• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Where's the love?

chillzatl

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. I think maybe those African American studies courses helped his game somehow. We all know he didn't put the time in to make himself better. So, the only explanation is that he may be better because of his classes.

I say that we should make all Hawk players take an African American studies course in the offseason. It can't hurt because Marvin seems a little better after sitting all summer on his ass.

Marvin better get off to an amazing start because their waiting on him. On slip and they will all come out of the woodwork. And if they will [censored] and moan after a bad scrimmage for the fans...well, a bad game will be the end of Marvin.

Quote:

Chillz, I here ya completely. But the fact remains that there won't be any "love" from the haters until he really plays great consistently.

When he starts producing night in night out during the regular season we'll hear that it's meaningless until he takes the team to the playoffs, because that's what a #2 pick is supposed to do.

When he plays well in the playoffs we'll hear that it's meaningless because we aren't contenders.

If we're ever contenders, we'll hear that if only Marvin was better we'd have a championship.

Haters hate.

If after two years we are left with MW's 1st preseason games this year as reason to rejoice over his selection, then we a desperate and he is sad.

I've ecstatic that MW is looking well thus far, however. He's lost much of his trade value for now. We have to wait and see what he does for now. We have to hope that he, JS, and Horford work out. BK painted us into the corner of praying for MW to get a heart from the wizard and Horford to play NBA center (gulp).

W

I'm biased about as far as the Marvin haters. I would have drafted him since I saw CP3 get worn out by big points in college so I questioned him and Deron's shot and quickness were questionable. I don't think I quite understood the SF's not being very important thing and fell prey to the Marvin hype. Now that we know how good Deron and CP3 are, Marvin can never be justified as the right pick. I actually even find myself rooting for CP3 to not come back from injury and probably would do the same thing with Deron if given the chance just to justify the fact that I definitely would have taken Marvin, even at #1. Now I'm in with some of the others hoping Acie is basically as good as Deron or CP3 kinda nullifying the bad pick.

This further sucks since Chillz is my favorite Hawk and it's likely we'll lose him since we improperly drafted Marvin.

Maybe a team loaded with forwards can start a new trend and succeed, at least then the Marvin thing will come up less.

You totally miss the point here. Nobody is rejoicing about anything with Marvin. The point is simple: Guys like you and Diesel rag on him at every turn and never let up. Two weeks ago he was taken to the woodshed on here about a freaking scrimmage. When he plays good, preseason or not, the Marvin haters are silent.

Is a scrimmage more important than a preseason game? No.

The funny thing is guys like me hardly predict stardom for the kid. Most think he can be a very solid NBA player. But ZERO people are delusional about his upside. We are just tired of the bashing.

And his trade value is 100% irrelevant. He isn't going ANYWHERE and he has the whole season to raise his value. So what the hell difference does his trade value make when he isn't being traded?

Quote:

...And his trade value is 100% irrelevant. He isn't going ANYWHERE and he has the whole season to raise his value. So what the hell difference does his trade value make when he isn't being traded?

That's exactly right...and futher, the truth probably is that if Marvin shows improvement (where his trade value would go up), BK will keep him to show how smart he was for drafting him in the first place.

(which I don't dissagree with BTW...remember, we have a rookie who is exactly two years older than MW))

If Marvin stinks his trade value will be spit anyway so it won't matter much.

Quote:

And his trade value is 100% irrelevant. He isn't going ANYWHERE and he has the whole season to raise his value. So what the hell difference does his trade value make when he isn't being traded?

I've said repeatedly that instead of trading him (which I believe was the right thing to do up until some point last year) we are essentially stuck with him for now. His trade value is exceedingly low relative to his draft position.

He isn't going anywhere for two reasons: 1) BK's job is hinged to MW succeeding (whatever the hell "succeed" means) 2) MW's value has plummeted

Yes, we are all but stuck with him. Let's hope it works out. However, for those who say that we "don't predict stardom for him" but wanted him over franchise Pgs...what a crock!!! If you didn't like the pick then and don't predict stardom for him now, you are no different than I am. I just believe that the team has been failed by keeping him based upon whatever hopes that he isn't what he always has been.

W

I'm completely different than you Walter because I still have hope that Marvin will contribute solid things one day to a great basketball team. I'm not hanging Marvin for the crime of not becoming a superstar. I'm happy to watch his development into a 18-20 ppg scorer, a guy who gets to the line, am improving defensive player, a solid rebounder, etc.

There is a huge difference between Marvin and Shelden. SW is 3 years older, and significantly less skilled. My only hope for SW is as a solid rebounder off the bench. That's about all.

Marvin is going to be a Rashard Lewis type of player. I call that a 4-star player. Not a superstar but a player that goes about his business as a solid and very appreciated talent.

You just crap on the kid. There is nothing Marvin can do to please you. There is very little the whole entity of the Hawks can do to please you. Most fans roll out at least a little hope at this time of year. You come right out with the constant negativity. You view yourself as a realist while most see you as a serious pessimist. There is a large gap between your reality and most of the board. Thats the way it is.