• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rich McKay out as Falcons GM

gsuteke

• Premium Member

Quote:

Yikes.

The changes are a coming. I think Parcells has too big an ego to turn down total control of football operations.

We shall soon see!

My day started off on the good foot!

I'm not sold on Parcells. I have a problem with egotistical types in management. I know he and Marty wouldn't get along and I doubt if he and Singletary could co-exist for long either. I'm also not sold on his eye for talent. I hope I'm wrong. I'd REALLY like to see some quality football being played in Atlanta again. This season had to be the WORST in recent Falcons history. frown.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think the team he put together in Dallas is doing fairly decent so far...

That's true. But there's something about his personality that tells me that he doesn't work too well with others. I just wonder if he'll be able to stand back and let the coach do his job, or will he just hire one of his "guys" to coach so he can pull the strings from behind the scenes. I know that he's a football guy, and I like that about him, but I'm still a bit skeptical.

Heard yesterday that Dallas had the most players named to the all pro team. I think most of those guys are his.

He and McKay are complete opposites of each other. Parcells will have no difficulty telling McKay what to do. Don't know if they can co-exist together or not. My hope is that Parcells will mellow some in this role . . . . but he will get the job done.

Article in the paper today:

Parcells 'probably' will accept Falcons job

Former coach would assume position higher than McKay

By STEVE WYCHE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/19/07

Bill Parcells is on the verge of accepting Arthur Blank's offer to take over all football operations for the Atlanta Falcons, the New York Daily News reported on Wednesday.

"I think I probably will do it," Parcells told the Daily News by telephone. "The job description is to be the football operations overseer. We still have a little work to do, but I don't think it's anything major. I don't expect any real deal-breaker. I don't think there will be any major hangups."

Parcells told the newspaper that he will oversee the football operation but he has no plans to return to coaching.

"I'm going to oversee the football operation," Parcells told the Daily News. "I'm going to hire a general manager if the deal is finalized in Atlanta. We are going to hire a coach and talk to all the coaches who are there. It's going to be a collective effort. The triangle is going to be the GM, the coach and Bill Parcells. I'm also going to include Rich McKay if he wants to stay in the business.

"Under no circumstances is Bill Parcells ever going to return to the field.

"I expect to speak to the Falcons today. It might be in person, but it won't be in Atlanta," Parcells said. "We have spoken about what the structure will be. We have some things to talk about. I will say this, I don't think it's anything real major."

Parcells sounded extremely upbeat. His agent was with him in Saratoga, an indication a deal is about to happen. He said Blank is a "nice man, a real nice man."

It is not known what role, if any, Rich McKay will have with the Falcons.

This sounds very upbeat and like he has done everything but sign the bottom line. Liked his word re "We still have a little work to do, but I don't think it's anything major." Interesting comment.

Blank has shown some balls in making this decision.

• Premium Member

Parcells will have a hard time not being the coach...

So he will have to put in one of his guys!!

I think this offseason (or maybe sooner) you will see a merry go round in the coaching world...

Where we get Tom Coughlin from NY.

NY will get Bill Cower..

Coughlin will bring discipline to this team. Parcells will give him the OL and the DL to get back in the hunt immediately.

• Admin

I think it's a fantastic move. He's going to hire a coach and a GM that see things the way he see's things. He's the shaper of the vision now and he'll bring guys in who share that vision.

I'm ready for his personality here. He might not be a guy that anyone he's ever worked with liked, but they all respected the hell out of him. When you look at the list of guys that he broke into coaching, it's pretty much a who's who in the NFL today. His ability to evalute talent in both players and coaches seems pretty darned good.

• Moderators

Quote:

I think it's a fantastic move. He's going to hire a coach and a GM that see things the way he see's things. He's the shaper of the vision now and he'll bring guys in who share that vision.

I'm ready for his personality here. He might not be a guy that anyone he's ever worked with liked, but they all respected the hell out of him. When you look at the list of guys that he broke into coaching, it's pretty much a who's who in the NFL today. His ability to evalute talent in both players and coaches seems pretty darned good.

Agreed. This is great news for a franchise that is in desparate need of stability and vision.

Say goodbye to the Pill Bug.

Say adios to Brooking(s), just when Atlanta natives were learning how to pronounce his name.

Say Hasta Luego Chris Redman. Good luck in the insurance business again.

Say Buenos Noches to Wayne Gandy. A year too late but welcomed all the same.

I know I'm leaving out about 15 names but I've got a game thread to do!

P.S. Kiss my @ss Brian Van Gorder! Get the F*ck away from my football team!

ff5b089c.gif

Quote:

Say goodbye to the Pill Bug.

Say adios to Brooking(s), just when Atlanta natives were learning how to pronounce his name.

Say Hasta Luego Chris Redman. Good luck in the insurance business again.

Say Buenos Noches to Wayne Gandy. A year too late but welcomed all the same.

I know I'm leaving out about 15 names but I've got a game thread to do!

P.S. Kiss my @ss Brian Van Gorder! Get the F*ck away from my football team!

ff5b089c.gif

Atleast BVG is gone!

LOL