• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gasol/Calderon vs Amare

txsting

Assume for a moment that these deals are more or less on the table for us, and both deals require roughly the same trade assets (#3, #11, Childress or Shelden, expirings). I'm assuming the trades happen after the picks are made so that Atlanta does not need to take back a first round pick either this year or next.

Which way do you go? It's a tough call.

Personally - I go with Gasol/Calderon. Gasol puts up the same offensive production without Nash to help him. Gasol is softer on D but it's more than offset by getting Calderon. With Amare, we don't have a real good opportunity to acquire a young PG - that is huge. I'm very concerned about Amare's apparent inability to get along with his teammates and coaches, and the expectation that he will require future knee surgeries. Gasol and Calderon have a demonstrated rapport and friendship, and I expect they would have better chemistry with the rest of the clubhouse. Gasol has been a pain at times, but I think it's more because he wants to win so badly. Amare is in a near perfect situation and still can't get along.

The kicker for me is that you can run an offense through Gasol. He's such a good passer and player that he benefits the offense in ways other than his own scoring. Gasol has averaged 4 assists a game the past two seasons, compare to about 1 for Amare.

Amare is more the athletic beast who beats you because he's quicker/faster/longer than you. I do like the fact that he can really hit his FT's. Amare also fills more seats and attracts a lot more attention to the Hawks.

Either option would be a lot better than drafting rookies, IMO. Hopefully BK will be in a position to choose.

I might be going crazy but I think I lean more towards Gasol than Amare. Gasol is a pure 7-foot low post scorer with and outside shot. He is a perfect fit for Joe on the pick and role AND the high/low two man game. Amare won't extend the defense as well as Pau. I am afraid that Josh may be a bit duplicated with Amare as well. Not that having two athletic freaks is bad - just not as diverse should we run into a tall front line or off night.

Pau really gives us more options. Calderon is a bonus.

I'd LOVE to have Pau/Calderon but I think Amare has just scratched the surface of the player he can become and he is already a first team All NBA performer. I think he is more physical than Pau even though Pau is bigger and I think that he and Josh Smith would form the most athletic frontcourt in the NBA.