Time to start looking for Pointguard help

Blunt91

I don't think we have the money to go out and sign a veteran Pg at this point but we could still pick up a undrafted rookie or someone in the NBDL. The preseason for the NBDL starts next Thursday. If I were the Hawks I would be paying close attention to the different PG's in the development league. Yeah I know a NBDL pointguard won't be the savior for this team but they can help.

I remember during the days of the CBA we were able to find "diamonds in the ruff" with players like Mike Wilks & Ira Newble. Both of these guys are still playing in the NBA today. I don't know why the Hawks organization hasn't been able to find a good "role" player in the minor leagues since the introduction of the NBDL. Does the NBDL have inferior talent than what the CBA had? or is it that Mike Wilks & Ira Newble were the exception? I just think we could cut AJ and find someone down in the minors who could help this team even if all he could do was guard the opposing teams quick PG's(something neither Lue or AJ can do).

We gave this one guy a look last year name "Magic" Dorsey, who I think was more of a "And 1" type player. Maybe we should have gave him a try since Anthony Johnson has digressed even from what he was last season. We could have kept that draft pick if we had scouted better.

all we have to do is

1) play LUE wisely. Do not PLAY him against big PGs. He is a liability on defense. Even if he's playing well offensively, his defense will cancel anything he does on offense. Unless the man is on fire and draining shots left and right, he just cant be playing heavy minutes against the bigger PGs.

2) wait for Speedy. I hope he comes back ASAP! I rather have a liability on offense than on defense! We need to see more Claxton/Law and less Lue.

Eddie House isn't a big Pointguard(6'1) and he still had his way with Lue. If you didn't read the post from yesterday Speedy will be out 6 to 8weeks. Hopefully we are still in decent shape by then. Why not see can we find someone to help us?, we are only playing with 2pg's and neither of them have really done much to help out.

Law isn't being allowed to play to his potential because Joe is dominating the ball...we don't really run our offense through our point guards do we?

we're not running enough with him handling the ball...

When Lue is in the game he dominates the ball...

and usually with bad results...and a bad shot...

i think the onus is on Woodson to draw things up and allow someone like Law to set people up and allow him to be successful. We do not have a system in place that is very PG friendly. I mean in this offense even someone like Deron or CP3 would just throw the ball to someone for 1 on 1 because of the way the team is being coached on offense.

I don't think we need outside help...we just need a PG able to function in an offense that is dysfunctional. Law needs to be more aggresive, I saw him pass up a few open shots and then take a few dribbles to try to find someone...but then get swallowed up by the defense. Law just needs to take that shot if he's open. He'll be a good PG. It's too early to say he can't do it. I believe he can do it.

I really think Salim or AJ could fill the role of a 2nd or 3rd PG. How bad could they be? If Woodson trusts Lue to dribble the ball all over the place and then heave up a bad shot... then how much worse could Salim and AJ be?

It seems that Woodson's idea of a point guard is someone that dribbles and dribbles and then takes a bad shot. That needs to stop. Salim could do that (plus he's a little quicker and bigger than Lue). I don't see how much worse than Eddie House Salim is...and he's running the BU point in Boston. I know that someone else usually handles the ball a lot more in the Boston offense, but still... Lue seems to want to dominate the ball like JJ and just play pickup bball instead of team ball.

Quote:

Law isn't being allowed to play to his potential because
Smith
is dominating the ball

corrected

Quote:

Law needs to be more aggresive, I saw him pass up a few open shots and then take a few dribbles to try to find someone...but then get swallowed up by the defense. Law just needs to take that shot if he's open

Exactly. He is a rookie who doesn't want to ruffle feathers and is just trying to fit in. Screw that. He needs to start lighting it up.

• Premium Member

The problem is that there's a paucity of choices. Acquiring Andre Miller gives the Sixers the ability to overpay Smith, and he can't shoot anyway. Bibby is injured. Calderon is an upcoming FA (not worth the price to acquire him), and most of the other good options are either vital backups (Duhon) or on rookie contracts (why not just use Law?).

There's always Seattle - Ridnour or Watson. They'd probably give us Ridnour for Lue+AJ. Unfortunately, his contract length would probably block Law's development.

