Solomon Jones: The Forgotten One

BusBoyIsBack

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why all the ZaZa hate??

He's no all-star...but, if he were on the trading block...there are many, many teams (spurs included) that would line up for this guy...

Same teams that are scratching their heads as to why they didn't pursue him two year ago...

He's an adequate, competent 7 footer...and they're hard to come by...not to mention he's CHEAP...and he's still the teams best option at center (right now)

Quote:

True, but that doesn't mean I can't be intrigued by the guy
wink.gif

He was incredibly raw last year and was often a liability on the floor (turnovers, fouls, easily fooled, a non-factor on offense... etc.).

I don't have my hopes up for him at all, but it would be nice to be pleasantly surprised for once.

We have to keep in mind that SJ is like Marvin was in his second year as a Hawk. He has not had that many years of organized basketball. Which means, even though he may be 24, him basketball maturity is more like 20. He needs coaching and off season work and could become a Camby-like player.

• Premium Member

The Zaza hate is inevitable now.

Hawks fans do that. We get a good player at a bargain. We duplicate that player's skillset in the draft. In order for us to justify drafting said player, we must hate the bargain player and constantly request that players trade.

Example: Al Harrington and Marvin.

We drafted Marvin when we had 5 other Sfs on the roster. After drafting Marvin, the call to trade Al by any means came up. Even though AL was a very cheap Bargain player who was playing PF.

Now, we have Horford.

The only way to justify taking Horford is trading Shelden, getting rid of Batista and diminishing Both Zaza and Solomon.

Just watch, that's what the board does to justify a bad pick...

It's a shame that we just can't welcome a new skillset and appreciate the bargains that we already have!!

Quote:

We drafted Marvin when we had 5 other Sfs on the roster. After drafting Marvin, the call to trade Al by any means came up. Even though AL was a very cheap Bargain player who was playing PF.

If Al was any good we would resign him. So by your logic we should of traded Smoove last summer because we got Shelden and they play the same position. Or perhaps right now because Horford is a Pf as well. uglyhammer.gif

This board wants to keep players who will help us, and get rid of those who don't play D like AL. It doesn't matter what their contract is like and whether you like them or not.

Acutually, I was listening to Coach Pop earlier in the season...and he made reference to him and other teams that missed the boat on ZaZa when they were looking for a compliment to Duncan (Remember the Nesterovic signing!!)...

That's why I say the would line up to get him...he's a better Oberto IMO..

Quote:

The Zaza hate is inevitable now.

Hawks fans do that. We get a good player at a bargain. We duplicate that player's skillset in the draft. In order for us to justify drafting said player, we must hate the bargain player and constantly request that players trade.

Now, we have Horford.

The only way to justify taking Horford is trading Shelden, getting rid of Batista and diminishing Both Zaza and Solomon.

Just watch, that's what the board does to justify a bad pick...

It's a shame that we just can't welcome a new skillset and appreciate the bargains that we already have!!

Also a shame we can't appreciate the NEW skillset.

Harrington and Zaza are two guys who could contribute offensively but neither had any interest playing D which is a disastrous formula especially in the post-season.

I don't think it's insulting to say a player with the athletic gifts of Solomon Jones could move ahead of Zaza Pachulia with some added strength and weight in the post.

He may not replace Zaza's 12 points per game, but he won't make every opposing player look like an All-NBA offensive juggernaut either

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Didn't you give up on Shelden the second he was drafted?

Was I wrong too?

Didn't think so.

W

Thanks for proving my point. LOL, you don't even understand why I wrote that.

Yes I did. I just didn't care.

W

Quote:

There you have it. Solomon and SW are two ends of the Horford spectrum. Solomon is the athletic but less strong, underskilled/less-productive end. SW is the less athletic but stronger, more productive end.
It seems like we had Horford bookended!

i'm pretty sure there were more athletic, but less strong/underskilled/less-productive players than [insert allstar here]...and i'm sure there were less athlettic, but stronger, more productive than [insert allstar here]...so i guess [insert allstar here] was bookended!

sucks for that team who took the allstar, huh?

Guest Walter

Quote:

So you think Horford won't be better than Shelden or Solomon?

3rd pick better at center? No!

Now if Horford had a chance in hell of being better than JS or JJ then I'd consider it regardless because we needed a superstar. I just don't see it AT ALL.

W

If you put Solo on Florida, they still win the title, maybe in more exciting fashion. I would be very suprised if Solo does not more than hold his own against Horford. I think Solo can do the things we drafted Horford for. That's why I was against the pick so much. I wanted to draft Yi and flip him to the highest bidder.

Quote:

If you put Solo on Florida, they still win the title, maybe in more exciting fashion. I would be very suprised if Solo does not more than hold his own against Horford. I think Solo can do the things we drafted Horford for. That's why I was against the pick so much. I wanted to draft Yi and flip him to the highest bidder.

Lol see now you guys are missing the point and being ridiculous.

Horford is a guy with great strengh/athleticism combo with the ability to push the ball up the floor, score in uptempo, and score with his back to the basket. He is also an exceptional passer and has an incredibly high basketball IQ.

Solo's problem is he's incredibly raw and his basketball IQ is not that great right now. ANd he's obviously got to become a better physical specimen. And he may never be as big as Horford in mass.

THey are nothing alike.

The point is that Solo could be a big time contributor for this team off the bench with rebounding and weakside shotblocking ability.

Quote:

I would be very suprised if Solo does not more than hold his own against Horford.

Horford is much bigger and stronger, he would abuse Solomon down low. Solomon is not a good defender, he constantly gets manhandled on the block. He's horribly foul prone as well.

Besides, Horford has MUCH better offensive moves and Solomon will never be the offensive player that Horford is NOW.

Quote:

Now if Horford had a chance in hell of being better than JS or JJ then I'd consider it regardless because we needed a superstar. I just don't see it AT ALL.

Hopefully he proves you wrong. I just don't see how Yi would have done anything else, he's a project that will take at least 3 years, IF he becomes something. He ALSO doesn't play center. By then, JJ and Smith are gone and Yi is due for an extension. You can't keep drafting projects or your existing players will go away, then it becomes a cycle, just like the Clippers.