• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC: Blank's choices

DrReality

For what it is worth:

Owner Blank is 0-for-2 in making big hire in the post Petrino/McKay era

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/23/07

When he sits back to reflect on how to get the franchise turned around, Blank will arrive at the conclusion that a sturdy foundation must be put in place first.

Petrino's resignation, the stripping of Rich McKay's duties and Michael Vick's incarceration have gutted the franchise.

RELATED STORIES

Falcons' keys to victory vs. Cardinals

Andersen says turbulent year 'has been unprecedented'

Hall repeats: He's done with losing team

• More Falcons

The Falcons clearly need more than just a fresh coat of paint.

"New England has given him the blueprint," said CBS analyst Shannon Sharpe. "Scott Pioli and Bill Belichick work extremely well together. Look at Mr. [Robert] Kraft, he's out of the way."

Sharpe is advocating that the Falcons fix the football operation. Forget all of the bells and whistles and big-name hires. Get a strong personnel guy and get an NFL football coach.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are also considered a model franchise.

"They've had three coaches in 39 years," Sharpe said. "Chuck Noll struggled. They stayed with him. Bill Cowher struggled. They stayed with him. They didn't blink."

Here's a look at some of the front office and coaching candidates who could help Blank turn around the Falcons.

FRONT OFFICE CANDIDATES

• Charlie Casserly: Looking pretty good after advising the Houston Texans to take Mario Williams over hometown favorite Vince Young and Reggie Bush.

• Floyd Reese: Spent 13 seasons as Tennessee's general manager. Nearly half of his draft picks (75) from 1999 to 2006 made the roster. Picked three rookies of the year in Eddie George, Jevon Kearse and Vince Young.

• Reggie McKenzie: Green Bay's director of pro personnel. Was a finalist in Houston and Tennessee for recent GM openings. Played at Tennessee and seven years in NFL. Has been with the Packers for 13 years and a director for last 10 years.

• Jeff Ireland: Dallas's vice president of college and pro scouting. Keen talent evaluator, who's help to rebuild the Cowboys. Was formerly their national scout.

• Scott Pioli: New England's vice president of player personnel. Started his career with Bill Belichick in 1992 with Cleveland. Three-time NFL executive of the year.

• Tom Heckert Jr.: Philadelphia's general manager. Grew up in the talent evaluation business and helped put together the Eagles' Super Bowl team.

• Scot McCloughan: San Francisco's vice president of player personnel. Has been with Green Bay and Seattle. Learned how to evaluate while working under Ron Wolf in Green Bay.

COACHING CANDIDATES

• Mike Singletary: San Francisco's assistant head coach. If the Falcons could land Scot McCloughan as GM, maybe Singletary would come in a package deal. He'd have instant respect in the locker room, but would need strong offensive coaches and quality control staff.

• Russ Grimm: Arizona's assistant head coach. The former 19-year player would instill toughness immediately. Was a member of the Hogs, the Washington Redskins line that powered to four Super Bowls berths, three titles. Twice a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

• Jason Garrett: Dallas' offensive coordinator. Has worked wonders blending the passing of Tony Romo with the runs of Marion Barber III and Julius Jones. Might want to stay put and take over for Wade Phillips in Dallas some day.

• Todd Haley: Arizona's offensive coordinator. "He wants what everybody else wants, he wants to win," Arizona wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald said. "He wants us to perform at the high level. That's what we want. So if we mess up we deserved to be chewed out. He's not going to let anything slide."

• Mike Zimmer: Atlanta's defensive coordinator. Has kept the defense attacking while the offense has struggled to score points and move the ball. Prefers the 4-3 and would allow the team to maintain a level of continuity.

McKenzie and Pioli look to be interesting choices. Wonder where/who Blank is getting his advice from since the GM is no longer the golden boy????

• Premium Member

Jeff Ireland: Dallas's vice president of college and pro scouting. Keen talent evaluator, who's help to rebuild the Cowboys. Was formerly their national scout.

• Scott Pioli: New England's vice president of player personnel. Started his career with Bill Belichick in 1992 with Cleveland. Three-time NFL executive of the year.

First off.

Ireland will probably be Miami's GM.

Second.

Pioli will not be let out of his contract by the league.

Of those listed Reese Sounds interesting. In the coaching area, Marty hasn't been contacted yet, but I think he's on the speed dial.

I think he's the guy the Falcons need to think long and hard about hiring as the GM. He's been with the Green Bay Packers for a long time now and has worked with Ron Wolf in the past. I believe that Wolf is probably the best general manager of this era.

Based on the fact that McKenzie has cut his teeth in the NFL while working for Wolf and one of Wolf's proteges in Ted Thompson, he would put an emphasis on the areas the Falcons need the most help at. Ron Wolf has always believe that you take the big guys first, and if Atlanta would put an emphasis on drafting offensive and defensive linemen high, then I think they will be better in the long run.

I also think that McKenzie is a guy who will make the most out of your current draft pick, which is currently 4th in the draft. Everyone has the Falcons taking a quarterback with that pick, but the fact is that none of the quarterbacks in this draft should go that high.

Matt Ryan throws too many interceptions. Andre Woodson has a slow release that is drawing comparisons to Byron Leftwich. Brian Brohm has durability issues.

If I'm Atlanta, I'm taking a long look at one of the defensive linemen or offensive linemen that will be available there instead of the quarterbacks. Atlanta should be looking at:

Glenn Dorsey, DT, 6'2", 316 lbs, LSU

Chris Long, DE, 6'4", 275 lbs, Virginia

Vernon Gholston, DE, 6'4", 258 lbs, Ohio State

Ryan Clady, OT, 6'6", 317 lbs, Boise State

Jeff Otah, OT, 6'7", 340 lbs, Pittsburgh

I'd wait on the quarterback. I'd wait and see if I could get a guy like Joe Flacco from Delaware in the 3rd round.

Quote:

Andre Woodson has a slow release that is drawing comparisons to Byron Leftwich.

Actually, he's a carbon copy of Donovan McNabb. I agree, the Falcons should not be looking at any of these qb's. Though, I do think Ryan will be pretty good if in the right situation. Defense and the line are the way to go. None of these guys are franchise types. So trade down possibly.

I disagree on Woodson. Woodson isn't the runner that McNabb is, and Woodson is a more accurate passer than McNabb. The thing with Woodson is that slow release of his. I was telling people back when Leftwich was drafted that his release would kill him in the NFL if he didn't shorten it.

I wasn't comparing him as a player. I was just stating an obvious similarity in their throwing mechanics. About the same size, too. Aesthetically, they look the same to me. I don't think Woodson will pan out for a variety of reasons.

Quote:

Woodson is a more accurate passer than McNabb.

I don't think you can fairly say that at this point. Donovan has proven to be a failry accurate thrower.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Why is Bill Cowher not on the list of coaching candidates??

I heard on the radio that we talked with Cowher and he turned us down.

I think Cowher's going to NY to coach the Giants.

We should give Coughlin a look if we don't get Marty!