• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

You have to give BK credit for trying

Sothron

Our bench isn't awful with that situation.

You still got ZaZa, Shelden, Salim, Speedy/T. Lue, Solomon Jones. Wow that is pretty empty coming to think of it. I would start Shelden at PF and put Smoove at SF. Now you're talking about two huge guys (Shelden and Howard) at the two big positions, and Smoove at his natural.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the trade. smile.gif Kudos to BK.

Marvin/Horford/Milicic is a promising frontcourt. The main positive for Orlando would be that they wouldn't have to dish out an $80 million contract for anyone this year. Adding Marvin also could keep them from pursuing Rashard Lewis and holding out for Arenas next year.

Arenas / Marvin / Horford / Milicic is a nice little core.

Anyways, getting Dwight is a pipe dream but I'd be thrilled to get him.

Javaris / Joe / Smith / Shelden / Dwight could do things. That lineup is ten times better than the Orlando lineup that got them to the playoffs. Not only that but every player in that lineup still has a lot of room under their ceiling to improve upon.

Quote:

Our bench isn't awful with that situation.

You still got ZaZa, Shelden, Salim, Speedy/T. Lue, Solomon Jones. Wow that is pretty empty coming to think of it. I would start Shelden at PF and put Smoove at SF. Now you're talking about two huge guys (Shelden and Howard) at the two big positions, and Smoove at his natural.

Our bench wouldn't really be any more awful than it is today, but our bench is terrible today. This just shifts the awfulness from Center/Shooting Guard to Small Foward/Shooting Guard. Zaza is absolutely a capable backup, so we'd be fine at Center (compared to Blo as our backup), but in this new scenario there's nobody to backup Childress at SF.

Best case scenario would Shelden Williams and Solomon Jones improving and being able to get significant minutes at PF, so that Josh Smith can essentially act as both the starting PF and the backup SF.

• Premium Member

The owners want very badly to make the playoffs this year and to justify Knight/Woodson's tenure to the fans. If we fail to make the playoffs next year I do not think either Knight or Woodson would survive.

The more I think about it, the more I think it could work from a backup perspective. Between SF and PF, we need 96 minutes a game. If we get 35 each from Childress and Josh Smith, then we just need Shelden and Solomon Jones to eat up 26 minutes a game. That's doable.

Of course we're screwed as soon as somebody gets injured.

Quote:

The owners want very badly to make the playoffs this year and to justify Knight/Woodson's tenure to the fans. If we fail to make the playoffs next year I do not think either Knight or Woodson would survive.

And I dont think they would deserve the right to stay here without making the playoffs. People losing there jobs this year had better records then woodson. Thats why I think they take horford at #3 or a trade. Just not enough time imo for wright and Yi.

If Crittenton does show up here, you know Dwight will be licking his chops to come play with his former teamates (high school and aau).

Quote:

I mean, gosh, a starting 5 of Acie Law, Joe Johnson, Josh Childress, Josh Smith, and Dwight Howard? That team can definitely compete in the Eastern conference. Our bench would be awful, but that's something that can be addressed over time.

how exactly would our bench be awful?

at pg, speedy/lue are 2 of the top backup pgs in the league

at center, zaza would be one of the top 5 backup centers in the league

we'd also still have shelden/solo/slim/aj as well

Wow, that trade would be magnificent for the Hawks if it went through. The Magic would be pretty good too.

As for the Hawks bench, regardless of what is done in the draft the Hawks need to add another shooter off the bench who can play the 2 while JJ rests. Childress is much better at backing up the 3. I would suggest Jason Kapono, who should be available and relatively cheap. He would fit in nicely to a rotation at the 2/3 spots.

• Premium Member

Sothron, great insight as always! Protect your sources!

Your comment is why I believe one or both picks may be traded for veteran help. Expectations are high and not making the playoffs this year will be unacceptable. I cannot see us going into the regular season with 2 rookies from this draft and expecting to make the playoffs.

That said, this looks like a 'fair' proposal that provides benefits, both from a competitive and marketing standpoint, for both teams. Hopefully, ORL is still considering it.

I'm considering going to the draft in NY this year (will already be there on business). I went 2 years ago with my Dad at one of the ballrooms in Madison Square Garden and had a great time. If your sources have any insight on how to connect with the ATL representatives, let me know.

Why not thow in #11 too.

#3, #11, and Marvin for Howard.

If Smooth does not produce at SF he could alwasyse go back to PF and start Chills at SF.

If they turn that down I would counter with:

Smith and #3 for Howard.

I'd try about anything for Howard.

Quote:

It is very rare to see a player of Howard's status traded within the same division. I see the only ways Howard coming here is via free agency or if he demanded to be dealt and we made the best offer.

I dont know if we could even afford Howard by the time his contract comes up (I gotta think hes a max player). Gonna be real interesting to see how much Josh Smith gets. And its gonna even be more interesting if Javaris Crittenton (howards ex hs teammate) and Josh Smith (aau buddy)are here together when Howard is considering his next move.

I guarantee Josh and Dwight would work it out to stay together. A team can have 2 near max players and be just fine with 1 more 'big' salaried player. The question is more about when it comes time to resign players like Shelden and the PG we take at #11 but that shouldn't keep you from making plans now with more important pieces. I personally feel like a deal for Josh Smith around 6 year / 50 million is more than fair although it will probably be more like 6 years / 60M. We'd actually be in a similar position to Phoenix with Nash / Amare / Marion salary wise but without the TERRIBLE contracts of Boris Diaw smile.gif , Marcus Banks, etc.

Would ya'll be willing to do the deal if we had to eat Tony Battie's contract? To sweeten this deal, it gets tough because of salaries/needs matching up.

Trade: Marvin/#3/ZaZa for Howard/Battie

It works under the cap rules, but Battie's contract doesn't expire for another 3 seasons. That would make it nearly impossible to re-sign both Howard and Smoove. I think Orlando would be foolish not to do it, and I'm not so sure we wouldn't be crazy for doing it.

Nelson/Arroyo/Dooling

Turkoglu/Bogans/Reddick

Williams/Ariza/??(#54)

Horford (#3)/Garrity/Augustine

Millic/Pachulia/Gasol (#44)

Speedy/Lue/Crittendon (#11)

Johnson/Johnson/Stoudamire

Childress

Smith/Williams/Jones

Howard/Battie/Wright

I don't know. It looks good for this season, but tough to figure it our salary wise the next. Childress would either have to be dealt or let walk at the end of the season.