• Raised $390 of $700 target

Leave of absence

Guest Walter

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i've had degenerative disc disease for 10 years (i'm 30 years old), and had a microdisectomy on 2 lower discs when i was about 21. i'm do pretty well most days, and i'm reasonably active, and i'm sure the technology has come far enough that you will be fine in no time. best of luck to you!

I've got you on block Walter but I had to unblock you for this post. I hope you have a speedy recovery, back pain is no fun at all and hopefully it will be corrected for you. Good luck in Munich Walt!

Should you or anyone you know need any advice on artificial disk replacement surgery or even "medical tourism", I have done extensive research and would consider myself a rather unfortunate expert. I'll help anyone on this matter (or even Physical Therapy questions). However, I probably won't help or answer your questions until I return.

Again thanks.

W

P.S. One of my early goals is to drive myself to Atlanta and see a Hawks' game. It's been a long time since I could sit long enough to do the drive O-R the game (9 years...no kidding). So, expect a visit Atlanta natives and look out for a cheap hawk ticket sometime around March or April (aren't they all by then?) as this surgery is expensive.

(( Placing Walter on the 15-day disabled list, beside Speedy ))

I have a young female friend who seems to be in the beginning stages of having major back problems. Like you, she was a former multiple sport athlete. She's only 24, but is starting to have major issues with her back.

You do what you need to do to heal up, and then make sure you don't overdo things once you get back.

Prediction for you:

By the time you get back, the Hawks will be the #4 seed in the East. Mark that down.

Northcyde I just noticed where you list your location.

We had lunch in Clarksville last week on the way back from Missouri.

I think we ate at Arby's if I remember right. there's a bunch of places to eat though on that exit.

I'll let you know next time we're rolling through there!

Quote:

Northcyde I just noticed where you list your location.

We had lunch in Clarksville last week on the way back from Missouri.

I think we ate at Arby's if I remember right. there's a bunch of places to eat though on that exit.

I'll let you know next time we're rolling through there!

Exit 4 . . . You have a mall, and a Super WalMart in that area. I work about a mile from Arby's. Ish . . now you got me wanting a Beef and Cheddar sandwich.

Quote:

I am going to Munich, Germany for 2-level artificial disk replacement back surgery at levels L4-5, L5-S1 for 2-level degenerative disk disease. I leave on December 3rd and fly back on December 21st.

I haven't been able to sit for any length of time for years. Former college athlete to regular Joe with a terrible back. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the relief of making my rants against the often failing Hawks' management and coaching while sitting down.

I expect for you guys to have Mike Woodson fired and BK in his hot seat should things not turn around by the time I return.

W

Good luck Walter.

Quote:

Walter,

Did you ever consider the possibility that your cantankerous nature is the CAUSE of your back pain and not the result. Do a search on "Tension Myositis Syndrome" (TMS), and Dr. John Sarno, M.D. from NYU, before it's too late. Best of luck.

Parfait

Had I known I would have cancelled my flight! Who would have known it could be so easy to heal chronic, grade 5 annulus tears in your two lowest intervertebral disks as diagnosed by two discograms? All I needed me was a warm bath, some John Tesh, and a Tarintino girl to relieve my overly developed "tension". Gee thanks for the late update. Could have used that advice 15 years ago before it was uncomfortable to sit in a tub, John Tesh was an entertainment news anchor, and Tarintino hadn't made Pulp Fiction yet.

W

W

Walter,

Obviously my timing is bad in regards to the proximity to your impending procedure. At the very least I would recommend reading about TMS and Dr. Sarno just for medical education purposes. Or even check out the forum tmshelp.com. You see, what many of us are learning is that terms like degenerative disk disease and annular tears really end up being buzzwords given out by us physicians to assign a label to chronic nonspecific back pain.

No matter what, 15 years of debilitating low back pain is a rough go of it. You deserve a break from it. And, I wish you success with the procedure and all other treatments. It's too bad for you that they're only doing the single level replacements in the U.S. currently, but at least you get a nice trip out of it. Good luck.

parfait