• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who is the next "can't miss" NBA prospect...

DavidSomerset

I haven't really heard of anyone who will be in the NBA in the near future that has been generating the same type of buzz as these guys did.

-LeBron

-Oden

-Duncan

The 2008 class (Rose, Mayo, Beasley) certainly does not seem to have one of these guys, and I remember hearing about LeBron and Oden when they were freshmen and sophomores..

Who is the next "can't miss" that is in their class?

I've been hearing about OJ Mayo for a while, but that buzz has simmered down a bit over the last year or so. There was a rumor floating around that he might be the first high school kid to try Stern's ruling about being out of high school for a year.

Quote:

The 2008 class (Rose, Mayo, Beasley) certainly does not seem to have one of these guys, and I remember hearing about LeBron and Oden when they were freshmen and sophomores..

Are you kidding? OJ Mayo's name has been out for YEARS.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Are you kidding? OJ Mayo's name has been out for YEARS.

OJ Maya is considered overrated by a lot of people, though. I follow UK basketball very closely. He has been covered in the press since 6th grade in Kentucky. Nevertheless, people were not excited at all about him being recruited by UK.

Quote:

I've been hearing about OJ Mayo for a while,
but that buzz has simmered down a bit over the last year or so.
There was a rumor floating around that he might be the first high school kid to try Stern's ruling about being out of high school for a year.

I've been hearing about Mayo since he was very young as well...But I think it's obvious that now he has not turned out to be the type of prospect people thought he would be.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

OJ Maya is considered overrated by a lot of people, though.

So was Lebron James. So was Greg Oden.

People are naturally skeptical about people who are hyped up that much by the media

James and Oden are not anywhere near the same level of skepticism as Mayo, though. Mayo is not a lock to be the top draft pick or a can't miss prospect. Lebron and Oden fell in the category of prohibitive favorites to be the top overall pick and were considered can't miss prospects.

Mayo is somewhere between Lebron and Felipe Lopez, the NY City basketball phenom from the 1990s.