• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin Article: "just got facial hair"

GTHawk

How about this quote from the Marvin/ajc article:

"I think people have to remember that was I was just 19 when I got here. I mean, I've got a little bit of facial hair now, finally. Really I just got it (laughing). But I'm getting older and getting smarter. And for me it's just about preparation, trying to get your body ready for the rigors of a season and making sure your mind is ready for everything that comes along with that."

We forget these are boys and not men sometimes. It is sad that the economics of pro basketball forces teams/players to make decisions with such limited data. I like Marvin alot and think he will turn out fine, but some rip him to shreads and he doesn't even shave every day yet. Sheesh.

If someone just graduated from college all honers with a 3.99 GPA, how long will you allow him to use his age for not geting the job done? If you give him to much time he might compromise your job.Just as Marvin will with Billy knight and Mike Woodson if he doesn't step it up. In professional sports the players get it done or someone will be fired or traded.

Quote:

If someone just graduated from college all honers with a 3.99 GPA, how long will you allow him to use his age for not geting the job done? If you give him to much time he might compromise your job.Just as Marvin will with Billy knight and Mike Woodson if he doesn't step it up. In professional sports the players get it done or someone will be fired or traded.

I agree with that.

Marvin and Jsmith are both 21.

Josh Smith is only 6 months older than Marvin, But Josh doesn't get to use that age excuse.

To use your analogy, Marvin had a 3.8 GPA after his freshmen year and was hired to do a job. I believe guys should get 2 full years, regardless of age. I'm not a big Marvin fan, I think he will be a slightly above average player when all is said and done. But I do think we have to wait until his third NBA season before he gets a fair evaluation.

Quote:

To use your analogy, Marvin had a 3.8 GPA after his freshmen year and was hired to do a job. I believe guys should get 2 full years, regardless of age. I'm not a big Marvin fan, I think he will be a slightly above average player when all is said and done. But I do think we have to wait until his third NBA season before he gets a fair evaluation.

Good response! I don't think any of us would get that long but it is sports.

Quote:

Quote:

Good response! I don't think any of us would get that long but it is sports.

Agreed with both...it's certainly not a cut-and-dried issue. On the one hand, It's not Marvin's fault that we drafted him #2. On the other hand, he has been cashing those checks and is a professional, and is therefore subject to performance evaluations and/or criticism if deserved. detective.gif

• Premium Member

I told you some time ago.

With every draft pick there must be some expectations set. The Marvin apologist has stated that there should be no expectations and he should be given 3 years to do whatever he pleases...

For those of you who are new follow this link:

Click

And I will quote myself because it's still true:

Quote:

IF everybody on the board was telling you how GREAT the porterhouse was at Ruth's Chris Steak house and how you should go because it's the best Steak in the world..

And one day you decided to go...

Wouldn't you have a feeling that said...

"Boy, I bet this is going to be one of the best things I have ever tasted..."...

Well, that feeling is expectation.

Now, I hope you would expect that porterhouse to taste better than the Steak that you could get at Denny's or the steak that you can get at Applebees... I mean, you're going to pay a lot for this porterhouse so you don't want it coming to the table overcooked or underseasoned... Right??

In fact, you have standards and expectations that you want MET because you have heard so much and have spent so much...

AND IF

that Porterhouse comes back to the table and it's overcooked and underseasoned and it tastes worse than something you could have gotten from Denny's..

Are you telling me that you will leave that place and say...

"Well, it wasn't as good as what I could have gotten at Denny's but it's still Good by me."...

No way...

and

Quote:

Marvin is the highest pick we have ever had.

Marvin is the culmination of several years of tanking in the draft and getting rid of so-called good players.

Marvin was drafted ahead of Paul, Deron.

Marvin was drafted in spite of a logjam at the SF/PF position.

THEREFORE...

I have real expectations...

Now... Lascar, you may not. You may be the type of guy who likes to pull a Scooby Doo and Check things out... Put your money into investments and NOT expect anything back... Maybe you're just a good samaritan like that...

However, I think that for everything the Hawks have given up to get Marvin, he must meet some type of expectation... Not a fantasy expectation, but a real one...

You don't have one... then say so.

If you don't mind the Hawks just Neandering around from year to year eating mayonaise sandwhiches then Say so...

But I think that there are some fans like me who have heard Babcock say " in 4 yrs", waited, only to see him blow up the team and grab JJ, JR, JT, and Glover. Unlike you, we don't blindly follow anymore and praise for no reason.

I praise BK for drafting Josh & Josh.

I question him for passing on Josh Howard and taking Diaw.

I praise BK for trading Big Dog, REEF, THEO, and JT.

I question him for trading away Nazr.

When you get to where I am, there's not enough love to blindly follow.

BTW, the date of that post was: 07/12/05 12:07 PM

How many Marvin followers still eating the mayo sandwich?

• Moderators

Quote:

Exactly!!!

Josh Smith doesn't get to use the age defense, nor would you ever catch Josh Smith saying "hey, I'm only 21..."...

Josh Smith is definitely evaluated based on age. People absolutely view his youth as a way of overlooking his shotselection, ballhandling, etc. for the long-term. It is used as a sword in stead of a shield but it still weighs heavily because people factor in expected improvement in the future when looking at him. That isn't that different than the expected improvement others project onto Marvin strictly from an age perspective.

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly!!!

Josh Smith doesn't get to use the age defense, nor would you ever catch Josh Smith saying "hey, I'm only 21..."...

Josh Smith is definitely evaluated based on age. People absolutely view his youth as a way of overlooking his shotselection, ballhandling, etc. for the long-term. It is used as a sword in stead of a shield but it still weighs heavily because people factor in expected improvement in the future when looking at him. That isn't that different than the expected improvement others project onto Marvin strictly from an age perspective.

I think he meant in Josh's interviews, he never said anything like "I just got facial hair, gimme a break!" or something.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly!!!

I think he meant in Josh's interviews, he never said anything like "I just got facial hair, gimme a break!" or something.

Age has nothing to do with excuse making - any key player who feeds the press excuses regarding his performance needs to cut that out. Age is a factor in evaluating both the performance and prospects of Marvin and Josh Smith.

If that is what was meant, then I don't disagree with anything there.

Yeah I think he was referring to when Marvin said this in his interview:

"I think people have to remember that was I was just 19 when I got here. I mean, I've got a little bit of facial hair now, finally. Really I just got it (laughing). But I'm getting older and getting smarter. "

I could be wrong though, but that's what I got from his post.

• Moderators

Quote:

Yeah I think he was referring to when Marvin said this in his interview:

"I think people have to remember that was I was just 19 when I got here. I mean, I've got a little bit of facial hair now, finally. Really I just got it (laughing). But I'm getting older and getting smarter. "

I could be wrong though, but that's what I got from his post.

He has raised the issue of Marvin's age in the past so I took it as a broader criticism of both Marvin's excuse and people excusing his performance by reference to his age.

• Premium Member

I disagree,

I think people view his effort and his passion and those things make his shotselection and low post defense a little more digestable.

In Marvin's case, sure he has youth, but often times, the effort nor the passion seems to be there.

While it cannot be proven but it does come across that way when you watch him play night in and night out. Luckily now the Hawks have depth and if he or any other player does not play like it is a privelige to be on the floor not a right then they can be pulled and replaced with a player who does.Thats one reason I am so excited to see Horford play because he always hustled and played hard at Florida.