• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will Woody or Joe ever stop Smoove from dribbling?

TroyMcClure

I guess not. Somebody needs to, though. The kid only hurts himself. He needs to be controlled. His dribbling is out of control and almost cost us last night. As fans, we have to live with it because of all of the defensive plays he makes and he has a knack for making a big play on offense. But Woody as the coach and Joe as the team captain, could do something about it. He needs to cut it out with the creative dribbling and just instinctively dribble when the situation calls for it. When he starts thinking and driblling at the same time it gets really ugly.

And what is up with his j? I'm almost sorry I've defended it for so long. His shot selection from the perimeter is awful.

Troy, you really are a bit too negative man. Enjoy the win. Take a game off.

Smoove needs to learn to dribble, not stop altogether. He and Marvin are still growing into their big lanky bodies, so the dribbling will improve, I think. Once he figures out how to dribble and shoot, Smoove really will be an All-Star!

Quote:

As fans, we have to live with it because of all of the defensive plays he makes and he has a knack for making a big play on offense.

That is the story right there. Hopefully as other guys get better offensively he will spend less time handling the ball.

• Admin

personally I don't think it's something he'll ever be much better at than he is now. He could improve marginally, but it's not like he got to the NBA and learned that he needed to dribble more. He's been playing that style game his entire life. It's just that at this level his dribbling ability is outclassed by the defensive capabilities of his opponents. I think it should be accepted that he's not a "give the ball and get out of his way" type of player and there's nothing wrong with that. While he is freakishly athletic in many ways for a guy his size, that doesn't mean he can do everything or should even try. He needs to be made to understand that too. He needs to learn to play to his strengths and stop thinking that his athleticism will allow him to do everything at this level that it did in highschool.

Someone that he could trust that would go to the ball, run with him, set him up on the oop. Seriously, right now what is the difference between Smoove bringing it up and anyone else? Law isn't ready, T-Lue isn't a Point Guard. Joe and Chills are only marginally better at handling the ball.

I agree that we need the ball out of his hands but so many good things happen when he takes it to the cup that his poor ball handling skills are almost offset by this.

Let's get Andre Miller before Boston does.

• Admin

Quote:

Seriously, right now what is the difference between Smoove bringing it up and anyone else? Law isn't ready, T-Lue isn't a Point Guard. Joe and Chills are only marginally better at handling the ball.

seriously, you must be joking. Law might not be ready and Lue might not be a PG, but both have infinitely better ball handling than Josh. Joe and Childress are both significantly better as well. You can include Marvin in there too.

The only way he can "take it to the cup" is if he has a very wide up lane or if someone catches him on the move. That's really the only time he should too. He needs to be broken of these habits before they become hallmarks that are used against him.

what are yall complaining about? i dont have a problem with smoove dribbling to be honestly. there is a difference between

dribbling and handles. hes a good dribbler but poor handles. most of his tunovers this season wasn't his dribbling or his handles but his passes and when he posts up people steal it from him. he hasnt been called for travling or walking this season.

i dont think he needs stop dribbling but he needs some to set him for an oop...i dont i seen one yet.

Quote:

Someone that he could trust that would go to the ball, run with him, set him up on the oop. Seriously, right now what is the difference between Smoove bringing it up and anyone else? Law isn't ready, T-Lue isn't a Point Guard. Joe and Chills are only marginally better at handling the ball.

What games are you watching? Law, Lue, Marvin, Joe and Horford all handle the ball exponentially better than Josh Smith. When I see the latter put the ball on the floor it astounds me that an NBA player could have such poor fundamentals. Luckily the other aspects of his game are off the charts.

Quote:

When I see the latter put the ball on the floor it astounds me that an NBA player could have such poor fundamentals.

There are actually alot of successful players that can't dribble at all (if I understood your quote correctly). Pierce/Deng are prime examples. There are tons more but those are off the top of my head.

Quote:

He's basically Kevin Willis with more athleticism.

What ? just b/c Steve Smith yelled "Kevin Willis with the jump hook" when Smoove made a hook shot does not mean Josh Smith's game is anything like Kevin Willis. (except for one play)

Willis was a beat. Willis was Al Horford with 2 more inches. Willis got down and dirty in the paint. rebounded like a beast, and nevertried to dribble the ball or hoist up out side jumpers.

Willis was a true PF / C.

Smoove is SF / PF.