• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our Second round Pick Should be....

Diesel

• Premium Member

Richard Jeter.

http://nbadraft.net/justaminute26.htm

http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/grizzlies/article/0,1426,MCA_475_1998738,00.html

This kid is amazing. 6'6" PG from Atlanta. He has explosive ability, an NBA body and just may be able to handle the PG position. I figure with our late Second, we can take a chance on this guy!

I actually remember watching this guy play for the Cowboys two years ago when the Cowboys had their NCAA tourney run (didn't they beat DD's Gonzaga team?) He was a physical stud. The comparisons to Oakley and B. Wallace are very interesting. This guy is also a good student. When he is an older player (24 years I think) he would be a nice 2nd round pick b/c he is strong enough to play some physical 5 in the 5 challenged EC. He is a good defender and we need all the good defenders we can get. He plays a more physical style as opposed to our current 4/5 players. He might help have depth to move Nazr or Hendu and then develop into a very solid contributor.

Living and practicing in ATL should give the Hawks a jump on this kid. If he goes undrafted he would be an excellent non-drafted invitee to play on the summer league team to see what he can do.

If Reef plays at the same basketball complex as Jeter the Hawks must know of the kid. I would like to know Reef's impression of the kid if they have ever scrimmaged together.

NBAdraft.net has Badiane going to ATL at # 37. Not that this means anything.

I just have never heard of the kid. He is from Senegal, Africa. NBAdraft.net uses the phrase "best athlete out there" to describe the kid (19 yr old, 6'11'', 220 lbs). They go on to say he will be the next center out of Senegal. He cannot play college ball b/c he signed a contract with a team in Germany.

Who else came from Senegal ? Minute Bol ? Hakeem Olujuwan ?

Samaki ? (the 7' back-up C the Lakers had for a while, not Samaki Walker 6'10'' guy Lakers got from Spurs)_

Just wondering if anyone know anything about the kid ?

Has he worked out or been invited to workout with other NBA teams?

Is he at the Chicago Pre-Draft Camp?

He also sounds like diamond in the rough like Jeter does.

Of course Dante Jones and Josh Howard would be proven picks at #37 but may be off the board by then.

with our 2nd rounder... cuz why?

-HES A HIDDEN SECRET, nobody knows him.

I think its very possible that he goes undrafted and we can call him up and get him a hawks uniform for the summer games. If he does get drafted in the 2nd round, theres a good chance that 2nd rounders arent with the team that year...

either way, its not a big risk

• Premium Member

Well, I don't know... that's risky.

He was tried out by Memphis.... They said a whole lot of stuff but the main thing that caught my eye is that they said that he had an NBA Body and that he kept up with Jarvis Hayes and Blackshear. Though Hayes was the better of the three.

Fortunately, Memphis doesn't have a second rounder to use which makes me believe that West just may trade down out of the first round (#27) for a trade of players and a second rounder.

We still don't know how the Chicago trade will work. I'm guessing:

Persons/Battier/#13/#27 to Chicago for Fizer/Robinson/#7/#36.

Luke Walton would be a great second round pick-up. He will never be a great player but he is the type of player who helps a team win. He is a good shooter and great passer, with decent size for the small forward position. Only downside really is whether he is athletic enough to guard people - but he can't be worse then Glenn!

• Premium Member

Unless everyone with Potential is gone, I say No to Walton.

By the time the 42 pick comes around... Most skilled players might be gone... However, there are some undeveloped players that might be available....

Villineauva comes to mind. Sure he's right out of HS. Sure he lacks a lot of fundamentals but he's 6'10 and very athletic.

Jeter. 6'6 and a could be PG is a great thing to obtain.

Daniels out of Auburn? Guy has skills.

Outlaw. Ok, he's listed for 1st round, but may drop into the second.

The point is that there is a lot more potential than Walton. I don't think he's going to be a contributor on this level.

• Premium Member

My hope is that we can get someone who can shoot. Howard is a good athlete... ACC player of the year. I think he is getting dissed hard but I think he'd have to show that he can shoot from outside.

Who qualifies for a guaranteed contract? Does every

player drafted in the first round have his contract

guaranteed, once he is signed by the team that drafted

him?

How long must a first round player be kept by the team

that signs him? Can he be traded that season?

If a team drafts a player, I believe they can trade him to

another team before he signs a contract.

Second round players don't have to be signed to a guaranteed

contract, do they? They just sign a "Make good"

contract, meaning, if you are good enough and make the

team, we will pay you but if you don't make it, you're

outta here and no more money.

First round picks, once signed, recieve a three year deal with a team option for the forth year. The salary and subsequent salary increases (12 % I believe, each year) are based solely upon their draft position.

Second round picks and guys in camp can be signed to any contract, including non-guaranteed contracts. It's up to the team, but realize that Bird rights are not garnered until year three...aka the Warriors problem with Arenas is that he's only been there two years, thus he's an unrFA.

1st round picks can be traded prior to their being signed. I believe that once signed, they cannot be traded for three(?) months of the signing date, just like signed FAs.

I still think Walton can help a team win. He won't be a superstar, but 90%+ of second round draft picks never make it in the NBA, regardless of potential. Knowing how to play the game has become a very underated skill in recent years, which is one explanation for the success and popularity of foreign players - they know how to play the game.