• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The positive Babcock thread

Johann

cool.gifDismantling the heart of the franchise to add JR Rider was a reasonable risk to take. Koncak's contract set the tone for the future of the NBA.

Signing that guy (who's name always escapes me) to a huge, cap-crippling contract while watching the guy spend years on injured reserve, was an act of heartwarming charity.

It was a pretty good idea to give Nique a breath of fresh air somewhere else while he still had a little gas in his tank.

And the draft picks! Oh, the draft picks! Who could have been more creative? Who else could have, even blindly, invested 4 first round picks in one draft, and the only one who stuck in the NBA was the one he dumped to another team on draft night?

We were pretty smart to trust the franchise to him for so many years. cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

• Moderators

Quote:

Who else could have, even blindly, invested 4 first round picks in one draft, and the only one who stuck in the NBA was the one he dumped to another team on draft night?

Which year are you talking about?

Quote:

cool.gif

Signing that guy (who's name always escapes me) to a huge, cap-crippling contract while watching the guy spend years on injured reserve, was an act of heartwarming charity.

We were pretty smart to trust the franchise to him for so many years.
cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

Ken Norman's family really really appreciate Mr. Babcock.

Snake wore the most serious suits, Every game. A different one I think.

Positivity Baby Yeah

guitarist.gif

• Moderators

Quote:

Woops! Just looked it up - the other pick was Jason Terry. That one was good. (1999 draft)

That was the year I thought you might be talking about, but wasn't sure if you were including second round picks or something!

Other people are thankful for Babcock's tenure in Atlanta, such as.....

Relatives of Alan Henderson and Chris Crawford

Every NBA team that drafted BEHIND him

Jim Les

Ennis Whatley

John Bagley

Todd Mundt

Snoop Graham

Henri James

Willie Burton

and...

Every mediocre GM in the league. They could pull up Babs' track record, and tell their owners, 'hey, I'm better than him and he's not worried about his job, just give me more time'.

• Premium Member

Pete was the best GM in Hawks history. He did not sign Koncrap to that deal, that was Stan Kasten. I also might add that its hard to draft great talent when his picks were usually late teen to early twenties picks.

He took over a veteran winning team, dismantled it, rebuilt another winning team and dismantled it and while the rebuilding did not work out he did not leave any bad contracts behind. He had a good run here.

Quote:

Pete was the best GM in Hawks history. He did not sign Koncrap to that deal, that was Stan Kasten. I also might add that its hard to draft great talent when his picks were usually late teen to early twenties picks.

He took over a veteran winning team, dismantled it, rebuilt another winning team and dismantled it and while the rebuilding did not work out he did not leave any bad contracts behind. He had a good run here.

Atta boy!

• Premium Member

I thought this was positive day?

The Hawks only title was back in St. Louis with Bob Pettite. As for Pete's record and what he had to do in terms of rebuilding and managing trades and salaries while under the cap I think he did a good job.