• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sheldon 23pts 11 rebounds...

dawgingermany

I agree that I would like to see him scoring more, but the reports coming out are still extremely positive. Utah fans after the first game said Law was great along with Horford, so they were saying he did more than OK...Still, more scoring would be OK with me as long as he keeps playing great as a distributor as well

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend called me after seeing some of the negative stuff I wrote about Acie Law on Hawksquawk and told me not to get too upset, because he looked better than the stats suggest, and like you said, apparently the Jazz fans were impressed, and now Sekou Smith just came out with his new blog and said that Acie Law looked pretty good and that most NBA types thought the Hawks did the right thing with the Law pick.

So hopefully I'm just putting too much emphasis on the box scores and a couple of off shooting nights, along with my somewhat negative preconceptions of Law as the 11th pick...hopefully he really is looking pretty good out there. And five assists with only two turnovers twice in a row is pretty encouraging...maybe his shot will start to fall soon. I used to really like Acie Law as a PG prospect during the college basketball season, then changed my mind about him closer to the draft and thought we should take Stuckey, but hopefully Law will prove me wrong.

Quote:

I didn't get a report from Saturday's game but I'm hoping to get one on Monday. As for Law, he's 6-22 from the field so far. That's about 27%, which is not encouraging to me - especially for a guy with a reputation as a great scorer.

And all I've heard is that he looked better than his box score suggests - which to me just means that he's done a good job running the team and hasn't looked overmatched out there, not that he looked great necessarily.

To be fair, though, 10 assists and only 4 turnovers in the first 2 games is encouraging, and I'm glad to here that he looks okay even while shooting such a low percentage. But for a guy with a rep as a great scorer in college, I'd like to see him make some shots, too.

why are you so concerned about a guy who even you admit had a rep as a great scorer in college based on two summer league games? why are you so down on shelden after his rookie year, where he played well when healthly? you strike e as a casual fan who blows things way out of proportion

Quote:

why are you so concerned about a guy who even you admit had a rep as a great scorer in college based on two summer league games? why are you so down on shelden after his rookie year, where he played well when healthly? you strike e as a casual fan who blows things way out of proportion

Dukegotgame? You strike me as a Duke fan who can't see that Shelden was a huge reach at number 5 and will never be as good as Brandon Roy, a guy who the Hawks needed and should have taken.

And by the way, there's a long list of great college scorers who never do anything when they get to the pros....and you should know that, because about half of them went to Duke.

So yeah...it's a concern when a guy who's supposed to be a great scorer can't score in SL....just like it's a concern that Shelden Williams, a guy who blocked almost 4 shots a game in college, hardly blocked a shot in SL last year, then hardly blocked any shots in his rookie season, and still hasn't blocked a single shot in SL so far this year.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Don't waste your time fighting guys with a closed mind! jedi.gif This guy has already made up his mind about Shelden and Law. Sort of like Diesel on Marvin, Walter and Diesel on Horfort. Good try though!

Quote:

Quote:

Don't waste your time fighting guys with a closed mind! jedi.gif This guy has already made up his mind about Shelden and Law. Sort of like Diesel on Marvin, Walter and Diesel on Horfort. Good try though!

Not even close like Diesel and Walter, he is no where near anoying like those two. He is a great poster if you ask me.

Quote:

Quote:

Dukegotgame? You strike me as a Duke fan who can't see that Shelden was a huge reach at number 5 and will never be as good as Brandon Roy, a guy who the Hawks needed and should have taken.

And by the way, there's a long list of great college scorers who never do anything when they get to the pros....and you should know that, because about half of them went to Duke.

So yeah...it's a concern when a guy who's supposed to be a great scorer can't score in SL....just like it's a concern that Shelden Williams, a guy who blocked almost 4 shots a game in college, hardly blocked a shot in SL last year, then hardly blocked any shots in his rookie season, and still hasn't blocked a single shot in SL so far this year.

lol, ok good one. bring up my college team when you have nothing good to argue. truth is, i never said anything about sheldon so you can stop at me being a duke fan. all i said was to chill out calling a guy a bum after one season, and hating on law after two summer league games. i could really care less about how other duke players did in the NBA because that really does not concern the hawks in anyway. your the same guy who bashed sheldon after his first game of this summer league ( which was not too bad BTW), and now is saying that his second good game doesnt mean anything. brilliant. did it ever occur to you that maybe when 99 percent of thinks that your wrong, that it could possibly be true?

Quote:

Its a freaking summer league game. How are all these SL threads going on for so long especially since they all "analyze" the game.

Why is everyone posting only Summer League posts in the Atlanta Hawks forum? It could be because the most exciting thing happenning right now in Hawks basketball is the Summer League.

Why are we analysing the games in depth? We are the type of people who refresh a basketball forum multiple times daily even in the cold dark months of the offseason. We are always going to obsess and analyse. It's what we do.

Quote:

Sucking in the SL does not equal sucking in the NBA and playing great in the SL does not equal playing great in the SL.

Agreed. We all realise this. But right now the SL is on, and it is all we have to talk about. So let us get too excited about a good game by Shellhead, let us get too worried about a bad game by Law.

It is all part of being a fan.

Quote:

Its a freaking summer league game. How are all these SL threads going on for so long especially since they all "analyze" the game. For one, its Summer League. For two, its Summer League. For three, its a box score you are looking at. For four, no one saw the game! I haven't seen a comment within these threads that actually make me think, "good point" or "I never thought of it that way".

