• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Scrimmage Observations

HAWKEYE

The free scrimmage was held at Woodward Academy. Coach Woodson admitted it would not be too intense since the team got in at 2 am from the Hornets game. His daughter is on the volleyball team there that is going for a state title.

The actual scrimmage was in 6 min halves. I had a seat 2 rows behind Steve Holman the Hawks radio announcer. Highlights were Joe Johnson's shot was on. He had 11 points in the first 6 minute half. Was anybody ever worried about him? The scrimmage had Lue running with the first team of Joe, Smoove, Marvin, and Horford against Salim, Mario, Chill, Lo Wright and Shelden. The halftime score was 28-19 and Coach Wodson wanted more defense in the 2nd half and the final score was 36-31. Mario had one of the highlights of the game stealing the ball from Joe and finishing with a nasty dunk. Salim is not a good distributor but we already know that with bad interior and long range passing. Lue played well. Lo Wright even had a decent game while Shelden continues his disappearing act. Josh Smith was favoring his left knee after a late scrimmage foul by Salim. Chill was all over the place with a few highlight dunks but he got stuffed twice within seconds by Josh Smith on a shot and a put back attempt. The scrimmage was short but keeps them sharp for back to back games. Anybody else there? Your feelings...

Wow, you were 2 rows behind Steve Holman? I was one row behind him. I agree with all you said:

-Joe Johnson was on FIRE. He was 3-3 on threes and was hitting everything, as was T. Lue

-Marvin Williams still looks very awkward a lot of the time, but WOW does he have long arms.

-Horford and Shelden were not involved at all on offense

-Mario West looked great, as did Josh Childress

-Lorenzen isn't as bad as I thought he was

-I wanted some signatures afterwards, but oh well. smile.gif

Quote:

Wow, you were 2 rows behind Steve Holman? I was one row behind him. I agree with all you said:

I was over to the right behind you and your running partner. I had on a blue windbreaker. I caught the souvenir ball from Lo Wright in the stands. Last year I sat behind the "Swatguy" and I met "Dawgingermany" and "Vdunkndunk" in the lobby. Well I'm on my way to Virginia in the morning. I always enjoy those up close looks. I forgot to mention Zaza did not participate even in the warmups and Acie Law had his wrist iced up. Solo did not see any action. AJ participated in the warmups but I don't remember him getting in the scrimmage. Coach Woodson had his assistants do the bench coaching. "Speedy Recovery" was a no show.

Nice. Does Woody have 2 daughters, maybe one who just graduated? I could've sworn his daughters had graduated by now.

AJ was just resting up I guess. He's logged a lot of minutes.

JJ was looking great out there with a beautiful shot. Kinda worried about Marvin though. He still has that awkward jog, looks extremely gaunt (even if he did put on some pounds), and still is timid. I'm looking for big things from Childress.

Also, Horford looks a bit thinner than I'd like. I wish he had more Shelden-like shoulders.

Just some stupid observations--sorry.

Quote:

Highlights were Joe Johnson's shot was on. He had 11 points in the first 6 minute half. Was anybody ever worried about him?

Not me. He averaged 25 ppg last season. he could be shooting 20% and i wouldn't be sweating it. He has shown he can play.

Quote:

Shelden continues his disappearing act

*sigh*

Quote:

Josh Smith was favoring his left knee after a late scrimmage foul by Salim.

If he got hit by Batista i would be worried. Salim....not so much.

Thanks for the info.

was when the bigs ( Smoove, Horford, Lo Wright, Shelden and Marvin) were separated at one end of the court from the guards at the other basket and practiced taking passes and shooting inside, midrange and further out on all three sides of the basket. I know Marvin is known as having the picture perfect form but Smoove showed a sweeter stroke and it looks like less of an arc on his shots than he had last year. His release point was quicker than Marvin's, who seems to jump and hang in the air and then releases. Hey I know Marvin is hitting the greater percentage in a game but Smoove was acing that drill while the others incl. Marvin were clanging the rim. Lo Wright was the worst in that drill but he did fine in the actual scrimmage.

I also liked Salim's pushing of the ball and penetration to the basket.

I really was disappointed with Marvin and Shelden last night............

