• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Where is this not a PG coming from on Law....

GoDawgs21

So the kid was raised by his dad to be a true PG and wouldn't let him shoot for the first 2 years he learned the game.

He was voted the best college PG last year.

Everyone points to his scoring. But name one other player on that Texas A&M team. Law has mentioned this and so did his coach. Law wanted to win and with that team to win he had to score. His coach has said he had to beg him to shoot more and pass less. Put him on a team with Oden, Cook, and the other players Conley had and I think he would have more assist and fewer shots.

Everyone looks at his clutch shooting at the end of games as him being a shoot first pg, but if you watched a A&M game you would have seen the first 30 minutes a guy trying to get his team involved and distributing the ball, but then in the last 10 minutes he knows if he wants to win its on him.

I see Law's shoot first label as that of necessity and not that of being his real game. For those comparing him to Salim they are forgetting one thing. Salim has always been a SG it was when he got to the NBA because of his size he had to become a PG. Law has always been and will always be a PG.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Salim has always been a SG it was when he got to the NBA because of his size he had to become a PG. Law has always been and will always be a PG.

This is a good point about the Salim comparison. I hope Law is enough of a Pg AND enøugh of a talent to be a team difference maker. He can't be worse than our existing Pgs IMO but that should not in anyway be the standard. We need a surprise out fo him a bit. Maybe he'll be "truer" than we all thought.

W

Quote:

He was voted the best college PG last year.

I do not understand why all the criticism on Law being a true PG when he won the Bob Cousy Award last year.

I beleive he will adjust his game to fit our need and prove he is the guard we need.

• Premium Member

It comes from people who don't think that a PG can score and be a good distributor. Same people wanted us to pick a PG who couldn't shoot.

Here's my prediction.

Kyle Lowry will beat out Conley Jr. as starting PG.

if he is allowed to?

I agree. I was one of the ones wanting Yi/Law. So by the same standard I am ok with Horford/Law.

What I don't understand is during the season watching games I told everyone we need to get Indy's pick and take Law. He was clearly a PG we needed. Then Conley has a decent tourney and all the hype machines jump on the band wagon and all of a sudden nobody wants Law.

So if we can get the PG that I wanted all year watching games at 11 and also get a PF/C in this draft I am very excited.

I think having Speedy healthy and Law is going to be huge. Speedy can play against quicker smaller guards like Boykins, Ford, etc. Then we also have Law to play the Kidds and Billups.

• Premium Member

Quote:

What I don't understand is during the season watching games I told everyone we need to get Indy's pick and take Law. He was clearly a PG we needed. Then Conley has a decent tourney and all the hype machines jump on the band wagon and all of a sudden nobody wants Law.

The hype machine works just that way. It forgets about shooting. It forgets about Synergistic efforts from teammates. All the hype machine cares about are standing reaches, 3/4 times, and 185 pound bench presses. Also the hype machine loves sound bites, recommendation from biased sources, and the "P" word (Potential).

Usually, when you look it over, there's no rhyme nor reason for the hype...

I mean, it was pointed out that Marvin shriveled in big games. Totally ignored. The key is that the hype machine is always willing to attack rather than recognize and defend.

For example... "Conley can't shoot, he's a 69% FT shooter and he's terrible from midrange."

Common response: "Law and Critt are not pure PGs."

Another example: "Horford is not a good defender and he's not a volume scorer, he only had 2 20+ games this season."

Common response: "Yi plays in the CBA where the competition is not as strong."

Another example: "Marvin struggled in big games and looked down right terrible in the final NCAA games and he also looked bad in workouts."

Common response: "Chris Paul is too small to play in the NBA. Deron Williams is fat.".

So when you hear the attack on Law, it's the hype machines way of dealing with questions that it doesn't want to recognize. As in the Chris Paul-Deron case, there's absolutely nothing true about what the hype machine says, it's just the diversion!

• Premium Member

That's an unanswerable question. There's a lot of factors to consider:

1. Big Pgs were in style then. Everybody wanted their big PG who could post up and score.

2. The players were choosen by Vancouver and Charlotte respectively... In my opinion, Miller was the better choice, but each team had their preference...

For instance, Charlotte had a guy named David Wesley who did play PG and Davis did play OG. And for a few years, that was a good strong combination of guys who played the guard position and were physical about it. I think Kenny Smith called them "the body Snatchers" because they would play that physical post up style. I don't know if that was Charlotte's plan all along, but that's how it worked out.

Vancouver is a mystery. Nobody knows exactly how they planned on using Francis. I mean they had this guy named Antonio Daniels that they had drafted previously to be their "Penny Hardaway" PG... Who knows how they would have worked that situation. Have Daniels be the ball handler and Francis play the OG was definitely possible. In fact,when he got to Houston, meeting Catino Mobley was probably the best Partner he could have a shooter who could drain the 3...And having Hakeem and Charles(I think) made life really easy because that's 2 post players who can finish...

Yes, I like the potential PG rotation of Claxton and Law. I love having the depth to work matchups like that.

The thing I keep hearing about Law is how ambidextrous he is. Apparently, he's shoots from long distance off his left wing, but he's really right handed. He can finish from close range with either hand, and can pass off both wings as well.

I have questions about whether his shooting range will extend to the NBA line, since he has a funky release and no rotation. I guess we'll have to wait and see on that.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Law. We really need to luck up with this one.

Quote:

Quote:

Kyle Lowry will beat out Conley Jr. as starting PG.

Asssuming Lowry is healthy, I agree.

i'm a huge lowry fan. i was telling bk to trade down and nab him in last year's sorry draft. don't forget, memphis basically drafted the exact same player two years in a row. both short pg's, lightning quick, tremendous on the ball defenders, great finisher, wonderful facilitators but they don't have much range on their shot. you think they might let us borrow one of them?

Quote:

i'm a huge lowry fan. i was telling bk to trade down and nab him in last year's sorry draft. don't forget, memphis basically drafted the exact same player two years in a row. both short pg's, lightning quick, tremendous on the ball defenders, great finisher, wonderful facilitators but they don't have much range on their shot. you think they might let us borrow one of them?

Unfortunately Memphis needs both Conley and Lowry. Their only other PG is Damon Stoudamire. Chucky Atkins is a FA.

• 3 months later...

For me, Law is very much in the mold of Doc Rivers. A smart player who doesn't have a consistent long-range shot, but is clutch. Rivers was a great penetrating guard. His size was one of his best assests as well.

Law is, IMO, is going to be a solid NBA pg. He may make a few All-Star teams, but not every year.