• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Question Sabatoges Chat

thesheedera

Didn't see this posted, if it was - my bad.

This is just hilarious. Thought it was a joke at first. Maybe Ford's head exploded or something?

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=17965

Chat with Chad Ford

Welcome to The Show! On Thursday, ESPN NBA Insider Chad Ford will drop by to talk some NBA hoops.

Ford covers the NBA and NBA Draft for ESPN Insider and also makes appearances on ESPN Radio and ESPNEWS.

Send in your questions to Chad now, then join him right here in The Show on Thursday at 1 p.m. ET!

Ford Archive: Chats | Columns

Chad Ford: Aloha everyone. Thanks for coming by. Lots to talk about ... Judging by the comments here and at the end of the story ... I think more than a few of you are upset about the Kobe story I wrote on Tuesday. Here we go ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nate (LA, CA): you are an idiot. that article you wrote about kobe was garbage. stop hating on him and step into reality. he is the best player in the world...no one has his killer instinct, especially dirk. to comare him with dirk is rediculous. i have lost a lot of respect for you as a writer.

Chad Ford: Yeah ... I think that sums it up. Based on the comments I'm not sure how many of you actually read the piece. I stated multiple times that Kobe is GREAT, perhaps the best offensive player in the NBA. However, the question is ... given a number of factors from his age (mileage), total basketball production (not just points scored, defense, assists, etc count too), questions about his leadership and selfishness, huge contract and most importantly ... the fact that most teams that trade for him would have to gut their roster ... is Kobe worth it? From the people I've talked to around the league ... these are real questions. I raised the questions in the article. Apparently ... for those of you in love with Kobe ... that was blasphemy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eric, Houston: I agree with most of what you said about Kobe. But name me one player you would rather have in the last 30 seconds, down by 1.

Chad Ford: I think that question is irrelevant. Basketball is a team game that takes 48 minutes. If a GM guts his team to get Kobe ... how many times will they realistically in that situation. Ask the Lakers. We remember when he hits the big shots and Kobe can hit them. But if the team around him sucks ... it's irrelevant.

Kevin (Charlotte): It seemed like your intent with your Kobe article was to put him down and try to make s big splash with it, regardless if the facts supported what you wanted to write or not.

Chad Ford: Not at all Kevin. I wrote the story because I hadn't heard the media talking about the things that everyone in the league was talking about. These are questions about Kobe ... not answers. I could write a similar piece about Tim Duncan and even LeBron. My point is that many in the media (and fans) assume that Kobe is regarded as the best player in the league and are therefore frustrated that teams aren't offering more. Rightly or wrongly, I was trying to explain why teams have been reluctant to pull the trigger. As I said numerous times in the article, Kobe is great. I just don't think he can win a championship by himself. So the question becomes, given the super high asking price, can I put a winner on the floor with Kobe? To answer that question ... you have to analyze Kobe with a magnifying glass. That's all.

Patty (LA): Chad, you dont think perhaps the GMs you spoke to about Kobe, wanted to portray his value as lesser so that he wouldn't cost so much to acquire? How often does a GM say a player is worth so much when said player is available? Typically they denigrate his value.

Chad Ford: Sure ... that's part of the game. But the conversations I had were long and involved. My sense was that several teams were genuinely trying to wrap their arms around the whole thing. It's a risk and GMs are typically risk adverse. If you give up all of your good young talent for Kobe ... you better win it all. If not, in 3 to 4 years, your team will stink while the young players you traded away are hitting their prime. Given that the Bulls just went through a long, painful rebuilding process after MJ retired, you can understand why they might not have the stomach to go through it again. At least the last time, fans had 6 championships to savor. Kobe would have to deliver at least a couple to make it worth it.

Rob (Los Angeles, CA): As a Lakers fan Chad, I applaud you for that article. Those questions you asked about Kobe seemed like the same questions the Lakers asked about Shaq when they decided to trade him. Do you think, in the long run, the Lakers would be better off tradeing Kobe starting the rebuilding process all over again?

Chad Ford: In the short term no ... in the long term yes. If they are committed to building around Andrew Bynum, then you have to be patient. Kobe isn't. Adding a couple of really talented young players around him (I personally think if you can get Ben Gordon, Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah you pull the trigger) then you do it. Lakers have other assets like Odom they can also trade for cap relief or young players. The team would be set to be very competitive in a few years when older teams like the Spurs, Suns and Mavs start to wane. As it stands now ... those teams are too good for the Lakers to beat. In a few years that won't be the case.

Russell (Cary, NC): Is this a typical slow start for the Bulls this season, or is there a legit reason to panic?

Chad Ford: I'm not sure I buy that the team is distracted because of the trade talks. I think that not getting extensions done may have hurt more. I also think Ben Wallace is clearly on the decline and he's hurting. And the team really lacks any sort of inside presence. And .. why isn't Noah playing? I'm not sure Kobe is the answer in Chicago, but if Big Ben doesn't get on the mend soon ... Paxson's going to have to do something.

Matt (Vegas): Chad: How bout the Atlanta Hawks? They have looked like playoff contenders so far during a brutal opening schedule. Everybody always rips on Billy Knight and it is easy to do because he passed on CP3 and Deron but his vision of having a team full of long-athletic players is finally coming to fruition and giving opponents nightmares. Every Hawks opponent comments about how difficult and frustrating it is to deal with such a long athletic team (e.g. Steve Nash last night). I know it seems like crazy but is it possible that Billy Knight actually deserves some credit???

Buzzmaster: We're experiencing some technical difficulties here, folks. Keep sending in those questions!

Buzzmaster: Sorry folks. Looks like our technical difficulties killed the rest of our chat with Chad.

Future News:

"After last night's upset of the Boston Celtics by the Atlanta Hawks at the Garden, there has been a rash of minor brain hemorages by NBA experts arond the country. Stephen A. Smith (one of the few who did make it to work for his ESPN segment) began bleeding from the ears when the Hawks' upset was brought up. In desparation, ESPN put out an emergency call to Sir Charles Barkely...one of the few analysts who does not seem to be affected by this strange malady." (developing)

detective.gif

• Premium Member

Hawks defeat injured Celtic team.

Injuries was the story in the Atlanta Hawks 107 to 88 pounding of the Boston Celtics on Friday Night in front of a sold out Boston Garden Crowd. "We noticed that this team was running hard from the tip" says Ray Allen who played 39 minutes and scored 16 points in the loss. "Those young guys sure get after you" Allen pointed out when as he talked about the 23 turnovers committed by the Celtics. Many believe that this upset is due to injuries to James Posey and 3rd string Center Qwerty Uiop of Slavlanka. "We sure missed James tonight" chimed Allen after going 3-18 from the 3 point line. Coach Rivers could not be contacted, he too is in the process of grieving over the loss of his father after this hard loss to the Hawks. The one bright spot was the play of Kevin Garnett who came away from the game having scored 24 points and 12 rebounds in 48 minutes. Garnett could be seen visibly disturbed after the win saying that " I suit up everynight, I suit up everynight, banged up hurt, 100%, 30%... I'm losing.. I'm losing!"

Quote:

Future News:

"After last night's upset of the Boston Celtics by the Atlanta Hawks at the Garden, there has been a rash of minor brain hemorages by NBA experts arond the country. Stephen A. Smith (one of the few who did make it to work for his ESPN segment) began bleeding from the ears when the Hawks' upset was brought up. In desparation, ESPN put out an emergency call to Sir Charles Barkely...one of the few analysts who does not seem to be affected by this strange malady." (developing)

detective.gif

Lets me this come true boyz!