• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We should think of this suggestion.........

Hawksman

A site had been made called www.staygilbert.com to gather people together that want Gilbert Arenas to stay in Golden State. They sent the website to the Warriors. It was also posted in the Sporting News. I was thinking and I think we should consider this, lets make a website encouraging the Hawks and JT to get JT back in Atlanta. I though of the title. www.don'tgoJT.com. Maybe we could make mini site creating a forum of people who agree to this and then we could send it to the Hawks. What do you guys think?

Whether JT stays is up to Hawks management. They can choose to pay him or choose to let him walk.

Arenas, on the other hand, stands to earn more from a team that is under the cap. The Warriors cannot offer him more than their exception, since he's only been there 2 years.

Furthermore, Arenas is also a better and substantially younger player than JT, so he will be one of the hottest free agents on the market. JT will not draw the same level of interest. Much of GS success this year has been attributed to Arenas' play in the backcourt. JT has, if anything, been blamed for the Hawks' failure to make the playoffs.

We could've had Arenas, but so could've every other team. He was a tweener guard that nobody wanted to guarantee a roster spot to.

How exactly is Arenas better than Terry? He is no more of a true point guard than Terry is, and unlike Terry, Arenas didn't play point guard in college.

Jason Terry

17.2 ppg, 7.4 apg, 3.4 rpg, 1.56 spg, .428 FG, .887 FT, .371 3P, +18.26 EFF, 2.41 A/TO

Gilbert Arenas

18.3 ppg, 6.3 apg, 4.8 rpg, 1.51 spg, .431 FG, .791 FT, .348 3P, +18.04 EFF, 1.77 A/TO

Jason Terry is fundamentally a better point guard. He has a much better assist to turnover ratio and more assists per game.

Their scoring is a wash, and Arenas has the edge as a rebounder. Efficiency wise, they are a wash.

JT gets blamed only by those that don't know. Idiots like Chad Ford at ESPN Insider don't even watch the Hawks play. They just regurgitate Pete Babcock's company line that the Hawks want a true point guard. Since they want a true point guard, Terry must not be a point guard.

But somehow, Gilbert Arenas is an up and coming point guard when he has a worse assist to turnover ratio, is #3 in the NBA in total turnovers, and is #5 in the NBA in turnovers per game where as Jason Terry is shooting guard, even though he has an assist to turnover ratio that is comparable to Stephon Marbury's.

If the two players were swapped, Jason Terry would be the hot free agent where Gilbert Arenas would be the one pigeon holed as the undersized shooting guard. Most of that has to do with the fact that Arenas went to a team that had confidence in his ability to become a point guard and allowed him to develop, where as the Pete Babcock regime never put the confidence in Jason Terry because he didn't fit their image of a John Stockton type point guard.

I do not feel that Arenas is more 'true' PG than JT. I'm saying that's the perception of Jason Terry. That's the reason he's not a hot free agent, and that's good for us, actually.

I do, however, feel that Arenas is a little better than JT. Why? Simply, this is his first full year as a starter, and he's 4 years younger. 25 vs. 21. I feel that Arenas at 21 has more upside, and so do most basketball people.

KB, I ride the fence with JT. No, I do not think he's a true PG. However, I don't think we can't win with him, as long as we get more ball handling. Numbers are extremely important, but, as we know with Big Dog, they are not everything in basketball. JT's 1 apg difference (in his 4th year in the league) does not make him a superior PG to Arenas (in his 3rd year out of HS).

age does not play a factor... both are VERY VERY YOUNG and have a contract, or two, or 3 ahead in their careers...

but playing wise and skills is a factor... IMO, they are equal in talent and PGing. Its like McGrady and Bryant, take ur pick. Some prefer Bryant, some prefer McGrady.

But NOTE....

Arenas was nothing until this year (not saything this year was a fluke or anything)... but he did get benched so Bob Sura could start and finally emerged. Was the MVP of the soph/fresh game and ESPN only has good things to say about the WARRIORS. They are one of the most hyped teams this year ever since Mussleman became coach. More fans like watching them play since they are a high scoring team like the Kings. They are an up and coming team... things are looking up.

