Hawks getting head start

DrReality

Now we are talking. Time to start getting pumped.

Hawks getting head start on building team

By Sekou Smith

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 09/06/07

That memo detailing the Oct. 2 start of training camp remains just a blurry mix of words to Hawks All-Star and captain Joe Johnson.

He decided months ago that he and his teammates, fresh off a 30-52 season, needed more than a month of training camp to develop the kind of chemistry that will vault them into contention for a playoff berth.

"We needed an edge with all the changes that have gone on in our division and in the Eastern Conference," Johnson said Wednesday from the Hawks' crowded locker room at Philips Arena. "Actually, [Hawks coach Mike Woodson] presented some ideas to me regarding what we could do on our own and I had to follow up on it."

His follow-up included calling each of his teammates and telling them that the Hawks' pre-training camp workouts would kick off Wednesday morning and that attendance, while technically voluntary, was very much mandatory.

"This is a big season for us," said Johnson, who noted that he's fully healed from the calf injury that cost him the final six weeks of last season. "And for everybody to come back the way they did definitely shows you what kind of commitment guys have made. ... You can tell guys have put in the work over the summer to get ready for what's ahead.

"Yeah, people will still tell you that we're a young team. And we are. But we can't keep giving that excuse. It's time for this team to grow up now, and we're here trying to develop our chemistry early on. With the additions of [draft picks] Al Horford and Acie Law, we've got to get those guys acclimated and ready to go from the start."

Josh Childress is in South Africa with the NBA's Basketball without Borders program. Zaza Pachulia is still making his way back to the United States from summer competition with the Georgian national team. But every other player with a guaranteed contract is already in town and sweating through team workouts, twice a week, with weight-training sessions and pick-up games on the other days.

Third-year forward Marvin Williams hustled back Tuesday night from his offseason residence in Chapel Hill, N.C.. The motivation, he said, is part peer pressure and part sting from disappointing seasons past.

"You can tell by these workouts that guys are really committed to coming back and having a better season," Williams said. "Nobody liked the way last season ended. What's exciting is to see everybody in here working hard and doing it together."

Coaches aren't allowed to coach during pick-up games or five-on-five drills, per NBA rules. But they can assist with individual work.

What's being cultivated here, according to fourth-year forward Josh Smith, is something much bigger than any one player can handle on his own.

"With the challenge ahead of us, I think it was a must that we joined together as a team to create a brotherhood amongst each other and develop a bond as fast we can," said Smith, who spent most of his summer working out in Houston with Hakeem Olajuwon and Hall of Famer Calvin Murphy. "We probably have the toughest schedule in the league this year, if you look at the way we start. We can't run from it. We can't be scared. We've got to take it head on. And I think we're getting that done by starting early. We'll go like this until training camp starts, and then we'll really kick it into high gear."

Yep! I read the article this morning... Good stuff from Sekou!

It realy looks like Hawks will break out this year! I know that all of us always get excited during this time of the year, but who wouldn't?! We're all hungry, and we all know that Hawks deserve much better place and respect as an organisation (regardless of our ongoing internal situation) in the NBA.

This year is special, I think we can all feel it in the air... I believe that Hawks will play well this year and break .500 mark!

Quote:

Seems to me like Smoove is the vocal leader of the team?

I agree, Smoove seems to me maturing into a man too. Sounds like Marvin is hungry as well.

I expect:

JJ to be JJ. The silent leader and all star. The complete player.

I expect Marvin too start the season with a chip on his shoulder with something to prove. He will finally show that agressivness and confidence we have been waiting on.

I expect Smoove to add some polish to his game. Show some post moves PLEASE. Show some more maturity with handling the ball, less turnovers forcing errant passes and lass 3 point attempts early in the shot clock. He will be the "Fire" the team needs, the energizer....just mature and keep a good attitude.....then you will get the big bucks !

Sheldon should come out banging and fearlous. With a year under his belt he knows what to expect and may not get quite as many cheap foul calls that all rookies get called against them.

ZaZa needs to stop forcing shots and go back to what he does best --- being an energy player.

Chills will alwayse be Chills. Dependable and alwayse there when we need him for whatever is needed on a given night. (some nights defense, other offense, whatever it takes just call Chills). The ultimate insurance policy is Chills. If there is an injury Chills keeps us competitive.

Law, Lue, AJ, and Speedy will push each other. May the best man win or better yet may the best player who helps our team win as the floor general get the minutes.

Horford - Expecting him to give us a very noticeable upgrade in athleticsm and actually skill down low. Every month he will get better and better. We finally have a guy to match up vs. all the atheltic bigs of the world that were too quick and agile for ZaZa and Sheldon allowing Smoove to continue to be a help defensive demon of a shot blocker.

Solo, Lo, Salim - anything out of them is pure gravy. They will probably only get called on when the team is short on healthy bodies making their production all the more valuable.

I see a extremely versatile team that can go big or small and throw several different matchups on the floor. We will seldon have a mis match going against us as long as our pieces are used the right way.

The players have something to prove !

More then that, the coaching staff has something to prove. They have a deep, talented roster, though still young. It is up to them to get the most out of this roster.

With just a little good luck combined with staying healthy and we can make some noise !

Go Hawks !

Quote:

That memo detailing the Oct. 2 start of training camp remains just a blurry mix of words to Hawks All-Star and captain Joe Johnson.

He decided months ago that he and his teammates, fresh off a 30-52 season, needed more than a month of training camp to develop the kind of chemistry that will vault them into contention for a playoff berth.

"We needed an edge with all the changes that have gone on in our division and in the Eastern Conference," Johnson said Wednesday from the Hawks' crowded locker room at Philips Arena. "Actually, [Hawks coach Mike Woodson] presented some ideas to me regarding what we could do on our own and I had to follow up on it."

His follow-up included calling each of his teammates and telling them that the Hawks' pre-training camp workouts would kick off Wednesday morning and that attendance, while technically voluntary, was very much mandatory.

Sounds just like the type of thing a team leader would do but according to some here JJ isn't a leader.

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds just like the type of thing a team leader would do but according to some here JJ isn't a leader.

Well, you can't be a leader unless you get emotional and scream a lot. See also: Gordon Ramsey.

He is the best type of leader. The term silent leader is over used. JJ is not a vocal guy so when he does have something to say every one listens and pays attention. When JJ says something it b/c it needs to be said and coming from him is the best and most respected source on the team, including the staff.

He is not the hoot and holler lets get pumped up guy. Not the energy booster. Maybe that is Smoove and Lue.

JJ is the mature leader if you will. When the road gets tough, JJ will keep a level head and show the calm maturity and veteran savy the rest of the team looks up to him for.

He is the leader that keeps the team from getting too high or too low.

For the future, Law is a natural born leader. Anixious to see how quickly he can make the transition to the NBA.

I think this is really good news.

I read it on probasketballnews.com, where they kinda 'paraphrased' Sekou's article:

Finally, Atlanta shooting guard Joe Johnson has insisted teammates join him for workouts at Phillips Arena. The workouts are voluntary, but nearly all the Hawks have been there, according to the Atlanta-Journal Constitution.

"Yeah, people will still tell you that we're a young team. And we are," Johnson told the newspaper. "But we can't keep giving that excuse. It's time for this team to grow up now. And we're here trying to develop our chemistry early on with the additions of Al Horford and Acie Law, we've got to get those guys acclimated and ready to go from the start."

Hawks coach Mike Woodson isn't allowed to direct practices yet, but Johnson told the Journal-Constitution that Woodson "presented some ideas to me regarding what we could do on our own."

The Hawks officially open training camp Oct. 2.