• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Breakfast with Bernie

DJlaysitup

Quote:

If Smoove ends up averaging 18/10 with 3 or 4 blocks a game based on his age and potential he might very well get some near max offers. He is putting up tremendous stats even with his frequent mental lapses. If he ever matures as a player he could be a full blown superstar and many teams could be willing to pay the price.

That's the best thing about what Bernie said. He said that they will absolutely pay Josh Smith what he is worth. So if he is a max player, they will pay him like one. They WON'T pay him like a max player if he isn't one though.

Bernie said that they will match whatever other teams offer him. I don't know if that is completely true, but it's good enough for now. It will definitely make other teams think twice before they try to give him an offer. With so many free agents, it could really hurt to have your cap space taken up trying to get Josh Smith when you already know the Hawks are just going to match. They could be spending that time/cap space trying to get someone they actually have a shot at.

Quote:

AHF, I know that you and a few others understand the luxury tax and the issues associated with it but I don't think a lot of people do. PHO is right at the luxury tax limit while we are some $16M below it. No matter what we pay Smoove and Chillz next year, we won't even be CLOSE to the luxury tax.

I think it is possible that we will be able to sign both Smoove and Chillz and stay at our under the salary cap for next season. If we can't though, I think ownership is likely to be willing to exceed the salary cap to resign our guys, I just don't think they would be willing to pay the luxury tax.

I understand we can sign Smoove and Chill without a problem. My thing is, down the line, Marvin and Horford are going to command hefty contracts too.

I'm just wondering how we possibly can have Joe, Smoove, Marvin, Horford, Chill and Law all around for the next many years. It just seems like it will be too expensive.

I'm talking 2-3 years from now (basically, when it's time to pony up for Horford).

Quote:

Every year teams that are basically capped out manuever under the cap far enough to grab a prime free agents. We have all witnessed it to many times before to discount that possibility.

I think this is the mentality a lot of people have. I think what people don't realize is how unlikely it is for a team to clear their cap.

If it is likely I'd like a good list of all the teams that did it.

Quote:

If they don't resign Smoove they have a PR nightmare. Home town kid, won the dunk contest. They would have to spend more than what they'd have to pay him to erase all of the bad PR.

I think Chill is a different story given that he is a

stanford man.

PR nightmare, he's not Michael Vick, no one really cares about the Hawks enough for that, you might be mad but PR nightmare, no.