When u look at our season, we had high expectations. Didnt even come close to playoffs. ESPN had more coverage of Babcock/Krugers firing than the whole team. ESPN doesnt give us any good, real coverage.

IMO, Arenas contract will be similar to Terrys... He looks more valuable because of his teams recent success (yes, their season was a success... most people believed this team would be one of the worse teams in the NBA).

That's just silly to say that age is not a factor (especially so matter-of-factly).

The people who say that age is not a factor are the same ones who said Battier should've been the #1 draft pick. Maybe he was the best player at the time, but most people who knew anything realized that he would soon be passed by the Eddy Curries and Tyson Chandlers of the world.

If age were not a factor, no high school player would ever be drafted, let alone #1.

How could JT be older, didn't they play together at Arizona??? Or did JT come out a yr. before Gilbert??? Anyway, JT is a better PG than people give him credit for.He has to develope into the leader we need,just as Marbury has done in PHO. If we were playin' yesterday Walton wouldn't be able to stop flappin' his gums about JT,but we're not,& that's the problem.I feel JT will blossom next yr. as a PG,But that's just me.

~Peace

If the two players were swapped, Jason Terry would be the hot free agent where Gilbert Arenas would be the one pigeon holed as the undersized shooting guard. Most of that has to do with the fact that Arenas went to a team that had confidence in his ability to become a point guard and allowed him to develop, where as the Pete Babcock regime never put the confidence in Jason Terry because he didn't fit their image of a John Stockton type point guard."

that's not what I heard....I heard Eric wanted Sura to start

at PG, but he got injuried and Gilbert was forced as a

starter.In fact,along with the money issue it could be a

reason GA might bolt GS for Denver.

Jt can't play PG because he can't run a offense with

out a simple and predictable playbook.

JT's turnovers are always an issue (even for me) but the truth is that he has a better A/TO ratio than Kidd, Baron Davis, Francis, Bibby or Tony Parker and you never hear those guys criticized for turning the ball over too much.

As for Arenas, the main thing I think he has going for him over JT is size. Arenas is almost 6'4" and is built similar to Payton and Kidd. I haven't seen him enough to know what kind of defender he is but he is bigger and stronger than most PGs. I don't know if he's better than JT at this stage but he certainly has a lot of potential.

If I'm not mistaken,Arenas wiped the floor with

JT this year.I believe in one game JT had to be

yanked cause he was geting abused so badly.I

think GA had 37 in that game.

Get credit for what he does?He pretty much just

throws up 3pt shots.

• Premium Member

I disagree.

JT is a good player but he's not a good PG. I think most of it is that his learning curve for PG is weak. He's not a heady guy like Doc Rivers or even Mookie Blaylock were. The problem is that he has too much SG in his game. He's a sandlot player out there. That's why when we play against Good teams, we look like a sandlot team. We don't run a lot of plays. It has taken him 2 1/2 years to get the pick and roll together (somewhat). That's why he is so comfortable defering his offensive responsibilities to: JR, JJ, Toni, Grob, or anybody else who will take the ball. It's a recipe for disaster. We talk that same story about getting a gaurd to compliment JT and that's what it will take.

As for Arenas, I won't say that he's much different. However, he's done in his second year what JT hasn't done in 4 yrs.

• Premium Member

The difference between JT and some of those guys is that Guys like Kidd, Bibby, Parker, and Davis all run their offenses much better than JT. Kidd is so good at it that he makes those around him better. Bibby is good at it too but he does have the insulation of SacTown where everybody can pass. I left Francis out because I have always viewed Francis as a High Assist SG. He doesn't run offensive plays because Houston doesn't really have many. With Yao, they have developed some but those are simplistic. Most of the time, Francis brings the ball down and hands off similar to JT. But even Francis have better court awareness than JT does.

I think JT is good, too. Don't get me wrong.

I'm arguing that Arenas has more upside. He's 21! JT is 25! JT is more than 4 years older than Arenas.

