Grrrrrr. Sekou: On Speedy.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Quote:

By Sekou K. Smith

November 8, 2007 6:54 PM | Link to this

Speedy’s on the shelf until further notice. There’s no story there. The point guards you see in uniform on game night are the only ones playing anytime soon Mr. West, so there’s nothing to investigate.

AJC Blog

SPEEDY NEEDS TO RETIRE! It's the right thing for him AND the organization.

Quote:

But there are some intriguing individual battles to be waged Friday night. Ray Allen vs. Joe Johnson. Marvin Williams vs. Paul Pierce. And Kevin Garnett vs. Josh Smith. Those three alone are worth the price of a ticket.

The Celtics are playing with KG’s spirit right now, which is tough to match. So I’ll be interested to see how these Hawks respond with the spotlight cranked up even more than it has been against Dallas, Detroit and Phoenix (sorry New Jersey but the Izod Center atmosphere leaves a bit to be desired).

This game will be the closest thing to a playoff game that the Hawks have played. One thing about the Hawks is that while the execution frequently isn't there, the energy generally is especially against tough opponents.

They just need to run them ragged, hopefully without the turnovers.

As far as Speedy goes seriously wtf. At least Law will get plenty of opportunities to show what he can do, especially considering how lame Lue and AJ have been.

Boston has zero depth. This should be the night we push the ball all night. Keep the transition game going. If we can wear their big 3 down, we've got a legitimate chance. If we get into a 1/2 court game with Boston, they will pick our team apart I'm afraid.

Quote:

Quote:

By Sekou K. Smith

November 8, 2007 6:54 PM | Link to this

Speedy’s on the shelf until further notice. There’s no story there. The point guards you see in uniform on game night are the only ones playing anytime soon Mr. West, so there’s nothing to investigate.

AJC Blog

SPEEDY NEEDS TO RETIRE! It's the right thing for him AND the organization.

I asked him to do investigative journalism and this is what he came out with. Why can't he go a little deep into it? Getting stonewalled? banghead.gif

Quote:

Boston has zero depth. This should be the night we push the ball all night. Keep the transition game going. If we can wear their big 3 down, we've got a legitimate chance. If we get into a 1/2 court game with Boston, they will pick our team apart I'm afraid.

And they need to take the ball to the basket. Driving on them given that they lack depth will get us to the line. Other than KG the other guys are not defensive stallwarts, so take it to them. Get a couple fouls early and that changes the whole complexity of the game.

It will also be good to have Za back for some minutes.

That freaking sucks if it happens. We need to seriously include this guy in some type of trade. If we do a S&T with Childress in the offseason speedy definitely needs to be included. Speedy is stealing money from this organization. He has no heart or mental toughness.

• Moderators

If Speedy gets healthy there is certainly a place for him on this team, but I am not counting on a second of court time for him this season if I am the Hawks. Take it as gravy if it comes but this guy is totally unreliable since he arrived.

Quote:

If Speedy gets healthy there is certainly a place for him on this team, but I am not counting on a second of court time for him this season if I am the Hawks. Take it as gravy if it comes but this guy is totally unreliable since he arrived.

I was all for it at the time, but now realize that his signing is one og the worst FA signings in the history of sports. Luckily he has a relatively modest salary. Had this happened with a max level player it would destroy the franchise.

The fact that he is making $6MM a year means that this is not anywhere close to one of the worst FA signings in the history of the sports. There's a lot of guys who have done just as little who made a lot more.

With that said, we are certainly throwing $6MM/year down the drain, and I don't expect to get another minute of worthwhile production from Speedy.

I think it would be foolish for the Hawk's brass to expect any contribution from Craig at all. Given his extreme injury history, IMO we are better off putting him on the shelf for good unless we have serious injury problems with our other guards. Having Craig play a pattern of five games followed by five games to recuperate causes serious damage to team chemistry. Retirement should be a very real option for Craig.

Am I the only one that feels screwed a little bit with ALL the preseason hype that everyone (ESPECIALLY Claxton) was healthy and ready to go? I can understand and accept the Zaza minor injury, but Claxton probably won't end up playing 60 games in 2 years for us and what pisses most of us off is that he can play and make an impact when healthy.

SERIOUSLY!!! Why can't we just buy him out for maybe 60-70% of his remaining deal or ask him to do us a favor and retire?

