no matter how much Hawks fans wish that he is.

Horford isn't much stronger than Smith and tested weaker than Shelden. The only reasons people here are thinking he can play center are predraft hype and wishful thinking.

Tell me this.

How are ZaZa and Lo better centers then Hoford.

If you have a rational response maybe then people will take you seriously.

Quote:

Quote:

What is simple to see is that you can't have an undersized 4 next to an undersized 5 and not get killed unless they are dominant players and you play at a fast pace.

neither Horford or Smith is dominant and we play at a slow pace.

Zaza can't defend the C spot and Horford won't be able to either. Might as well put Smith at C and Shelden at the 4 or vice/versa. Smith and Horford are the same size.

Size isn't the only consideration. It's better to ask if a guy is overmatched at a certain position rather than undersized. And Josh Smith is perfectly capable of playing PF and pulling down rebounds and blocking shots at a rate that is competitive with any PF in the league.

In the same way, I also think Horford will be able to do everything you want a C to do. He'll be able to rebound, to block shots, to post up on offensive, to body up against most big men. Sure, Duncan may be a tough matchup for him...Yao Ming will be too. But those guys are a tough matchup for anyone. And although Horford did have some trouble guarding Oden, he still more than held his own on the boards got plenty of points too.

And that's why I think the Hawks would be great with Horford and Smoove at the 4 and 5 spots. Those guys together means that there's no one for a big, lumbering C to guard. Horford can dribble, he has a mid-range jump shot, he can attack the basket as well as post-up, and if your big and slow you're not going to be able to stay on the court. ESPECIALLY if the Hawks finally figure out that we are more effective as a running team than as a half-court team. And if we could find a way to get Conely, too, we'd finally have a PG who can push the pace.

If we're overloaded at F, why not see if Shelden plus the 11 or Chill plus the 11 could get us back into the top 6 for a chance to grab Conely?

Quote:

They're no perfect solution, but there's one legit center in hawes that's available. I would love to see the hawks find a smart way to come out with conley / hawes and possibly one more asset.

This is what I'm saying. Just being 7'0 feet instead of 6'10 doesn't necessarily make you more of a legit Center. Horford rebounds better than Hawes and blocks more shots, he's more athletic and he's stronger. So I still say Horford is a better prospect at PF or at C than Hawes.

Quote:

And that's why I think the Hawks would be great with Horford and Smoove at the 4 and 5 spots.

So give me some examples of teams that were successful with undersized players at the 4/5 who didn't have the MVP playing the point. jedi.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Shelden has nothing at all to do with Horford. Shelden's standing reach was 3 inches less than Horford's and he was slower and less athletic too. Shelden will be nothing more than Horford's backup, as simple as that. Horford and Smith are more than capable of handling front court duties together.

Quote:

Quote:

And that's why I think the Hawks would be great with Horford and Smoove at the 4 and 5 spots.

So give me some examples of teams that were successful with undersized players at the 4/5 who didn't have the MVP playing the point. jedi.gif

Golden State just took down a Mavs team in the playoffs that had been to the Finals the year before and that had won over 60 games during the regular season.

And they did it with Jason Richardson playing PF and Al Harrington playing C. If Richardson and Harrington can win a playoff series against the number 1 seed in the West with a 6'8 PF and a 6'9 C, I don't see why the Hawks couldn't make the playoffs in the East with Josh Smith and Al Horfod in the front court.

And whether or not you want to try and ignore the fact that the Suns were succesful with a 6'8 PF and a 6'9 C, the fact remains - the Suns WERE succesful with a 6'8 PF and a 6'9 C.

Yeah, they had Steve Nash, but put Steve Nash on a team with terrible "traditional" big men and do you think they'd be as good as the Suns? I don't. The Suns were good because traditional lumbering big men couldn't stay on the floor against Amare and Marion, because those guys were just too quick.