Marvin WIlliams Worth the #2 Pick (So Far)

wolvetigers

Ive been one of the few supporters of BK's drafting over the past few years. Ok so I wish he may have selected Brandon Roy instead of Shell Head, but honestly the Hawks needed to get some toughness and grit. Hawks selecting Marvin Williams over Chris Paul and Deron WIlliams has been beat to death in the media over the past two years and now that we have Law I'm satisfied. We can agree to disagree over that issue, but one thing is becoming clear. Marvin Williams is proving his worth as a #2pick. Lets hope he stays healthy and continues to play hard.

GO HAWKS

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Long way to go before he catches up with those two PGs, but he sure has shown potential that he might be in the same group some day.

Some people here would still want to trade him for a bag of chips though. You are about to be viciously attacked by them.

yes but he's now probably the top 5 players in the draft now

I agree about Bogut. I never wanted Bogut and I felt that BK would have drafted Bogut had the Bucks taken Marvin.

We cant do a draft over and Marvin can play anyway. Shelden as the 5th pick is a bigger miss because he just doesn't have a lot of room to grow. Shelden is a career off the bench guy. BK's other picks at least can play.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Long way to go before he catches up with those two PGs, but he sure has shown potential that he might be in the same group some day.

Some people here would still want to trade him for a bag of chips though. You are about to be viciously attacked by them.

yes but he's now probably the top 5 players in the draft now

Honestly, he's playing great because he is hitting his shots. He's pretty much playing much like he did in his previous seasons here. He's still a jumpshooter, but he looks a lot more confident out there. I like his newfound confidence and upper body strength. He tried to be assertive at times last season, but he would get blocked or stripped and then shy away from the hole. He seems to be throwing his weight around this season. Evidence of that can be seen in his improved rebounds. Glad to see the young guy coming around. BTW, I still would've taken Paul or Deron! grin.gif

Marvin is looking great...playing with a lot of confidence and increased savvy. You can definitely see why he was taken number 2 now.

Between the way he's playing lately and the way Law is playing, it's a lot easier to get passed DW and CP, especially since we almost certainly wouldn't have gotten Horford if we had either of those PG's since we would have won too many games.

So overall, I'm liking how the team is constructed right now. How many teams in the league could have their C, PF, SF, and backup SF all grab double digit rebounds - and all of them still playing on rookie contracts?

Quote:

Between the way he's playing lately and the way Law is playing, it's a lot easier to get passed DW and CP, especially since we almost certainly wouldn't have gotten Horford if we had either of those PG's since we would have won too many games.

So overall, I'm liking how the team is constructed right now. How many teams in the league could have their C, PF, SF, and backup SF all grab double digit rebounds - and all of them still playing on rookie contracts?

you know what I rarely hear these days...those Billy Knight bashing we used to have.

Quote:

especially with the duckbutt . . . Go Marvin!

Duckbutts are great assets for baseball hitters and cricket batsmen because duckbutts give the player huge advantage on balance when they lean forward.

Looks like Marvin's duckbutt is giving him similar balance advantage while shooting.

On the post, it'd bring new meaning to backing down an opponent. Marvin would be unstoppable, at least until an old-schooler brought back the old "pull the chair" routine started by Rodman, I think (you know, let the poster fall when he tries to lean on you and you move out of the way).

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

you know what I rarely hear these days...those Billy Knight bashing we used to have.

Allow me grin.gif. Knight came off as a pompous jerk, and that's something you CANNOT do when you are the GM of one of the worst teams in the NBA. The fact that we're coming together now does not change the past. We passed on some players that could have made our rebuilding much, MUCH easier. The fact that he would never acknowledge that didn't do him any favors with the fans, especially when the evidence of this could be seen on a nightly basis on the teams that took advantage of Knight's "genius" to draft their own Rookies of the Year. But that's the past now. All will be forgotten when we make the playoffs this season. cool.gif

Quote:

I agree about Bogut. I never wanted Bogut and I felt that BK would have drafted Bogut had the Bucks taken Marvin.

I didn't either, I wasn't sold on Marvin or Bogut predraft. I was actually hoping for the 3rd pick so we could get Paul or Felton. But Marvin is playing great right now. He is certainly proving me wrong about bashing him and I give him credit for that. I really hope he keeps it up and I'm definitely rooting for him.

Quote:

Honestly, he's playing great because he is hitting his shots. He's pretty much playing much like he did in his previous seasons here. He's still a jumpshooter

Isn't that exactly what Deng/Carmelo do? Carmelo is obviously much more advanced, but that's his basic game. His entire offensive game relies on his midrange jumper. After making a few, it allows him to fake out defenders and get to the basket and get fouled.

It's the same with Deng, Deng is PRIMARILY a midrange jumpshooter. He's great at moving without the ball, plays good defense, and drives when he gets the opportunity.

One thing BOTH had an advantage on Marvin is like you said, confidence. It's obvious how confident Marvin looks out there. One thing Marvin has on Carmelo and Deng is athletic ability, he's much more athletic than both, so he has more potential to be an around the rim finisher. Hopefully he keeps developing.

Last year was Marvin's 1st year as a starter.

Absolute joke how many people definitively said that was a mistake.

Damon Stoudamire was better than KG his first 3 years in the league.

Van Horn was better than McGrady his first 3 years.

You can't judge jack squat after 2. Especially for a player who was making is first start for the season since HS.

BTW, just like the Josh Smith thread, notice those with the agenda hide under a rock.

Absolute joke how the Smoove/Marvin haters respond.

I hope they both can be on fire every night so those clowns don't ever post any crap

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Honestly, he's playing great because he is hitting his shots. He's pretty much playing much like he did in his previous seasons here. He's still a jumpshooter

Isn't that exactly what Deng/Carmelo do? Carmelo is obviously much more advanced, but that's his basic game. His entire offensive game relies on his midrange jumper. After making a few, it allows him to fake out defenders and get to the basket and get fouled.

It's the same with Deng, Deng is PRIMARILY a midrange jumpshooter. He's great at moving without the ball, plays good defense, and drives when he gets the opportunity.

One thing BOTH had an advantage on Marvin is like you said, confidence. It's obvious how confident Marvin looks out there. One thing Marvin has on Carmelo and Deng is athletic ability, he's much more athletic than both, so he has more potential to be an around the rim finisher. Hopefully he keeps developing.

I hope he continues to develop as well. It's good to see him play well. I wouldn't go too far on the Carmelo/Marvin comparisons though. Marvin is a nice component to complete your team. You build the team AROUND Carmelo. Carmelo IS A BEAST at the SF spot, while Marv is coming into his own at SF as of this season.

Quote:

I wouldn't go too far on the Carmelo/Marvin comparisons though. Marvin is a nice component to complete your team. You build the team AROUND Carmelo. Carmelo IS A BEAST at the SF spot, while Marv is coming into his own at SF as of this season.

Understand that I've been one of the biggest Marvin bashers on this board. My post was not comparing Marvin to Carmelo AT ALL, but rather comparing their style of play.

You said that Marvin is playing basically the same as he did last year, he's just hitting his jumpers. Well, Carmelo and Deng's respective offensive games COMPLETELY relies on their midrange J's. I'm saying it's possible to have an efficient offensive game even if it relies on a midrange J.

Quote:

Carmelo is obviously much more advanced, but that's his basic game. His entire offensive game relies on his midrange jumper.

Not really. He makes his living taking it to the basket and getting to the ft line.

Compare his shot selection to other wing players and you can see what i mean. He drives more often than most because of his quickness, strength and ball handling ability.

http://www.82games.com/0607/06DEN10A.HTM

He was one of the league leaders at scoring inside.