I think we're stuck for now.

i just hate that JJ is so dead set against running the point. I know we tried that once before, and it didn't work, but players have matured greatly since then. I think in crunch time, like in the Phoenix game, our best team on the floor is JJ/Chillz/JSmoove/Marvin/Horford

• Premium Member

Here's a list of PG I think teams would consider trading:

Expirings:

Jose Calderon ($2.5)

Chris Duhon ($3.2)

Two years:

Andre Miller ($9.6, 10.2) *

Mike Bibby ($13.5, 14.5)

Steve Blake ($4.3, 4.6, 4.9)**

*Miller makes several million less than cap hit b/c of salary bonus at beginning of contract

**Blake's third season is a team option

Three years:

Earl Watson ($5.8, 6.2, 6.6)

Luke Ridnour ($6.5, 6.5, 6.5)

Rafer Alston ($4.6, 4.9, 5.3)

Ideally, you'd want a two-year contract, because Law should be ready for the full-time position by his third season. An expiring contract like Calderon's could be a mistake if they sign elsewhere (it would likely cost the Hawks Childress). A player with a three-year contract like Ridnour could get in the way of Law's development.

I personally would see what Portland wanted for Blake. If it's too much, then I see what Jack or Sergio would cost. Blake can defend a little, distribute, and hit the open shot. Plus, his salary wouldn't kill the Hawks next year.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Here's a list of PG I think teams would consider trading:

Expirings:

Jose Calderon ($2.5)

Chris Duhon ($3.2)

Two years:

Andre Miller ($9.6, 10.2) *

Mike Bibby ($13.5, 14.5)

Steve Blake ($4.3, 4.6, 4.9)**

*Miller makes several million less than cap hit b/c of salary bonus at beginning of contract

**Blake's third season is a team option

Three years:

Earl Watson ($5.8, 6.2, 6.6)

Luke Ridnour ($6.5, 6.5, 6.5)

Rafer Alston ($4.6, 4.9, 5.3)

Ideally, a two-year contract would be best, because Law should be ready for the full-time position by his third season. An expiring contract like Calderon's could be a mistake if they sign elsewhere (it would cost the Hawks Childress). A player like Ridnour with a three-year contract could get in the way of Law's development.

I personally would see what Portland wanted for Blake. If it's too much, then I see what Jack or Sergio would cost.

And when the offense is the same, then what? Will you finally realize that it is not the point guard position that's killing this team?

• Premium Member

Care to elaborate Peoria? I think it's pretty obvious that the weakest spot on the team is the PG spot. Horford has been adequate at center.

I also think it's hard to evaluate Woodson when the team has never had a starting-caliber PG in his tenure.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Care to elaborate Peoria? I think it's pretty obvious that the weakest spot on the team is the PG spot. Horford has been adequate at center.

I also think it's hard to evaluate Woodson when the team has never had a starting-caliber PG in his tenure.

No the weakest part of our team is player movement! The best quarterback in the league cannot complete passes unless the receiver gets open and can catch the ball! Other than Childress, no one else on the team moves without the ball in their hands. The offensive sets are dominate by Smith, Joe, and Lue who don't pass very well. Law has the ability but is not given the opportunity because others won't let him. They simply stand out on the perimeter asking for the ball because most of out players have this 'I can take my man one on one' mentality. That is the problem my friend!

• Premium Member

I have no problem letting Joe run iso's, particularly in the 2nd half; he's a proven NBA scorer. And Woodson has really tried to make his point to Smith about jacking up bad perimeter shots, even pulling him out of the game last night for a while.

The immediate problem is the lack of tempo and distribution from the PG spot. And Law, while he has shown flashes, is NOT ready to be the full-time PG. And no one should expect him to be as a rookie. (We need to remember that about the time he'll get more acclimated, he'll be hitting the rookie wall). It's a mistake to expect him to lead the Hawks to the playoffs.

The problem is that the Hawks' other PG's are oft-injured, undersized, poor passers, atrocious defenders, and/or slow. And it's a significant problem, IMO.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I have no problem letting Joe run iso's, particularly in the 2nd half; he's a proven NBA scorer. And Woodson has really tried to make his point to Smith about jacking up bad perimeter shots, even pulling him out of the game last night for a while.

The immediate problem is the lack of tempo and distribution from the PG spot. And Law, while he has shown flashes, is NOT ready to be the full-time PG. And no one should expect him to be as a rookie. (We need to remember that about the time he'll get more acclimated, he'll be hitting the rookie wall). It's a mistake to expect him to lead the Hawks to the playoffs.

The problem is that the Hawks' other PG's are oft-injured, undersized, poor passers, atrocious defenders, and/or slow. And it's a significant problem, IMO.

The problem is mainly the receivers not the quarterback