NO, JT did not play with Arenas. JT played 4 years at Arizona and came out 4 years ago. He has played 8 years of post-high school ball. Arenas played 1 year at Arizona and came out 2 years ago. He has played 3 years of post-high school ball. JT has 5 years more experience beyond the high school level than Arenas, including 2 more at the pro level.

How can anyone CONCEIVABLY argue that Arenas does not have more upside than JT.

This is the most absurd display of hometowning.

You know what? P.J. Brown has no more upside than Amare Stoudamire. Look at their stats. They're similar.

JT has only played the point position consistently over the last two years though, which is the same amount of time Arenas has had at that position.

JT was stapled to the bench as a rookie under Lenny Wilkens. His second year, he played shooting guard, and he played that for half of his 3rd year. JT has gotten consistent playing time as a point guard over the last year and a half though, and he has developed over that period of time. He'd be a lot farther along had Lon Kruger never moved him to shooting guard.

JT is 25. He's yet to reach his peak years and is obviously still developing. His assists have gone up the more he plays the position, and his assists to turnovers have gotten better the more he plays the position.

• Premium Member

In reply to:

JT was stapled to the bench as a rookie under Lenny Wilkens.

Not all true. JT played about 24 mpg splitting the PG position with Coles. AND JT sucked. Lenny tried to teach him PG position and then Lenny had to dumb down the system so that JT could even take the floor.

In reply to:

His second year, he played shooting guard, and he played that for half of his 3rd year.

Actually, Lon started JT out as PG. He played him til Dec. and then Benched him in leiu of Matt Maloney. JT's lucky break came when Lrob was hurt, JJ decided to go and get Sonification, Glover was out for the season, and DJ was making rookie mistakes. Kruger went to a backcourt of JT/MM and JT was made into a SG. Later, Lrob, AJ, JJ were traded for Brevin Knight and JT held that SG position. The thing about SG that is so natural for JT is that it requires very little thinking. Just catch and create... Similar to Sandlot.

In reply to:

JT has gotten consistent playing time as a point guard over the last year and a half though, and he has developed over that period of time.

I'm starting to believe Marbury and Van Gundy. Either you are Born into the NBA as a PG or NOT. I don't think that JT is progressing that much. I mean, Sure he doesn't run into traps as often as he used to. And now he can get the ball across the halfcourt line against token pressure. But for the most part he still does the same thing he has always done... Get the ball across the halfcourt line and defer. A real PG wants the ball in his hands so that he can create, so that he can be a playmaker. Watch Stephon Marbury sometimes. He was called a Shoot first PG too. BUT when he has the ball, he's creating. He likes to score but he also gets a high off the assists. Maybe three years down the road, he'll know a couple of more plays that he has memorized. However, he doesn't have the court vision nor the instincts to be a playmaker.

• Premium Member

I'd trade JT (SNT) for Derrick Anderson and then sign some PG like Kenny Anderson to run this team.

Think PTL would be interested?

I mean, that would be a good team...

Anderson

Anderson

Grob

SAR

Theo

The point being is that JT is probably a better 2 than Anderson... But he doesn't have the size. I think if Pippen stays one more for PTL, JT would provide them with clutch shooting and speed to go along with Wallace/Wells.

I think here that Kenny Anderson could be a good mentor to Dickau or we can try to bring in another PG like Wilks to compete for the second gaurd spot.

• Premium Member

jjjohns3, I'm listening...

All I'm hearing is the life through rosey glassy speech. I bring REALISM to this board. Like You, I've worn the Rosey tinted glasses and thought that JT would be just fine. BUt it's been a few years and there are some truths we have to admit. and this is not argumentitive it's suggestive.

I suggest that if we sign JT, we go off and find another PG to play along side JT and we run a 2 gaurd set. Like Phoenix did with Kidd and KJ back in the day.

If so many are so high on getting rid of Big Dog... Maybe Dallas will do a Big Dog for NVE trade. But I still suggest that we look for someone other than Ty Corbin Jr to play Sf. If DJ is ready, I suggest him.... But TCJ shouldn't get a bigger than minimum contract from us unless CC is gone.