• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's our worst case scenario?

txsting

Quote:

Man you are sure clueless sometimes.

Actually you are and you know it, you're the one who said Smith is as big as Horford in this thread.

Quote:

Funny you were talking about standing reach when comparing Horford to Sheed and when comparing Wright to Horford. Now all of a sudden it is height that matters. I guess you confused youself.

Tell me this. What exactly does standing reach do on the defensive end other than help you on getting blocks? You aren't one of those people who thinks blocking shots equals great defense are you?

Quote:

I have seen Sheed play against Smith many times. How many times have you seen Crit play against Kidd, Cassell, etc?

My point is that you have no proof that Sheed's standing reach is any higher than Horford's and you are using that argument as if it's an absolute fact.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

When you think Horford, think Carlos Boozer.

Boozer is over 260 and has a 9'1" standing reach. And he plays the 4.

By the way, let's look at matchups here. Utah just made the Western Conference Finals. Pretty good, right? So how would Josh Smith and Al Horford stack up against Carlos Boozer and Mehmet Okur?

We've already seen Josh Smith do a great job against Carlos Boozer. The Hawks went on the road against the Jazz and built up a 21-point lead in the 4th quarter before we blew it. But a big reason for that lead is that Josh Smith, with his quickness and athleticism, really bothered Boozer and held him to one of his lowest scoring games of the season. Boozer scored 13 points in that game, Josh Smith scored 23.

So I think it's safe to say that Josh Smith matches up fairly well against Boozer. So that leaves us with Horford versus Mehmet Okur. Okur averages 7 rebounds and less than HALF-A-BLOCK a game. That's the big bad center for a Wetern Conference Finals team whom Horford couldn't possibly match up with, right? I mean, Okur will just be too much for him 'cause Okur is a "true" center.

Personally, I think our big men would be in pretty good shape in this matchup if we drafted Horford.

Quote:

Actually you are and you know it, you're the one who said Smith is as big as Horford in this thread.

How many times do i have to repeat things for you?

Smiths standing reach is only .5" less than Horford and he weighs only a few pounds less. This information is available for everyone to see. What part do you not understand?

Quote:

Tell me this. What exactly does standing reach do on the defensive end other than help you on getting blocks?

it has everything to do with a players size, which is what we are talking about. Don't tell me you forgot already.

A players standing reach is his effective height because you don't play basketball with your head.

Quote:

We've already seen Josh Smith do a great job against Carlos Boozer. The Hawks went on the road against the Jazz and built up a 21-point lead in the 4th quarter before we blew it. But a big reason for that lead is that Josh Smith, with his quickness and athleticism, really bothered Boozer and held him to one of his lowest scoring games of the season. Boozer scored 13 points in that game, Josh Smith scored 23.

So I think it's safe to say that Josh Smith matches up fairly well against Boozer. So that leaves us with Horford versus Mehmet Okur. Okur averages 7 rebounds and less than HALF-A-BLOCK a game. That's the big bad center for a Wetern Conference Finals team whom Horford couldn't possibly match up with, right? I mean, Okur will just be too much for him 'cause Okur is a "true" center.

Personally, I think our big men would be in pretty good shape in this matchup if we drafted Horford.

While I agree with you on everything else in this thread, I went to that game (it was a home game around Christmas time). We looked so good for 3 quarters, built up that huge lead, and then our players panicked and Joe was the only one doing anything (Marvin had a really tough time against Kirelinko).

But, Smoove did not guard Boozer. He was on Okur, and i thought he actually did a good job defending him (Okur was on fire though and had a great game).

Zaza/Lo/Shelly were guarding Boozer.

So, it would more likely be Smoove-Okur, Boozer-Horford, which I think works well for us.

Quote:

Quote:

We've already seen Josh Smith do a great job against Carlos Boozer.

Boozer played one game against the hawks all year and you want to use that as your argument for an undersized 4/5?

I've given a whole bunch of arguments and all you've said is just that "Horford is a 4, Horford is a 4." Basically, you're response tells me that you realize Smith and Horford would match up pretty well against the Jazz and would rather ask a stupid rhetorical question.

