• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Are we going to do ANYTHING in FA??

DavidSomerset

With Josh Smith and Josh Childress needing contract extensions I highly doubt it maybe be someone really cheap. I would really like for us to go after Darko and Stevenson granted it doesnt effect the resigning of Jsmoove. Those two guys would realy help fill us out they bring defense and more skill to the team.

Other then give Cenk a try out. There is really nothing to do. As mention the contract situation with Chill and Smoove need to be taken care of. Even if we don't plan on keeping Chill around long term. Let re-sign him so we have a valuable trading chip down the line. Lastly just look at the FA class this year. Who out there is worth getting?

Cenk Akyol is training with Tim Grober in Chicago right now. Billy Knight, Gary Fitzsimmons, Terry Knight, and Mike Woodson are supposed to go watch him sometime next week. Cenk will then leave to play for Turkey's national team this summer. Tim Grober thinks Cenk Akyol can make the Hawks roster. Cenk is 6'6" and can shoot from anywhere on the court according to Tim Grober.

Saw one video. Not enough to go on I'm sure, but his game reminded me of Morrison or a young Korver. Is he a better shooter than Salim? Probably not.

I'm not sure why we need him right now. wave23d.gifWe need a defensive big, and Cenk is not it.

The team needs someone who can dominate on defense for at least 15 minutes a game. At this point I'd be willing to give Haywood a try. Is Washington still looking to get rid of him?

There's that Greek guy too, Papadapadapolis or whatever his name is. Last I heard, there was still at least some mutual interest there. But if we signed him, we would have so many freaking point guards. We'd have to trade one off, which we probably should do anyway. Just wait for the right deal to come along....

Magic Working To Unload Contracts To Keep Darko

July 7, 2007 - 3:57 pm

Florida Today -

Hoping to clear enough salary-cap space so they can retain center-power forward Darko Milicic, the Orlando Magic continued sign-and-trade negotiations Friday with the Seattle SuperSonics .

The Magic have already convinced small forward Rashard Lewis, 27, to sign with a five-year, $75 million deal with them on Wednesday. Now, Orlando is looking to maneuver so that it can hang on to the 7-foot Milicic to fortify the frontline.

The Magic are trying to peddle the expiring contracts of Carlos Arroyo ($4 million), Garrity ($3.8 million) and Keyon Dooling ($3.5 million) to the Sonics. They are willing to sweeten the deal by including one or more future first- and second-round draft picks.

Any of these guys look to be an upgrade for us?????

Big men that dominate on defense aren't available. It's a rare commodity in the NBA these days, and if a team has one, they aren't going to trade him. Brendan Haywood is a back up big man in the NBA. He's a solid defender but is certainly not a dominant defender. I wouldn't mind getting him, but the question is who do you trade for him. I wouldn't trade any of the core assets for a guy who is at best a back up on this team, even if a couple of those core assets are back ups on this team as well.

No.

Carlos Arroyo lit the Hawks up this past season when they played the Magic, but he did very little else against other teams. Plus, he's not a good defender.

Keyon Dooling is a bit player that would only further muddle the back up point guard situation.

If the Hawks make a move for a veteran point guard, then it has to be Jarrett Jack, IMO. I was thinking earlier today about how the Hawks ended up getting Mookie Blaylock in 1993. Mookie was drafted in the 1st round by the New Jersey Nets in 1989. He was injured during his rookie season and had two productive seasons as a starter for the Nets. However, the Nets used the 2nd pick in the 1991 draft on Kenny Anderson, and when they made a coaching change, they made a change at point guard as well. Atlanta dealt Rumeal Robinson for Mookie Blaylock and Roy Hinson. It's probably the greatest trade Pete Babcock ever made. Mookie was a solid starter that was pushed out of his original job by another player that his team held in higher regard. I look at Jarrett Jack's situation, and I see some similarities. Jarrett Jack is a solid starting point guard in the NBA. However, it's pretty obvious that the Trailblazers may be looking at Sergio Rodriguez as a long term option at the point guard spot, and there is also talk that they are trying to bring back Steve Blake. Jarrett Jack is being pushed out of Portland. I'd seriously consider giving Portland Josh Childress if they would be willing to give the Hawks Jarrett Jack and Martell Webster.

I'd like to get Bogans and would gladly take on his salary, but I don't think we have the cap room to do that unless we gave up salary on our end in which case Orlando isn't interested.

I think Orlando's best shot would be to reach out to a team like Golden State who has a TPE where they can just take on the salary. I think they would consider Arroyo. Given B.Diddy's injury history, I think they are likely looking to add another pg.

Quote:

Cenk Akyol is training with Tim Gro
v
er in Chicago right now. Billy Knight, Gary Fitzsimmons, Terry Knight, and Mike Woodson are supposed to go watch him sometime next week. Cenk will then leave to play for Turkey's national team this summer. Tim Gro
v
er thinks Cenk Akyol can make the Hawks roster. Cenk is 6'6" and can shoot from anywhere on the court according to Tim Gro
v
er.

Fixed.

I think we're watching how things shake out right now. Usually those who are most active at the beginning of free agency tend to overspend. Rashard Lewis and Jason Kapano already this year. We did it with Speedy last year.

Teams are still trying to figure out who they can and cannot sign. I don't think we will sign any significant free agents due to our court imposed salary restrictions. We may sign someone to a minimum type deal to fill out the roster, but I doubt we'll see more than that.

Now trades are another story. I think we need to make some trades to balance out the roster. We have 5 point guards. I think we need to try to move one of them to add depth at the 2/3 spot. That being said, it is probably dificult to do trades right now because many teams are trying to fill their holes via free agency. Teams will likely be more willing to make trades after the free agency situation has sorted itself out a bit more.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Jarrett Jack is being pushed out of Portland.
I'd seriously consider giving Portland Josh Childress if they would be willing to give the Hawks Jarrett Jack and Martell Webster.

You love Jack but you'd only consider it if Portland threw in Martell Webster? I mean come on. JC is in a contract year and we shouldn't be able to resign him (assuming he wants to remain a BU for his career which he doesn't). While I'd love that deal too, be realistic. If you "love Jack" you can't expect you won't get Jack AND Webster for "Jack". No, I'm not trying to put Childress down but he's not really more valuable than Jack given all his (coach aided) injuries.

W

• Admin

Chil/Salim/2008 2nd rounder for Webster/Jack

Chil is the top player in the deal but we get our pg and we also finally have our backup sg who can also backup sf.

They get Salim and his instand offense off the bench and a 2nd rounder.

I think it works out for Portland because with their draft this year, Webster became expendable. As well, Sergio is trying to become the starter and they also have Francis which makes Jack expendable. Their top need is a sf which Chil fits the bill perfectly.

Its a win win for both teams.

I'm of the same mind as KB on this one. It would be nice to have a point guard of Jack's stature, but I don't think we should trade Chillz without getting another 2/3 type player in return. Our depth behind JJ is Chillz and pretty much only Chillz. That is it. Salim might play the two on offense, but he isn't going to guard many SG's on defense. I'd gladly do Salim/Chillz for Webster/Jack, but that is about the most I would offer. If Portland is desperate enough for a swingman, they might bite. The other bonus of dealing with Portland is Chillz's upcoming contract would likely be no big deal as they have the richest owner in the league. If Portland says no, then IMO, you move on to the next deal.

However...

If there is another way to replenish the depth at the SG spot, I think a Chillz for Jack swap would be a fair deal that would benefit both teams. With our current limitations though, I think you have to ask for a little more and hope you catch someone in need so that we are able to maintain roster balance.