• Raised $390 of $700 target

Where's the love?

chillzatl

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

You made an in general statement not really calling out names so it sounded like you meant all who have been critical of Marvin.

Everyone on this board has been critical of Marvin other than KB21.

The real problem is that some people seem to blame Marvin for being picked number 2. He didn't pick himself.

Quote:

Quote:

You made an in general statement not really calling out names so it sounded like you meant all who have been critical of Marvin.

Everyone on this board has been critical of Marvin other than KB21.

The real problem is that some people seem to blame Marvin for being picked number 2. He didn't pick himself.

I will only hold him accountable for his play while on the team. I'm ready for November 2 so we all can have something real to talk about.

• Premium Member

Ever since we started drafting players in the lottery in recent times, people have lined up eager to press the "bust" button. Going back to when we took JT, which is where we started dipping into the talent pool that teams have been building upon for years.

The thing is, Hawks fans weren't accustomed to the draft. Most of us either came in when Nique was winning games for us or when Lenny Wilkens was winning games for us. Sure we had some picks in the late lottery like Plastic Man and Rumeal Robinson. But nothing like a Glenn Rice, Garnett, or Penny Hardaway in the meat of the pack. When we made the Chill pick...that was our highest pick in like...a millenium? Did most people know what to expect?

Well, I did...or at least what not to expect. I watched the drafts every year. All of them going back to like 1988-89. I saw the overnight successes and the immediate dividends of guys like Iverson and Duncan; however, I watched guys like Dirk, Kobe, and Garnett blossom. It isn't that difficult to understand really...sometimes, it just takes time for a guy to develop (Let alone a whole damn team...). Other than the people that just REALLY wanna look like geniuses and have the "I toldjaso" bullet, most rational folks understood that.

Now, Marvin wasn't my guy in 2005. I wanted Chris Paul, but I was just happy we didn't have a chance at that damn Bogut. Same for Sheldon. I put my chips on Roy. Childress wasn't my guy in 2004 either. I liked Luol Deng.

Two things though...

A) Regardless of who we got, I was less excited about them and more about being in a position to do so.

B) Though I was often disappointed (except this year when I felt we got the right two), once Stern read the names of who we selected - I was a fan pulling for them and cared MUCH less for whomever we passed.

About Marvin particularly...[/off the fence]

Some people don't understand the arguement. Being one of the VERY few people on this board that wanted CP3 or Deron, I do. I used to think that if ultimately Marvin didn't put up 25ppg that we would have blew the 2005 draft. It may have been a tough choice for someone in the front office, but you don't pass up the chance to draft the franchise PG for the franchise SG or forward. You just don't. Scoring is one thing, but making everyone around you better, leading a team, AND scoring is a whole other.

(BTW, the rules change for a franchise PF or C. That's a HARD choice between franchise PG or franchise BIG. I'd probably go big FYI.)

I used to feel a little burned about not drafting Paul or Deron. Ever since we stole Acie out of the draft though, I've pretty much forgotten about it. shrug.gif

I've always liked Marvin's speed and his shot. I hope he continues to improve. Right now though, I am FAR more concerned about Law's development. I can't wait to see him in the regular season.[/on the fence]

Anywho, back to the fence for me hippy.gif Feel free to carry on with the Marvin love/hate. Me thinks though, that the Hawks Hate will roll to someone else now. JT had it, Chill inherited it from JT then gave it to Marvin. Marvin shared it with Sheldon and I think it may be Horford's turn.

I'm wondering where KHAOS7 is now that Marvin has played pretty good ball. The same guy who just had to post on how bad Marvin looked in a Saturday morning scrimmage. Funny how easy it is to call it "preseason" when he does well. It's OK to rip a guy when he has a bad practice but when he plays well in a few games, even meaningless, he doesn't post.

I'm not worried because he'll be back at the first sign of Marvin playing bad. A bad game early or two and the Diesel's and Khaos's will make sure to bring it out. They will ignore the good and accentuate the bad.

Just don't tell me about how it's only pre-season if your the type to bring up a poor performance in a Saturday practice. The Marvin bashers always want it both ways.

• Premium Member

Quote:

He is averaging 19 ppg so far shooting 50%. he is really hurting Hawksquawk's post count lol.

Its a double edge sword! If he has a bad game, the board is alive with plenty of discussion about a variety of subject. But when he does well, the board goes dead! Oh well.

• Premium Member

The board certainly has fewer posts, but I'd say the combined intelligence behind the posts is still about the same.

saythat.gif

To some people's surprise, most of us don't come to Hawksquawk for endless debate on how a couple of posters feel about past personnel decisions. We come here to discuss the latest Hawks' news, games, and *future* moves.

That fact continues to be lost on the "pillar of salt" group. (It's only a matter of time and chemistry before this team starts winning).

Everything means something even in the preseason maybe some vets don't take it seriously but in the Nba if you play well you play well. I don't personally care for being overly critical of poor performances in preseason unless you all out sucked, but playing well even in preseason is a positive sign. Marvin has shown a lot more aggression and that has been what's kept him from breaking out in the past. If he keeps it going into the season he might begin to start tapping that potential all the experts saw predraft. For him confidence is key.

