• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What do you attribute the Hawks record to

pound4pound

Quote:

Quote:

hat's like saying if Jordan Farmar started averaging 16 and 8 assists and the Lakers went on a big winning streak, does that mean that Farmar is more important than Kobe?

The question was not who is the more important? or who is the best player?

The question is what is responsible for the latest winning streak?

If the Lakers lose every game but Kobe averages 43 ppg... and then all the sudden, Jordan Farmar starts playing averaging 16 and 8 assists and the Lakers go in a big winning streak (with Kobe still averaging 43 ppg)... That doesn't mean that Jordan is more important than Kobe... I agree... Just like no player is more important than JJ. However is does mean that the thing that is most responsible for the streak is the play of Jordan Farmar...

I think many of the Squawkers missed the question.

Here's the litmus test.

You take AJ out of those games and put in Salim or Lue.. Do we still win? I don't think so.

Moreover you let JSmoove play sporadically like he did before.. Do we still win? I don't think so.

Now, when you consider Marvin and JJ.. I would say that they were pretty consistent throughout. Moreover, Al Horford is just as much a post presence as he was in weeks 1 and 2. However, the thing that has changed about the Hawks has definitely been our PG play and our confidence.

I didn't think the question was clear enough for the options given. I read it as "what is different this season from last season" - and to that I answer AJ and Marvin.

But I can understand why it would be read "what is different in the recent games from the first games of the season", which would be AJ and Smith, possibly the Woodson answer too.

But thinking about it more in depth I think I'd read it as "what is the single biggest factor in our current good play", and that answer HAS to be JJ. Even though he's been off in several games, he's still our MVP by a pretty wide margin, with Smith and Marvin 2nd and 3rd biggest factors in no order, and AJ and Al close behind them at 4 and 5 on the team.

Woodson's influence is anyone's guess. Some would say it's obvious that he's the biggest factor while someone else could just as easily argue that we're winning "in spite of" Woodson, instead of "because of".

I lean towards "in spite of" but I'm trying to be an optomist that his coaching has helped the team turn the corner.

Regarding Woody, I'm still of the opinion that we're winning "in spite of" his coaching because, if nothing else, I like the idea that there is still a way that our current personnel can do much, much better (and win a ring!)

Quote:

Quote:

hat's like saying if Jordan Farmar started averaging 16 and 8 assists and the Lakers went on a big winning streak, does that mean that Farmar is more important than Kobe?

The question was not who is the more important? or who is the best player?

The question is what is responsible for the latest winning streak?

If the Lakers lose every game but Kobe averages 43 ppg... and then all the sudden, Jordan Farmar starts playing averaging 16 and 8 assists and the Lakers go in a big winning streak (with Kobe still averaging 43 ppg)... That doesn't mean that Jordan is more important than Kobe... I agree... Just like no player is more important than JJ. However is does mean that the thing that is most responsible for the streak is the play of Jordan Farmar...

I think many of the Squawkers missed the question.

Here's the litmus test.

You take AJ out of those games and put in Salim or Lue.. Do we still win? I don't think so.

Moreover you let JSmoove play sporadically like he did before.. Do we still win? I don't think so.

Now, when you consider Marvin and JJ.. I would say that they were pretty consistent throughout. Moreover, Al Horford is just as much a post presence as he was in weeks 1 and 2. However, the thing that has changed about the Hawks has definitely been our PG play and our confidence.

I don't know, the way he asked the question, it could be interpreted in a variety of ways. His question was "What do you attribute the Hawks record too", in which case I would say JJ and Smith/Marvin because they are our most important players. Regardless, if AJ was still playing great, we wouldn't win without those other three guys' production.

However, like you said, if you interpreted as "Who is responsible for our latest winning streak" then AJ would probably be the best option. The question wasn't clearly stated IMO.

• Premium Member

Yeah..

The question is not clear....and if you ask from this season to last season... then you have to have some place to add in INjuries. Last year we were the most injured team playing... This year, we have more continuity. If that we're the question, I would say Horford's post presence, Marvin's improvement, and AJ's PG play... probably in that order. Like 34%, 33%, and 32%.

With just one of those things, this wouldn't be the best Hawks team in the last decade.

It's the combo of

1)Anthony Johnson playing out of his mind

2)Al Horford showing everyone why he was the most NBA ready player

3)Joe Johnson silencing the critics and looking like JJ again

4)Marvin finally finding his heart

5)Smoove playing within himself

Giving Marvin and Horford praise....wow!! How things have changed in this forum.

Winning changes a lot of attitudes about players around this forum. You wanted to trade Marvin every other post and didn't even want to draft Horford at all. You wanted Yi and thought Horford was a big big mistake.

My how things have changed around here.

Lets go Hawks!!

Speaking of Yi, he had a 29 point game the other night. I guess he will be Detlef Schremph after all in a few years. But the Bucks couldn't even defend the Phoenix Mercury, if they played them though. Michael Redd is pissed these days because of that. He'll be the next guy "crying" for help.

As for this subject, the 2 choices for me have to be Horford and Smith, if I couldn't choose 'all of the above'. They're the defensive anchor of the team. Without either of those guys, we might not survive November and the confidence might be shot going into December. Smith's numbers in wins and losses are extremely telling.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Giving Marvin and Horford praise....wow!! How things have changed in this forum.

Winning changes a lot of attitudes about players around this forum. You wanted to trade Marvin every other post and didn't even want to draft Horford at all. You wanted Yi and thought Horford was a big big mistake.

My how things have changed around here.

Lets go Hawks!!

I just didn't think Horf had the offensive potential that Yi has.. actually, I stil don't. However, Horf was more ready to make an impact right now. His rebounding is great. While Yi too can rebound and he has greater potential, I'm glad we took Horf. He's such a good guy and I hope he can sneak out ROY...

My idea in writing the question was what factors do you attribute the overall record to. I am man enough to say that I wanted us to make some drastic changes to this roster in the off season becuase I didn't see us competing like this.

I wanted Gasol to take pressure off Joe with a second option and add an inside presence

I chose Marvin and Horford as the reasons for our turn around.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I chose Marvin and Horford as the reasons for our turn around.

Marvin & Horford are averaging the same ppg and rpg now as they were when we were losing! But the obvious difference is the overall team defense which looks a whole lot better now. The biggest differences on offense are ball movement and Josh Smith not taking 15 bad shots per game.

• Premium Member

If you're asking the question like that, then you are basically comparing this year to last year. IF that be the case, I think the major difference is

1. Lack of injuries.

2. Horf

3. Marvin's progression.

Somehow I want to believe that Smoove took better shots last year. Moreover, I'm sure that AJ is playing much better now, but without the lack of injuries, it doesn't mean that much.

• Admin

if we're handing out credit for how we've played so far, you can't be honest about it unless you include all those things.

AJ has stepped up, but other players have stepped up when he wasn't giving us much. Horford has been key in the paint and on the boards and his scoring helps. Marvin is a big part of it, as his consistency this year is important. Josh Smith, when he plays under control, is a nightmare to cover. JJ Is doing what he's always done for us. Everyone is playing their roles and we're finally see that there might actually be a method to Woodsons madness. I don't think it has anything to do with players buying in to what he wanted, I think they've always done that. We're just getting the level of play needed from our guys for what he wanted to do to even matter, on both sides of the ball.

• Premium Member

Quote:

If you're asking the question like that, then you are basically comparing this year to last year. IF that be the case, I think the major difference is

I didn't know that we were comparing this year to last year. I thought that we were comparing December's results to November's results!