• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcon's apparent issues...

DJlaysitup

I can't help but wonder if there might be some real issues on the Falcons between different factions.

Think about it - we had Vick/Schaub...now we have Harrington/Leftwich. We also have Grady canned for not taking up two O-linemen in order to allow LBs to make the plays (read Brooking).

I personally think AB went too far in publically cutting all ties with MV7...even if that was what he planned to do he could have just played it close to the vest and not said anything definitive. Why alienate the players in the Vick camp when you don't have too? Let the league suspend MV7 and keep your mouth shut.

Add to all this Petrino is a disciplinarian who has apparently reacted to the controversy by banning talking on team flights and at team meals (if what they said on 790theZone this morning is accurate) and he comes off like he is trying to treat the players like children. (which won't work)

Primarily, I suppose losing is the problem and the main cause of the finger pointing...this season is history...GO HAWKS !!

• Moderators

Clearly this season is becoming an epic disaster. I don't blame the Falcons for cutting ties with Vick. From a PR perspective, it was a good move. You have to make it clear that Vick is done with the team both to distance yourself from the protests and criticism and to be honest with people that you are moving into a new era. If they were coy about whether Vick had a future with the team, he would still dominate thoughts about the Falcons and would be a continuing source of criticism off the field and controvery on the field (or at least in discussions about where the Falcons should be going on the field).

I totally agree that not allowing players to talk at team meals and on flights is ridiculous and juvenile behavior from the coaching staff. You need to treat these guys like professionals. A dress code is consistent like that. Making them get a pass before going to the bathroom isn't.

Also, DeAngelo Hall's comments were totally out of control. Just an embarassment to himself and the team. His immaturity is going to cost him this offseason when teams will be more reluctant to invest in him long-term.

• Admin

I"m not sure what anyone was expecting. Even I had unrealistic hopes for the team this season, but truth be told, we were in rebuilding mode with or without vick. We wouldn't be much better now with him than we are without him. The only thing I see wrong is the lack of professionalism from some of these players. I can understand players not liking a coach who doesn't grab ass with them like Mora did, but you still go out and do your job. If they can't handle that, they should be cut or traded, point blank. I don't blame Petrino at all. He was brought in to bring some discipline to the team and I commend him for realizing that he needed to ease back on the hard-assness some. I have no sympathy for the players though. They're grown men and this is football. There's no crying in football...

Once we weed out the candy asses and get players who fit what Petrino likes to do, we'll find success again. He's the right coach for this team. His situation and demeanor aren't much different than Belichick's was when he started in Cleveland. You had people and players who all hated him but once he was given the chance to get his system in place(for another team) he showed that his way is the right way. I think we'll see the same from Petrino down the road too.

Quote:

I"m not sure what anyone was expecting. Even I had unrealistic hopes for the team this season, but truth be told, we were in rebuilding mode with or without vick. We wouldn't be much better now with him than we are without him. The only thing I see wrong is the lack of professionalism from some of these players. I can understand players not liking a coach who doesn't grab ass with them like Mora did, but you still go out and do your job. If they can't handle that, they should be cut or traded, point blank. I don't blame Petrino at all. He was brought in to bring some discipline to the team and I commend him for realizing that he needed to ease back on the hard-assness some. I have no sympathy for the players though. They're grown men and this is football. There's no crying in football...

Once we weed out the candy asses and get players who fit what Petrino likes to do, we'll find success again. He's the right coach for this team. His situation and demeanor aren't much different than Belichick's was when he started in Cleveland. You had people and players who all hated him but once he was given the chance to get his system in place(for another team) he showed that his way is the right way. I think we'll see the same from Petrino down the road too.

we wouldnt 1/6 if vick was here, we would be 4/3 at least if vick was here. im sorry if the truth hurts but it had to be said

Yeah...take it from me, the hardest leadership style transition is from an easy-going leader to a hard ass (that's the way it was in the military). There will always be some rebellion. Grown men who go in harm's way for a living don't like to feel like they are being treated like kids. It may work out long-term...but I wish I had a big bet down on the "under" this year as far as wins detective.gif

• Moderators

Whether you are talking 3-4 (Chillz) or 4-3 (hoodstar), I agree that Vick would have this team around .500 again. Considerably better than the record we will have but not nearly in the range of true contenders.

Quote:

You're trying to tell me that the same vick that lead a BETTER team last season to a 7/9 record would actually have this version with a winning record right now? I think we'd have two more wins right now but that's about it.

Vick lead the team to around 5-2 record for the first half of the season the past two seasons. I believe he would've lead this team (this team is much better than the last two imo) to similar record.

• Moderators

Quote:

and while that is better on paper, is it really any better? I don't think it is. A turd is a turd is a turd.

I don't think it relates that much to Vick, though. This is really an indictment of Rich McKay.