Quote:

Everything means something even in the preseason maybe some vets don't take it seriously but in the Nba if you play well you play well. I don't personally care for being overly critical of poor performances in preseason unless you all out sucked, but playing well even in preseason is a positive sign. Marvin has shown a lot more aggression and that has been what's kept him from breaking out in the past. If he keeps it going into the season he might begin to start tapping that potential all the experts saw predraft. For him confidence is key.

Well said

clapclap.gif

I agree with you 100%. The preseason for younger guys is very important. Marvin has to build his confidence for the long haul and the preseason can be a tool to do it.

Guys like Horford and Law can also benefit greatly in the preseason, getting their feet wet and getting a taste of what the league is all about. Especially in the speed of the game factor. Things just move 5x quicker in the NBA than in college and their is usually an adjustment period.

The Marvin hate on this board is a vocal handful that will likely never shut up, even if Marvin has a good year. It won't be good enough in the eyes of these posters. Marvin is not a LeBron or D-Wade type of talent...period. For some reason the logic is that since he was #2 he has to be a franchise savior and superstar. Bad logic, and flawed thinking. Marvin can be a 4-Star player, but will never be a 5-Star player. However, 4-Star players don't grow on trees and that should translate to being a solid Hawk for years. I can see him at 20/8 at some point in 2-3 years.

The #2 pick rarely becomes a superstar. So, why should Marvin have to be a superstar? Why can't we cut the kid a little slack and enjoy the process? The worst is over.

The bottom line is the silence is deafening when he plays well. Why is that? We have a guy crowing about how bad he was in a freaking scrimmage for the fans. LMAO!!!

It appears that we will only hear from this crowd when Marvin stinks up the joint. BTW, if you want to pick on a bad choice, how about Shelden? The dude is 24 and is a career backup in the making. He has almost no low post game, and is as stiff as a board. There is NOTHING special about him and the infamous Diesel somehow like his upside over Marvins. I just consider the source, his lack of basketball IQ, and move along. And, because I am a Hawks fan, I hope Shelden has a great year and proves me wrong. But I'm not about to keep harping on SW because it does no good. You just have to hope we can get something of value on the court from our version of "The Mailman". Diesel compares SW to the Mailman and he thinks other people have problems?

Quote:

Quote:

He is averaging 19 ppg so far shooting 50%. he is really hurting Hawksquawk's post count lol.

Its a double edge sword! If he has a bad game, the board is alive with plenty of discussion about a variety of subject. But when he does well, the board goes dead! Oh well.

How is the board going dead when Marvin plays well? Or the post count decreacing?

I'm guessing that's a joke because I usually check the site at least once a day and everytime I get on recently, there have been at LEAST 100 new posts, which is a LOT more than when the primary Marvin bashfest was going on.

Quote:

To some people's surprise, most of us don't come to Hawksquawk for endless debate on how a couple of posters feel about past personnel decisions. We come here to discuss the latest Hawks' news, games, and *future* moves.

That fact continues to be lost on the "pillar of salt" group. (It's only a matter of time and chemistry before this team starts winning).

I agree with you mrH. I'm also a little tired of people mistaking opinions for agendas and the reverse. A message board without differing opinions wouldn't be worth reading, but a message board with people trying to force their opinion on everyone else at every possible opportunity is pretty much just as bad. Live and let live!

It's fine to make posts to support your opinion, just don't make that your sole goal in life. Post things that don't support your opinion if they happen, it's okay! You can even change your opinion, I don't care. Consistency is great, but if you convince yourself that you were wrong, that's okay too. Just be an adult about, admit you were wrong if you have to, and move on. I think for the most part, everyone else will move on with you. If people bring it up all the time, they're probably jerks and worth ignoring anyway. The "agenda" crap was really starting to get to me.

Hopefully Marvin keeps playing well, especially if it means the Hawks winning and the message board can be calm and reasonable.

Quote:

I'm guessing that's a joke because I usually check the site at least once a day and everytime I get on recently, there have been at LEAST 100 new posts, which is a LOT more than when the primary Marvin bashfest was going on.

Actually, that's probably because there has been a game thread almost every day that has gone to 3 pages. And those are pretty much free of Marvin talk other than that he has been playing well for the most part.

Quote:

You can even change your opinion, I don't care. Consistency is great, but if you convince yourself that you were wrong, that's okay too. Just be an adult about, admit you were wrong if you have to, and move on.

There's a great piece of philosophy here that is worthwhile to keep in mind as you go about your life. There is great benefit in being able to admit that you were wrong about something, not the least of which is that suddenly you get to be right again!

-Zen Master Zack

Quote:

Quote:

You can even change your opinion, I don't care. Consistency is great, but if you convince yourself that you were wrong, that's okay too. Just be an adult about, admit you were wrong if you have to, and move on.

There's a great piece of philosophy here that is worthwhile to keep in mind as you go about your life. There is great benefit in being able to admit that you were wrong about something, not the least of which is that suddenly you get to be right again!

-Zen Master Zack

good point! grin.gif