• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks fans = Stuck in mediocrity...

Diesel

Quote:

If he's being guarded by the opposing PF or CR, Yi should be able to take most of them off the dribble.

Which he never did.

Watching him finish on the break when i first started watching him i immediately assumed he could beat guys easily off the dribble in the half court. But he simply doesn't do it.

The only way he can dribble from the perimeter to the basket is if the lane parts like the Red Sea.

But i would say he can finish on the break very well.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm scared of his defense as well and he does remind me of a 7 foot Morrison. That just doesn't work.

I also think Durants defense will suck and that is why Oden is the easy choice. People here (Diesel) never take defense into account and it is a huge part of the equation.

I'm now:

1. Conley

2. Horford

3. Noah

Yes, I would even take Noah over Yi because of his energy and his ability to run the floor. He needs to add 20 pounds but so does Yi.

"I'm now:

1. Conley

2. Horford

3. Noah"-------Texas Pete

I can't see us using the #3 pick on Conley. Unless Billy sees something and is in love. I'm for taking the PG @11. At first I was so anti-Noah it wasn't funny....and I still am...but I think he'll be a similar player to Anderson Varejao and that he could help ANY team. But if we're shooting for more than a good role player he's not the right pick.

Quote:

The only reason I could come up with for picking Yi is to try to gain more revenue/publicity. Besides that, he doesn't fill any need. That is not the same as saying he sucks or will be a bust, we just don't have a need for what he does well and his liabilities will only increase what are already our liabilities.

I agree completely.

• Premium Member

Defense is a taught team practice. It can definitely be learned.

7 foot, 240+ can't be learned.

Speed Can't be learned.

Agility Can't be learned.

body control can't be learned.

There is nothing about Yi that says he can't learn to be a better defender. In fact, I think we should stick to a team concept on defense...

Moreover, let's talk about the translation of defense on this level. How many great defenders actually translate?

If I were guess, I would say about 30%...

Why make a case for a "great defender" when it's possible that he not translate at all?

If you're touting Horford as a great defender, you must be joking. Go back, look at all the guys who had career days against florida... and come back and apologize. For starters: JWright, Oden, Thornton just off the tip top... If they had played better competition, I could mention more. Oh yeah, THE BU at LSU...

Don't you see the problem. You want to have a conversation about defense when you don't have a good defender to talk up...

And you realize that Horford's offense is subpar in comparison to Yi's. So yea, I'm talking about how any draft pick will help our team. I'm not make believing anything that's not there.

• Premium Member

Just replying to last message in thread:

What exactly is exodus lying about? He has said several times he liked his first views of Yi but the more games he watched the less he liked him. He also said he was worried about Yi's upper body strength. Where is the duplicity?

• Premium Member

Let's come back to Yi.

My point is ... IF that's the defensive scheme of the team, how can you be critical of it?

When evaluating a player (unless you plan on using the same scheme) you have to look at the players attributes and determine if he fits what you're trying to accomplish or need to accomplish.

Again, there's nothing about Yi that says He can't play defense.

Let me give you an example.

Many Years ago, it was a possibility for us to get Arvydas Sabonis (if Babcock wasn't so bumbling.)...

Well, Sabonis cannot be a good defender. He was big with bad knees and poor lateral movement.

Yi is the exact opposite. He has great lateral movement. He's already got good timing as a shot blocker. He's fast. He has a long wingspan. He has good hand to eye coordination.

Can you see beyond the Box fanatic?

If all you have as a negative comment is "Well, he just played in the middle of a horrible zone"... Well, damnit, you're looking at the wrong thing. Look at his physical atrributes.. It's not what does he do now it's what CAN HE DO!

• Premium Member

I agree about Sabonis. The guy was a fantastic positional defender who could his own position in the low post against anyone, including Shaq. The only two people who could do that to Shaq were Hakeem and Deke and Ewing to an extent. Same with David Robinson. Sabonis was excellent despite having bad knees if anything.

• Premium Member

Sabonis was not a great defender. At least, not when he wasn't clashing with other goliaths who were as slow. He was a slow footed defender with bad knees and bad lateral movement. His craftiness kept him afloat. Sabonis was the offensive play maker and Davis was the defense.

Anyway, back on topic...

Yi has no deficiencies in his defensive potential. Period.

You keep reaching and grabbing for some tangent point to talk about, but the truth is: Wingspan, Speed, Agility, shot blocking timing, Length... Everything you like to see in good defenders he has it. That's the irrefutable bottom line.