Quote:

I think we'll see Petrino... down the road somewhere else... in college! I totally disagree about Petrino. He is over his head and these stories about not letting players talk, etc. are a very telling example. He did not address the team regarding the Grady situation. The Tennessee game alone shows how bad he doesn't get it. First, pulling Harrington and putting in Leftwich was totally juvenile. That's stuff that High school coaches and Steve Spurrier do. Leftwich was not ready. Jenkins was wide open on the left side on the goal line and Leftwich didn't even look. Then Gandy goes down and he literally had ten minutes to decide what the play was going to be. He decided to let the undrafted free agent tackle, totally cold, first play, go head up on Vanden Bosch? And he had Dunn lined up on the "other" side? Why? Because he wasn't thinking. Those are mistakes "real" HC do not make. We had 5 to's on defense, 2 logg kick returns, a blocked punt, a fake punt, an int for a score and...we got a few field goals? What? He's an offensive "guru" right? I've never seen a worse job of offensive coaching. Then he names Harrington the starter again. Wow! Notice you haven't head Petrino accept any responsibility for our poor showings? Isn't it ultimately "his team"? He's responsible.

This is the NFL. You don't "get your players in". You adapt to what you have and what you can get. It's not college. His inability to adapt to the lineman he has is totally unacceptable. He took something that worked and without question dismantled it and has achieved very little in the way of results using his system. Again, this is not college. The rope is shorter and W/L are the only measuring stick.

The players do not respect him. And how could they? He was a qb coach in the NFL. oooh. He interviewed for every job on the planet in college, including ones that weren't open. (Auburn) And the players he recruited at Louisville are God-awful. They allow like 50 points a game! Somehow I think his record would be signifigantly worse had he been at say Ole Miss instead of playing the weak field that he did.

While the fault ultimately lies with Mckay, Petrino is at fault regarding many issues. Plain and simple, he is not universally respected by his players and that is a nail in the coffin for coaches. I played football for 12 years and I know Petrino's type all too well.

And he even dresses like a high school coach. What's with that white hat and tucked in white polo shirt? Juvenile.

The whole organization lacks leadership. Babineaux is still a Falcon. The man murdered a dog with his own hands. But they cut Grady after dislosing his medical records and signing him on the cheap? Hard to respect Blank for allowing this stuff. Little things make the difference. Petrino is whiffing on all of the little things and most of the big ones.

This is not a team. It's a bunch of players with a guy "playing" Head Coach. He should be coaching Parkview, not the Falcons.

• Admin

some of what you say I agree with, but some is just rubbish. Such as:

"This is the NFL. You don't "get your players in". You adapt to what you have and what you can get."

That's total rubbish. Every coach that takes over a team looks to implement their system and get players that fit that system. They only adapt with the last teams players because they have to until they start get the players that fit. Petrino is no different.

"He took something that worked and without question dismantled it and has achieved very little in the way of results using his system."

You actually think that the system we had in place worked? it was a hack job gimmick system by a clueless staff that appeared to work because we had a QB that couldn't pass and looked to run 3 seconds after the ball was snapped. Without that QB that system was garbage through and through.

"The players do not respect him. And how could they? He was a qb coach in the NFL. oooh"

Your attitude is just as immature and childish as the players who won't respect him because he came from college or was only a qb's coach in the NFL. As a player/employee, even if you don't agree with their decisions you respect the position they hold.

"And he even dresses like a high school coach. What's with that white hat and tucked in white polo shirt? Juvenile."

taking shots at the way he dresses? And you call him juvenile?

get used to him, because unless he leaves on his own accord I think he'll be here for a few years.

• Moderators

Quote:

You actually think that the system we had in place worked? it was a hack job gimmick system by a clueless staff that appeared to work because we had a QB that couldn't pass and looked to run 3 seconds after the ball was snapped. Without that QB that system was garbage through and through.

This may be a "toe-may-toe" or "toe-moh-toe" thing but I would say that we had a system where the pass blocking was so bad that the QB had to look to run 3 seconds after the ball was snapped. This season seems to be proving that in spades.

I think the Alex Gibbs "light athlete - chop blocking OL" running scheme has pretty much run it's course in the NFL. It still works for Denver some in a modified form. But Denver had Elway and Terrel Davis when it really worked. Elway was near the end of his career but he still had a rocket arm and was accurate...and he could still run when he had to. Denver hasn't been in the superbowl after Elway retired. Cutler may develop into a good QB but he ain't gonna be Elway IMO. Everybody thought it would work with MV7 and it did for a bit - but MV7 was nowhere near the QB Elway was. Honestly, if he'd have been dedicated and off the hooch with Reeves coaching him, who knows? McKay brought in WRs - but he wasn't able to get the right ones. Laurent R. is the kind of receiver MV7 needed...an acrobat.

Now - with a new scheme we need the O-linemen to man the positions. It's gonna take awhile. Plus, we obviously need a talented throwing QB who can hit spot throws and go downfield too. Rebuild. detective.gif

.....I have to wonder if Bobby Petrino is having second thoughts about his decision to go from being a very successful college head coach to an NFL head coach. Bobby Petrino is a very good college head coach, but the NFL has eaten up some college head coaches who were arguably better head coaches than Bobby Petrino. Nick Saban comes to mind, and he realized that he didn't really want to be in the NFL after two years.

