• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Anybody got that Chad Ford chat from yesterday?

TheDude

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Tyger, Atlanta: Are you going to lick Billy Knights boots when the Hawks make the playoffs?

Chad Ford: Ummm . ... no. It only took them 8 years and a horde of high lottery picks. Had they drafted Chris Paul, they would've been there two years earlier. Ditto had they drafted Luol Deng or Andre Iguodala over Josh Childress. And let's not even get started with Shelden Williams. At some point, with enough high draft picks ... you'll back into the playoffs one way or the other. I"m not sure Billy Knight should get a ton of credit for the league's longest playoff drought.

This is why ESPN and especially Chad Ford are jokes.

• Premium Member

Quote:

While it is a CYA moment.

Some of what he's saying is true. Not to disrespect anybody but we have picked from the second shelf a couple of times and missed out on top shelf talent.

I agree with you in your sentiment (I believe it's your sentiment) that no team totally rebuilds their team and are right back in the midst of it. Some things take time.

The other thing that needs saying is this:

I keep hearing references to Deng and Iguodala... I think that's totally absurd. Reason being is that Deng and Smoove are in essence the same type player. Not the exact same.. but there would have been a log jam trying to play both during their first two years. Moreover, I don't think the whole story is told on Iguodala vs. Chillz. If they flip flopped circumstances, I don't know if Chillz wouldn't be better. Too many times, people judge stats without paying attention to fit. More worthy of a hindsight conversation is us drafting Chillz over Jefferson. Now, you're talking.. However, iot's a hindsight conversation because the question must be asked... WHO would have done that then??

We wasn't sure if we could get Smoove when we got him.

We take Jefferson (Early)...

We would have been hoping for J.R. Smith with our late pick. Also, for some reason, I remember Jefferson not get good reviews on his workouts.

It's just childish, "I know more than anyone" nonsense. There's not even an attempt to actually analyze the basketball being played (of course, it's highly doubtful Ford has watched the Hawks play one minute of basketball this year). He insults the team's play, saying we're "backing into the playoffs" (wtf?), instead of making even the tiniest concession that maybe the length and athleticism of the players Knight drafted is helping us win games. Not to mention Knight hasn't been GM here for 8 years.

• Premium Member

I'm just saying that a good PG speeds up the development of players. Moreover, when you replace Kenny Anderson with Chris Paul, good things will happen.

Moreover...

The team would have been:

Paul, JJ, Smoove, Al, and Zaza.

It's not an allstar team by no means, but when you consider we wasted so much time with Lue playing PG.... dribbling the clock down and then either heeving a shot or passing it to somebody at the last minute, it makes you realize how much better we could have been. I say a 37-41 win team.

Quote:

Quote:

Tyger, Atlanta: Are you going to lick Billy Knights boots when the Hawks make the playoffs?

Chad Ford: Ummm . ... no. It only took them 8 years and a horde of high lottery picks. Had they drafted Chris Paul, they would've been there two years earlier. Ditto had they drafted Luol Deng or Andre Iguodala over Josh Childress. And let's not even get started with Shelden Williams. At some point, with enough high draft picks ... you'll back into the playoffs one way or the other. I"m not sure Billy Knight should get a ton of credit for the league's longest playoff drought.

I'm not the biggest Billy Knight fan... But that guy is stupid as hell. Billy hasn't been with the team the entire drought. Damn, that mother f***er must have Down's syndrome or something. Total retard.

• Premium Member

Well, I think you have to look at the circumstances that Paul has been in.

First off, they are in the West.

Secondly..

IN the last three years.

His first year (38 wins)... David West was his top scorer... Speedy Claxton was the 3rd leading scorer. His team was just not good enough to be a playioff team.

His second year (39 wins)... David West missed 30 games. Peja Missed 69 games. Paul himself missed 18 games. They missed the playoffs by 3 games.

This year. (16 wins, 4th in the West)...

Now before we start talking about Paul... Let's remember... Before Paul hit the seen, David West was a nobody. Paul just didn't have the players to compete and when he finally got the players, his team was injured. Right now, they are a very strong team in the West. Headed toward the playoffs..

For people to continue the argument that he hasn't taken his team to the playoffs... It's obvious that they haven't check ed the circumstances!

I don't think at this point in their careers anyone is questioning whether Paul is the more accomplished pro and would've been a better fit for the team. But there are too many ifs involved here. If we had drafed Paul, would Knight have pursued Joe as strongly as he did? Considering he originally brought him in to play point with Smith, Marvin and Chill on the court at the same time, I don't think that's a given.

The fact is if every GM made the right move and the right pick at the right time, every team in the league would be the Spurs.

Quote:

For people to continue the argument that he hasn't taken his team to the playoffs... It's obvious that they haven't check ed the circumstances!

Our circumstances two years ago weren't exactly stellar. We had the worst interior D in the league and I doubt Paul would have had much effect there.

Quote:

Paul took the same New Orleans team that won 18 games in 05 to 38 wins in 06. I would think a team with Paul and Joe Johnson would win more than 38 especially how weak the East was at the time.

That NOK team won with their defense. they were very strong on D and sucked on offense even with Paul.

• Premium Member

Sometimes defense is not the end all and be all.

For a team like ours, if the offense improved 10 fold, we'd make the playoffs without one major improvement in defense. I remember those Sacramento Kings teams that played and had the worse defenses. However, they could win and be competitive against good teams because their offense was working on every cylinder.

We put a lot of emphasis on defense around here because we believe that defense is the way to a championship? However, Last year when Detroit failed to beat Cleveland. It wasn't Cleveland's defense that took them past Detroit? And Detroit's great defense is not what made them lose that game. They lost the game because they shot

You can have all the defense in the world. Without consistent offensive production, you will lose. Basketball is not about playing the best defense. Basketball is about outscoring your opponent. While there are several ways to do this, the key word is outscoring.

Quote:

Sometimes defense is not the end all and be all.

In your view defense has never been important. You thought we could win that season by shooting 50% from 3 consistently. Doesn't work like that.

Quote:

For a team like ours, if the offense improved 10 fold

True. If we scored 900 ppg we would probably have made the playoffs.

Quote:

It wasn't Cleveland's defense that took them past Detroit
? And Detroit's great defense is not what made them lose that game.
They lost the game because they shot

Reading is fundamental.