But by way of argument, what about the fact that Smith averaged 16 ppg, 9 rpg, and 3 bpg? What about the fact that Horford is 6'10, strong, athletic, averaged nearly 10 rebounds a game and is considered a top 3 pick in one of the deepest draft in years? You really don't think those guys could play together? How many other teams will have two guys with that kind quickness, atheleticism, and strength at the 4 and 5 spots?

Quote:

Worst case scenario:

#3 Wright

#11 (Conley, Law & Critt are allready off the board)

BK gets the names confused and drafts Marc Gasol

Good to hear from you again Mr. Levenson.

Quote:

What is simple to see is that you can't have an undersized 4 next to an undersized 5 and not get killed unless they are dominant players and you play at a fast pace.

/quote]

That's my whole beef with the Smith/Zaza combo. Zaza is about 6'10", but he is a worse athlete than Nazr. I'm all for trading for Gasol, despite the fact that I know he is not a true center, and as long as the Hawks don't overpay for him by trading away Marvin, Josh Smith, or sending Memphis both lottery picks. A combo of the #3, Childress (foot injuries bother me), and one of Shelden/Lue/AJ is all I would give them. If they get a better offer somewhere else,then so be it.

Worst case scenario for me is taking Brandan Wright.

• Moderators

My "realistic" worst case scenario is:

#3 - Brandon Wright

#11 - Jeff Green over Conley

BK later says Wright is the best prospect in the draft and Green was #5 on his board and represented too much value to pass on.

Quote:

Basically, you're response tells me that you realize Smith and Horford would match up pretty well against the Jazz and would rather ask a stupid rhetorical question.

No they don't. Boozer has 20 pounds on both and has a longer reach. And Okur is bigger still. The Horford/Smith combo is badly undersized against them.

You point to one game where Boozer had 13 points (and Okur had 30) as if that has any relevance. One game doesn't mean anything.

Quote:

Quote:

A players standing reach is his effective height because you don't play basketball with your head.

I knew you'd dodge that question.

I didn't dodge any question. You just changed the subject. You went from talking strictly about size to talking about defense.

I don't have any "proof" that Dikembe's standing reach is any higher than Josh Smith's but i know that it is because i have a sixth sense called common sense which you obviously lack.

We are talking about undersized front lines. You are trying to argue that i don't have proof that Rasheed has a longer reach than Smith, then all of a sudden you change the argument to defense out of the blue as if that has any relevance.

Given the stupidity of your recent arguments i know one of these two things are true.

Either

1) you are an idiot.

or

2) you are acting like an idiot just to annoy me.

Whichever the case may be it doesn't matter because you have just joined ncthompson on my ignore list.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Worst case scenario:

#3 Wright

#11 (Conley, Law & Critt are allready off the board)

BK gets the names confused and drafts Marc Gasol

Good to hear from you again Mr. Levenson.

Can you explain that one to the class? color.gif

Mr. (Bruce) Levenson is one of the Hawk's owners. He posts on HawkSquawk from time to time.

Quote:

They're no perfect solution, but there's one legit center in hawes that's available. I would love to see the hawks find a smart way to come out with conley / hawes and possibly one more asset.

Hawes is a stiff. I think that this board insists on having a caucasian american center on the squad at all costs. Not to sound like a member of the Nation of Islam but when was the last time you saw a successful white american born center in the NBA? I know that I am an azz for going there but I am just tryin to be real. Bradley? Laettner? Brad Miller?

Quote:

Quote:

And that's why I think the Hawks would be great with Horford and Smoove at the 4 and 5 spots.

So give me some examples of teams that were successful with undersized players at the 4/5 who didn't have the MVP playing the point. jedi.gif

Alonzo Mourning

Jayson Williams

Ben Wallace

Moses Malone

Antonio Davis

2 Hall of Famers, 5 all stars, all centers 6'10'' or under.

Quote:

What does any post have to do with Levenson? The only time Levenson posts is when he is doing a tix deal.

Read between the lines. My sarcasm was apparently lost on a few of you. A previous poster talked about how BK might screw up this year's draft (worst case scenario). He was a first-time poster. I joked that the poster was one of the owners (Bruce Levenson).

It was funnier without the explanation . . .