If T. Lue can shoot like that, pass the ball like he did, and not get injured, this might be exactly what we need.

Smoove does have a better looking shot now

I sat on the oppisite side over by Billy Knight. I agree with what has been posted but, I thought Marvin was fairly impressive. There was one time in paticular when he got isolated on Lo and immediatley took him to the basket for a sweet up and under reverse layup. By my god does Marv look awkward when he runs....did you see him when he ran out as they were announcing the starting lineups? My son goes "dad is Marvin Williams hur?...look how he is running."

Also, I think Salim hit Smoove in the nuts on that foul. Josh looked pissed at him as he came back up the court. Marvin, Smoove and Al are all about the same height...each is about 1 inch shorter than Lo. Why the heck was Lo wearing Solo's jersey?

Quote:

was when the bigs ( Smoove, Horford, Lo Wright, Shelden and Marvin) were separated at one end of the court from the guards at the other basket and practiced taking passes and shooting inside, midrange and further out on all three sides of the basket. I know Marvin is known as having the picture perfect form but Smoove showed a sweeter stroke and it looks like less of an arc on his shots than he had last year. His release point was quicker than Marvin's, who seems to jump and hang in the air and then releases. Hey I know Marvin is hitting the greater percentage in a game but Smoove was acing that drill while the others incl. Marvin were clanging the rim. Lo Wright was the worst in that drill but he did fine in the actual scrimmage.

I've been saying this about Smoove for some time now. I've always felt his shot would continue to improve. He also has more range than Marvin. I would expect Smoove to hit more open j's this year. Nice to hear the good news!

I don't get too worked up about how those guys look in less structured environments, particularly Shelden. Guys like Smoove and Chillz usually look like the next coming of Jordan in scrimmages because they thrive when the pace is somewhat ragged. On the otherhand, Marvin and Shelden tend to look better when things are more organized. That's just the way iy is.

Quote:

I don't get too worked up about how those guys look in less structured environments, particularly Shelden. Guys like Smoove and Chillz usually look like the next coming of Jordan in scrimmages because they thrive when the pace is somewhat ragged. On the otherhand, Marvin and Shelden tend to look better when things are more organized. That's just the way iy is.

Marvin and Shelden play as if they never played pick-up in the hood. They both can improve playing under the shed and at run-n-shoot.

Quote:

Nice. Does Woody have 2 daughters, maybe one who just graduated? I could've sworn his daughters had graduated by now.

AJ was just resting up I guess. He's logged a lot of minutes.

JJ was looking great out there with a beautiful shot. Kinda worried about Marvin though. He still has that awkward jog, looks extremely gaunt (even if he did put on some pounds), and still is timid. I'm looking for big things from Childress.

Also, Horford looks a bit thinner than I'd like. I wish he had more Shelden-like shoulders.

Just some stupid observations--sorry.

I knew it. Now I know why Salim gets no PT. He must have tagged one of Woody's daughters. nol2.gif

The problem is that Shelden hasn't looked great in the preseason either. I believe Swat meant these guys need to more agressive and tougher on the court. You nailed the aggressive part but they,especially Shelden has to be more of a force down low.

Question 1: Would you start Lo wright the four times the Hawks play Shaq? Horford or ZaZa don't have the size to contest any shot he wants to put up.

Question 2: Is Dale Davis still a free agent? The guy looked ripped last season playing for the pistons and could help the Hawks down low against Shaq, D.Howard and E. Curry.

I MIGHT give him some PT against MIA but I would stick with the same starting lineup that has been playing together when we play them - whether it be Zaza or Horford starting at C.

As for Dale Davis, I'm sure he is out there but we are going to have to deal with the guys you listed by doubling them most of the time.

I like how detroit always seems to stockpile big men. They had Rasheed, Nazi, Mcdyess, Dale Davis and they even traded for Cato. Its like they knew they were going to be contenders and that Miami beat them so they prepared to face shaq. I would like the Hawks to prepare better for the two monster big men in the southeast division and around the NBA. Double teaming will compromise the defense tremendously. I would rather have a guy who can bang with shaq(take punishment),etc. one on one for a good amount of minutes. I would let them score and shut down every one else. Right now the Hawks cannot do that because no one can guard shaq or D.Howard.