I feel like I should save this post and keep re-posting it after every SL game. Way too much analysis for SL, especially when we play in one of the weaker SLs. Regardless, there is no barometer for success with this no matter how hard you want to argue about it. Sucking in the SL does not equal sucking in the NBA and playing great in the SL does not equal playing great in the SL. This is especially important to note when no one actually watched the game and all you are basing opinion off of is a box score.

lol im pretty sure thats the whole point ive been trying to make. maybe i didnt spell it out as well as you did, but i didnt think i was dealing with 10 year olds here. either way, good post and i totally agree.

but hey, maybe vbdunk would feel better if we cut law and signed dion glover since he was the king of summer leagues lmao

Quote:

I think Shelden is a 13-15/8-11 guy in the NBA for a long, long time...not to mention being a very solid post defender, screener and leader...

He was a bit of reach at 5, I agree, But once the word got leaked BK didn't really have much bargaining power at that point...BK shot himself in the foot by letting it leak out.

However, I think in the end he did the right thing by drafting the guy he wanted.

Since the Hawks have now drafted Horford I question whether Sheldon will get the minutes to put up the type of numbers you are suggesting. I am not saying he can't given the minutes, just that it is unlikely he gets a consistent 30 minutes a night now with Horford.

Quote:

Okay, please look above and read what you actually wrote. Do you notice the part where you ask me why I'm so down on Shelden after his rookie year?

Quote:

lol, ok good one. bring up my college team when you have nothing good to argue. truth is, i never said anything about sheldon so you can stop at me being a duke fan

So I guess you did bring up Shelden, didn't you. Don't ask me why I'm so down on Shelden if you don't want to know the answer...and don't try to pretend like you didn't bring him up in the first place.

Quote:

your the same guy who bashed sheldon after his first game of this summer league ( which was not too bad BTW), and now is saying that his second good game doesnt mean anything. brilliant.

I'm the same guy who said that, according to eye witness accounts, Shelden looked terrible in the first game of summer leage. Sekou Smith said the same thing in his blog today. But after Shelden's nice second game, I said we finally had a reason to be excited about Shelden. So I'm not sure what you're even talking about with this one.

Quote:

did it ever occur to you that maybe when 99 percent of thinks that your wrong, that it could possibly be true?

Did it ever occur to you that 99 percent of people think Shelden was a huge reach at number 5? Did it ever occur to you that he only averaged 5 ppg and 5 rpg, even though as a 4-year player and a top 5 pick, he was billed as the most NBA ready player in the draft? And by the way, you strike me as a casual fan who justs follows Duke on TV, because there's no way you actually went there.

I'm not saying, by the way, that I think Law or Shelden can't play in the NBA, or that I hope they fail, or that they're not high character guys. I'm just saying that I'm not sure we got the most out of those picks, just like we didn't get the most out of the Childress or Marvin picks...and really that's an indictment of BK and not of the players themselves.

But personally, I'm tired of being a homer. I was a devoted homer for this team for a long time; at this point, however, I really don't trust BK. It sounds like a lot of GM's agreed with what we did this year, so hopefully BK got it right this time.

I'm just not sure Law will be a longterm solution at the point for us. I criticized the pick when we made it, and the fact that Law is shooting 27% from the field so far isn't making me feel any better, especially when Stuckey and Critt, the two guys I prefered over Law, are both averaging around 20 ppg in their summer league, even though they're both two or three years younger than Law.

Of course, that's not to say that we can predict the course of their entire careers based off of a couple of SL games, but it is reason to be concerned. And to me it's not ridiculous or laughable to point out some concern after what we've witnessed over the last 4 or 5 years, with most of our draft picks turning out to be solid but disappointing relative to where they were picked.

Josh Childress and Shelden Williams are two of the smartest players on the team. They understand the game much better than a lot of their teammates. They don't have the talent of Marvin Williams and Josh Smith, but they are smarter players.

These guys do the little things on the basketball court, and they are smart enough to play within their limitations.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Josh Childress is the best player on this team at moving without the basketball and is the most efficient scorer on the team. Shelden Williams understands defensive positioning better than anyone else on the team.

Quote:

Quote:

Okay, please look above and read what you actually wrote. Do you notice the part where you ask me why I'm so down on Shelden after his rookie year?

Quote:

lol, ok good one. bring up my college team when you have nothing good to argue. truth is, i never said anything about sheldon so you can stop at me being a duke fan

So I guess you did bring up Shelden, didn't you. Don't ask me why I'm so down on Shelden if you don't want to know the answer...and don't try to pretend like you didn't bring him up in the first place.

Quote:

your the same guy who bashed sheldon after his first game of this summer league ( which was not too bad BTW), and now is saying that his second good game doesnt mean anything. brilliant.

I'm the same guy who said that, according to eye witness accounts, Shelden looked terrible in the first game of summer leage. Sekou Smith said the same thing in his blog today. But after Shelden's nice second game, I said we finally had a reason to be excited about Shelden. So I'm not sure what you're even talking about with this one.

Quote:

did it ever occur to you that maybe when 99 percent of thinks that your wrong, that it could possibly be true?

Did it ever occur to you that 99 percent of people think Shelden was a huge reach at number 5? Did it ever occur to you that he only averaged 5 ppg and 5 rpg, even though as a 4-year player and a top 5 pick, he was billed as the most NBA ready player in the draft? And by the way, you strike me as a casual fan who justs follows Duke on TV, because there's no way you actually went there.

your a tool. i never said anything about sheldon other than asking why you were down on him. i never proclaimed him to be anything. i wanted roy last year and critt or nick young at 11 this year for the record. however im not a moron like you who is routing for our players to fail so you can be right and over reacting over two summer league games. i doubt you have ever picked up a basketball in your life lol

Quote:

your a tool. i never said anything about sheldon other than asking why you were down on him. i never proclaimed him to be anything. i wanted roy last year and critt or nick young at 11 this year for the record. however im not a moron like you who is routing for our players to fail so you can be right and over reacting over two summer league games. i doubt you have ever picked up a basketball in your life lol

grammartime.gif