We could pick up a solid vet PG like Francis from HOU, where he is in Adelman's doghouse? He was boughtout by NY and is only making about $2.5M.

Now a lot of people say that he's been a cancer in past situations but he seems to have grown up a lot over the past year. The way that he's handling not playing any minutes right now in HOU shows that he his maturity is on another level.

I don't know about ya'll, but I would love to have a 6'3/ 195lb, athletic PG that can score in a lot ways, rebound like a forward, and dish out assists. He could come off the bench with about 10-12ppg / 4reb/ 4ast and that would make us even strong and deeper. Or he could easily start here in front of the rookie to ease Acie's development a litte more. Francis/ Law makes us bigger and more athletic in the backcourt with JJ and that's way better than Lue/ AJ/ and 30% of Speedy.

• Moderators

Quote:

The way that he's handling not playing any minutes right now in HOU shows that he his maturity is on another level.

He shows up out of shape and gets benched for it and his play and that should convince us he is a good trade target due to his increasing maturity? I am struggling on this one.

worrying about when he is coming back. He AIN'T coming back, at least in any form that will make him a signifcant long term contributor to the team. I like Craig but he is an undersized PG with no J who relied on his speed to be effective. He might come back for a game or 3 here and there but his knees are not ever going to be rght again.

Medical information is confidential. It can't be disclosed without the patient's consent. The team is entitled to know it, but they can not reveal a word of it without authorization from the patient. At this point, Speedy no doubt has no interest in having his medical condition revealed to the press and public; he is laying as low as he can and does not want to discuss it. No one who has never experienced having their personal matters debated in public and on the airwaves can know how unpleasant that is.

I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Hol. Inn Express, so here is the lowdown on Speedy's condition:

Speedy now listens only to the Orthopod in Vancouver, or wherever that was, who properly diagnosed and surgically repaired his knee this offseason. When the other knee became inflamed a few weeks ago, Speedy went back to him. He told S. that there are only 2 alternatives: rest (and hope) and surgery. Surgery might well end his season. So he is going to try rest, probably for about 6 to 8 weeks, and then gradually try to work himself back. If that doesnt' work, he'll have the surgery and we'll see him next year.

The players said it was obvious Speedy had worked hard this offseason, and he was in great shape and really impressive on the court at the beginning of camp. I personally have no reason to see him as a slacker. He's had a frustrating experience, with big setbacks, a la Mike Hampton (who is really eating up some salary). He's universally vilified for it, unlike Mike. Don't expect him to supply the frenzy with any more fresh meat in the form of current medical information anytime soon.

Quote:

...I like Craig but he is an undersized PG with no J who relied on his speed to be effective...

Yeah...it's kind of like being a racecar driver whose eyes are going bad. Without solid knees he's no longer "Speedy".

I would agree that if we can get him back at all we use him off the bench in spurts to provide a defensive PG presence, but no big minute games for Speedy any more.

Quote:

Medical information is confidential. It can't be disclosed without the patient's consent. The team is entitled to know it, but they can not reveal a word of it without authorization from the patient. At this point, Speedy no doubt has no interest in having his medical condition revealed to the press and public; he is laying as low as he can and does not want to discuss it. No one who has never experienced having their personal matters debated in public and on the airwaves can know how unpleasant that is.

I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Hol. Inn Express, so here is the lowdown on Speedy's condition:

Speedy now listens only to the Orthopod in Vancouver, or wherever that was, who properly diagnosed and surgically repaired his knee this offseason. When the other knee became inflamed a few weeks ago, Speedy went back to him. He told S. that there are only 2 alternatives: rest (and hope) and surgery. Surgery might well end his season. So he is going to try rest, probably for about 6 to 8 weeks, and then gradually try to work himself back. If that doesnt' work, he'll have the surgery and we'll see him next year.

The players said it was obvious Speedy had worked hard this offseason, and he was in great shape and really impressive on the court at the beginning of camp. I personally have no reason to see him as a slacker. He's had a frustrating experience, with big setbacks, a la Mike Hampton (who is really eating up some salary). He's universally vilified for it, unlike Mike. Don't expect him to supply the frenzy with any more fresh meat in the form of current medical information anytime soon.

Great great post. That's the kind of info I'd expect from an investigative journalist.