Could Smoove be going to ......

Diesel

• Premium Member

Houston?

Just thinking here:

IF Smoove forced our hand in the offseason...

Do you think we'd take Battier, Head, and 2 first for Smoove in a SNT?

My thought is why train with Dream and Murphy in Houston this summer?

His agent set it up? Were there not other players in Atl that he could have worked with?

Quote:

I heard he took a vacation to Miami this summer.

Visited the Lincoln Memorial, too.

May have even made it out west to see the Grand Canyon...

He's as good as gone.
banghead.gif

LOL.

Also, Shaq was seen partying in Atlanta this summer.

You got to tolerate people with rich imagination, because they don't know when they go overboard.

Quote:

Houston?

Just thinking here:

IF Smoove forced our hand
in the offseason...

Then after that, JJ will ask to be traded because 2 more picks is not enough help.

His agent set it up? Were there not other players in Atl that he could have worked with?

All he can do next summer is resign with us, sign an offer sheet (which we will immediately match) or accept the $3.2M qualifying offer and become an unrestricted FA the following year. If he does the latter, we focus our sights on another team's restricted FA (Okafor, Deng, Gordon, Iggy, Biedrins) or we go after Brand, Arenas, B Diddy or another high profile FA who opts out of their deal next summer. Honestly, it would be in Smoove's best interest to have a great season if he wants to get paid. A lineup of:

Okafor

Horford

Marvin/Chillz

JJ

Law

might not look too bad next season.

BTW, I love Okafor, but he just turned down $13M/season, as he wants Dwight Howard money (max contract/$15M/season). If Smoove only ends up around $10M/season, we'd have to move somebody else as well. And from what I read, Biedrins was looking for something in the $12-13M range as well.

Quote:

Houston?

Just thinking here:

IF Smoove forced our hand
in the offseason...

that's horrible value. Those firsts are borderline 2nd rounders and Battier just simply isn't as valuable.

Quote:

First of all lots of people work out with Hakeem. Luol Deng worked out with him last year I believe. Secondly, who better to go to?

The only way I see us going after Okafor (or any other restricted FA on my list) is if we were unable to come to terms with Smoove.

I guess it is possible that the team might decide that they would rather have one of the restricted FAs on the list more than Smoove but going after a restricted FA is going to force you to overpay somewhat.

Quote:

All he can do next summer is resign with us, sign an offer sheet (which we will immediately match) or accept the $3.2M qualifying offer and become an unrestricted FA the following year.

Or he publically demands a trade and reduces his value, or the offer sheet is a max, heavily front- (or back-) loaded one.

Quote:

If he does the latter, we focus our sights on another team's restricted FA (Okafor, Deng, Gordon, Iggy, Biedrins) or we go after Brand, Arenas, B Diddy or another high profile FA who opts out of their deal next summer.

How? We will still be near the cap. JS coming off the books offers us almost NO money. Although AJ and ZaZa come off the books we have to sign or replace ZaZa. We would be better off if Childress came off the books than JS and still that's pennys. There is absolutely NO way we can get a major FA with or without JS on the payroll. We can afford him in large part because he is OUR free agent.

W

First, name the teams who can and would offer Smoove this frontloaded, max offer sheet. The few teams who even could create the space to do something like that would basically have to dismantle their teams to make it happen.

Second, guys like Okafor, Iguodala, Deng, Gordon and Biedrins will be just as available as Smoove. Why are the few teams who might be able to make amax offer to a restricted FA any more likely to offer the contract to Smoove rather than one of those guys.

Third, Arenas, Marion and a few other All Stars can opt out. Smoove will also be competing with them if he tries to go elsewhere.

Finally, if Smoove is good enough to be the most desired player of all the ones listed above, we will match anyway, no matter howfrontloaded the deal is. Even a frontloaded, max deeal for Smoove won't have us anywhere near the luxury tax.

As for how we would go after another teams restricted

FA, the same way they would come after ours. Yes, we might have to trade Zaza or Shelden for a 2nd round pick but if that created enough space for us to make an offer to a guy we really wanted (Okafor, Biedrins, Arenas), then so be it.

Quote:

First, name the teams who can and would offer Smoove this frontloaded, max offer sheet. The few teams who even could create the space to do something like that would basically have to dismantle their teams to make it happen.

Second, guys like Okafor, Iguodala, Deng, Gordon and Biedrins will be just as available as Smoove. Why are the few teams who might be able to make amax offer to a restricted FA any more likely to offer the contract to Smoove rather than one of those guys.

Third, Arenas, Marion and a few other All Stars can opt out. Smoove will also be competing with them if he tries to go elsewhere.

Finally, if Smoove is good enough to be the most desired player of all the ones listed above, we will match anyway, no matter howfrontloaded the deal is. Even a frontloaded, max deeal for Smoove won't have us anywhere near the luxury tax.

As for how we would go after another teams restricted

FA, the same way they would come after ours. Yes, we might have to trade Zaza or Shelden for a 2nd round pick but if that created enough space for us to make an offer to a guy we really wanted (Okafor, Biedrins, Arenas), then so be it.

Why the hell are you guys talking about max, he not that good or even close enough to make 8 million a year, he deserve what Zaza got: MLE, that way the risk equals the reward, why the hell would we fixate ourselves for. This is not a video game, you can't control Smith and make him play a certain way, any decent contract and this could be Alan Henderson all over again.

If any of you guys seen my past posts you know I don't like Josh Smith. There a reason why, he will not become a good player a winning or playoff team. He is a good rebounder, and is aggresive but just like SAR he doesn't have a lot in his mind to be a successful outside of himself. He not a team player, he has no IQ, awful shot selection and were in his 4th season, if he couldn't do it now, he never will. If he is on a winning team he would be a good player to come off the bench and provide spark, he also needs to be monitor on how many shots he can take and when and where or he will be benched. That's how JS can become a solid player on a winning team, until then he will stay out of position, well the hawks system for his is to isolate him so other players can move around without any diseuption in the sets but that will only get worst if this team makes the playoffs. I know it's better next season if he wasn't on this roster.