It's going to be interesting to see the college openings that come about after this season and if Bobby Petrino suddenly becomes interested in one of those jobs. I could see him leaving the Falcons for Auburn if Tommy Tuberville decides to go to Texas A&M or Arkansas.

That hack job running system has dominated the NFL since Bill Walsh took over the 49ers. I think the record speaks for itself. Alex Gibbs did not invent the cut block! I'm just saying he should have kept a few things they were good at. A few running plays they excelled on, etc.

Quote:

"The players do not respect him. And how could they? He was a qb coach in the NFL. oooh"

Your attitude is just as immature and childish as the players who won't respect him because he came from college or was only a qb's coach in the NFL. As a player/employee, even if you don't agree with their decisions you respect the position they hold.

Not if you've known the owner longer and you have more experience at that level. It's more of a partnership at the millionaire level. These are not children or people afraid to stand on principle for fear of not being able to feed their families. These are grown men with money and when they see bullsh!t, they call it.

He's even lost Warrick Dunn. Now you tell me. Is he right? A man that can't communicate with Warrick Dunn is a weazel.

My attitude is fine. They don't respect him because he doesn't act like a man. Not telling them about Grady? C'mon! That would have been easy. Unless he didn't want to look them in the eye, that is. Oh, and his system sucks.

Quote:

"This is the NFL. You don't "get your players in". You adapt to what you have and what you can get."

What I mean is that he won't have 3 or 4 years to see a turnaround in players. He can't recruit his way out of this. The rope is much shorter.

Quote:

taking shots at the way he dresses? And you call him juvenile?

You compared him to a man who has won multiple superbowls!? How does he dress on gamedays? How a man dresses and presents himself says a lot about his personality. He dresses like a college coach. And last time I checked Chillz, we do try to make a joke or two around here, right? I could talk for hours about x's and o's and strictly football FIELD related stuff but this is a basketball site and not everyone knows the ins and outs of how football works. Should we break down his play calling at the Titans? Toss sweep from the 1? WTF? That just defies intellegent, sound football logic. I could go on for days but as I am completely disgusted at this point, I make fun of his shirt, ok?

Quote:

get used to him, because unless he leaves on his own accord I think he'll be here for a few years.

I know. I've already laid out how he will cost us three years. However, the national media threw him under the bus and then some yesterday. Maybe Blank will see the empty seats and start to think about firing McKay. Petrino is surely gone after that.

Would the Falcons have a better record right now if M.V.

hadn't messed up with his life? Sure they would.

Would they be great? No.

One super athlete can do only so much. M.V. is all that.

His explosive running we have all witnessed. We know what

he could do.

M.V. wasn't a great quarterback, however.

Too many problems that were here before our new coach

arrived now just becomes more apparent.

Then, some veteran players refuse to change. Also, some

players simply don't fit in the new scheme of things.

With the entire team built around the now missing M.V.

we can now see the results.

Many changes must be made, thru the draft, trades and

free agent signings after the season. Whether we retain

our current coach or hire someone else, the changes still

must be made.

Without M.V. the Falcons are in a complete rebuild mode.

Can our current G.M. accomplish this? We'll see.

scratchchin.gif

I think McKay and Blank were enamoured with his offensive game and did not take into account the difference in approach between he and Mora. Looking back, Mora was a mistake and lacked maturity. Throwing his headset during tough times showed that. As a result anyone following him would have a tough row to how. Especially Patrino.

Not sure I believe the stuff about not being able to talk. That sounds like radio hype to me. 790 the source????????

I wouldn't be surprised to see Patrino jump back to college and I wouldn't blame him. At this point it might be best for all parties.

Gonna be a long season. Glad tip off is Friday.

Quote:

Not sure I believe the stuff about not being able to talk. That sounds like radio hype to me. 790 the source????????

Well when Vick spoke publicly for the first time, he (PETRINO) got all the players together and did a walk around, and wouldn't let them hear what Vick had to say live. I thought that was treating them like children.

Falcons rebuilding? NO....that's the problem. They need to rebuild and are unwilling to do it. One of the strongest legs in the NFL got cut by the Falcons after the first 2 games of the year. I would have hung on to that guy, and had a lot more patience with him. Falcons want to win and that's why you have Morten still kicking here.

I agree with Arthur going off on Vick in the press conference. AB went wayyyyy too far with his words and could have said the same things with less conVICKton.

The greatest story of all? Is Vick coming back to Atlanta and leading the team to the playoffs. Blank's words has probably ended that.

You have to take the best players in the draft! That's why we have Warrick Dunn, Joe Horn, Byron Leftwich, Joey Harrington, Mughelli (SP), and guys from other team's drafts leading our offense on Sundays.

AB is the reason for TO and Randy Moss not being here. Both guys wanted to come to Atlanta and could have,if it wouldn't for AB's dedication on bringing in the best choir boys. Lockeroom guys is wayyyyyyy over emphaised in the Falcons case.

Bobby Petrino will not last, guranteed!!!