• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ATL/MEM

Diesel

• Premium Member

RealGM Trade ID #4155456

Marvin, Zaza, Horford, Lue, Lo, and Aj for Gasol/Miller.

First off, our lineup would be:

Law, JJ, Miller, Smoove, and Gasol.

With Law, Miller and JJ, we have bonafide shooters. Last year, Miller was 40% from 3.. and 46% from the field. That opens the door for Gasol to work the middle.

Smoove, Shelden, Speedy, Salim, AJ & Lo for Gasol/Miller.

We would line up:

Gasol/Zaza

Horford/Solomon

Marvin/Chillz

JJ/Miller

Law/Lue

Miller would provide the scoring we need off the bench while I think Horford and Gasol would make an EXCELLENT frontcourt duo.

MEM would line up:

Darko

Shelden

Smoove

Gay

Conley

or

Darko

Smoove/Shelden

Gay

Kinsey

Conley

I'm sure Conley would LOVE to have Smoove and Gay filling the lanes on the break.

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4155963

• Premium Member

That's putting a lot of trust in Horford and Marvin.

I'm not quite there yet...

Plus, if we get Miller, my hope is to play him alongside JJ as a three point shooting Sf.. not as a BU.

Do you think negotiations with Smoove are so bad that it warrants moving him?

Memphis would never do the trade as stands. We complain about having 4 PGs, this trade would give Memphis 5 PGs! You'd have to get a 3rd team, but let's face it, this trade isn't happening!

Now, on the Smoove/Sheldon trade above, if you were Memphis, would you rather have either of your two scenarios or the one they currently have in Darko, Gasol, Gay, Miller & Conley? The trade has to make sense from both standpoints, and I just don't see how trading two starters of that caliber for two starters (maybe only one) that isn't as good today as Gasol is alone makes any sense. Yeah, the dollars work, but common sense says it doesn't.

• Premium Member

Lue and Aj have ending contracts. I would think that just getting those off the books would put them in a good mode.

Plus, who knows if Stoudamire will be making a return. So basically, right now they have Conley Jr. and Kyle Lowry. They keep 1 of our probably Lue and they waive Aj.

Or we can substitute Speedy for Aj and Lue...

But for: Horford, Marvin, and Zaza, I think they do this deal!

to your 10,000th proposal to trade Marvin. In addition, I thought I would throw your boy Shelden in as an alternative to your proposed trade of Horford (who I see quickly catching up to Marvin as the Hawk you like the least).

Honestly, I don't want to see us trade ANY of Marvin, Smoove, Horford or JJ. I would like to see us build around that core group. Hopefully, Law will show that he should be a part of that core group as well. I like Chillz about as much as anyone else on the team and I like Shelden and Zaza a lot too but I don't consider them as being a part of the core.

• Premium Member

I'm just wary of any trades with a team that is going to be in the mood for a "basketball trade"... ie, one for which the rationale is "talent-for-talent," as opposed to taking advantage of a given team's desire to get below the luxury tax or similar, ie, a talent-for-contract(s) trade.

I don't like rolling the dice when the youth and projected better health of our team so naturally predicts stronger results on its own... a talent-for-talent trade risks upsetting that.

Marvin's got to begin showing he can take over games, to be sure. But I don't think there's any doubt that he has the skill package... it's just a matter of maturity and confidence, imo, fwiw.

What's more... there's one thing worse than drafting a guy too high, and that's drafting a guy and trading him just before he blossoms into a star.

No. The Garnett trade doesn't faze me... the Celtics obviously just laid all their cards on the table, and while barring injury they'll certainly be a contender for this season, they also know that they're gambling that the natural decline in their talent investments is less like rollercoaster grade and more like my driveway's grade.

Meanwhile, BK has cast his faith in the growth of our youth, and to the surprise of no one, I'm sure, I'm good with that... I agree with the poster (can't recall who) that commented that it's fun to watch the team progress, and that we ought to enjoy that instead of embracing more immediate gratification... exactly my perspective.

Otoh, if we can make a trade with a team that isn't looking for us to match talent with them in trade, but rather, would consider trying to move a good player that they're paying well for too many years (noting of course that we have court restrictions on that ourselves)... and most likely then, a team that right now places a high value on expiring contracts... THAT is the kind of trade I'm looking to do.

munching_out.gif

• Premium Member

I don't know why you have these sacred cows of Marvin, Smoove, Horford, or JJ.

If we can make a trade and not lose Smoove, JJ, or Law... and get back Gasol... Oh man. That's a winner.

You honestly don't realize how good Gasol is? He basically single handedly took Memphis to the playoffs in the west. Well, he had Miller. Oh wait, I proposed getting Miller too...

And all we lose is Marvin, Horford, Zaza, and a bunch of players on the last year of their contract? You got to be kidding me.

OK, let's talk about some things on why:

1. Why Horford?

Memphis was very high on Horford. I was listening to the radio broadcasts around draft time.. They really wanted Horford.

2. Why Marvin?

Well, if we get Miller, I wouldn't want a log jam worsening at Sf.. However, if Memphis would take Chillz instead, I'd do that. I just don't think Marvin can beat out Miller. In my mind, that's wasted value.

3. Why Zaza?

Memphis still could use a big. I mean, if you think about their lineup:

Horford, Darko, Marvin, Gay, Conley Jr... That's not so bad. Especially with Zaza off the bench.

4. The other players are simply cap space.

If we were to make a trade for Gasol we would have to include Smoove in a package for him to be a centerpiece of the deal(ex:Al JEfferson).

Marvin is just to unproven to be a centerpiece of any deal. Right now Smoove and MArv are like Jefferson and Gerald Green except Marvin being sligthy better than Gerald of course.

WHY SMOOVE?

1. He has more value right now than MArv and Shell together.

2. He is up for extension and he too will be overpayed, just like every other nba player.

3. We have Horford who should be a better PF than Smoove. Smoove is more of a tweener.

4. Marvin will play his natural position which is SF. Smoove would get abused by quicker players at SF.

Here is my deal after SMoove signs extention of course:

Smoove + Zaza + Salim and AJ/Lue FOR Gasol.

Memphis:

pg- Conley/Lowry/Lue

sg- Miller/Salim

sf- Gay/Warrick

pf- Smoove/Swift

c - Milicic/Zaza

Hawks:

pg- Claxton/Law/AJ

sg- Joe/Chill/Law

sf- Marvin/Chillz

pf- Horford/Shell

c- Gasol/Solo/Wright

WhAT do you think D??

• Premium Member

I'd rather move Horford than Smoove.

Truth is that Smoove is the new face of the city. Why trade him?

Moreover, I think the Grizz might do it for Horford because he can also play some Center.

Quote:

RealGM Trade ID #4155456

Marvin, Zaza, Horford, Lue, Lo, and Aj for Gasol/Miller.

First off, our lineup would be:

Law, JJ, Miller, Smoove, and Gasol.

With Law, Miller and JJ, we have bonafide shooters. Last year, Miller was 40% from 3.. and 46% from the field. That opens the door for Gasol to work the middle.

I'd like to get Gasol, but that is giving up way too much.

Gasol isn't going anywhere because in the next 24 hours his best friend, Juan Navarro, is joining the team. At least thats the way it looks. The Wizards have until later today to trade his rights or they lose him probably for good. The Grizzlies are paying a huge price for Navarro...next years #1 draft pick.

Gasol wants to play with Navarro so he isn't going anywhere.

Feel free to get back to trading Marvin...just not to Memphis.