• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Commitment to Defense and Rebounding

KB21

That's the key.

The Hawks have played 12 games in December and are 9-3 in those games. They have given up an average of 93.5 PPG in those games. Tonight, the Hawks outrebounded the Pacers 48 to 37. They held the Pacers to 41% from the field and 32% from the arc.

Offensively, the Hawks were efficient, shooting 45% from the field and shooting 30 free throws.

The key is and always will be the defense though. As Mike Woodson has said all along, this team will turn it around when they commit to playing defense. Well, they have made that commitment, and it has gotten to the point that they enjoy playing defense.

As they continue to mature, I think you will see the Hawks use their defense to create running opportunities offensively.

Well oftentimes the "running opportunities" turn into turnovers - but I agree with you that the increased defensive intensity and solid rebounding are key. As much as many hoot on Shelden - I rememnber a play where he flat blocked two guys away from the basket while JC took down the easy rebound. Coaches (should) see this on film. Horford is a great rebounder with great hands as is Marvin to a little bit lesser degree. They don't pile up the stats because when JS is in there he just jumps over everybody and gets the rebound. munching_out.gif

The Hawks still have defensive breakdowns when they get sizable leads. They did so with Indy tonight and gave Indy some open three's in the 4th when they should have totally nailed the game down and turned this game into a blowout.

Woodson should limit Childress and ZaZa's 4th period minutes. They're the biggest weak links on the defensive side of the ball. I'm totally uneasy when Childress is guarding quick players late in the game.

Well, basketball more so than any other sport, is a game of runs. Teams are going to make runs in an attempt to get back into the game. Not every team out there is like the New York Knicks who give up at the face of adversity.

Plus, this team is still a young team. They are buying into the philosophy of playing defense, but they are also still maturing. At some point, they will develop that killer instinct they need to completely bury teams with their defensive intensity.

This team is in a state of mind right now that I think they may actually develop that killer instinct before the year is over. These guys are tasting wins, and they are hungry for more. They didn't even take yesterday off. On their own volition, the Hawks players practiced late last night just to get on the floor. They are hungry!!

Quote:

The Hawks still have defensive breakdowns when they get sizable leads. They did so with Indy tonight and gave Indy some open three's in the 4th when they should have totally nailed the game down and turned this game into a blowout.

Woodson should limit Childress and ZaZa's 4th period minutes. They're the biggest weak links on the defensive side of the ball. I'm totally uneasy when Childress is guarding quick players late in the game.

So now we are winning, but not by enough?

Quote:

Quote:

So now we are winning, but not by enough?

I'm saying if they didn't let up and allow the other team back into the game the guys wouldn't have to play 42MPG because the team would have blowouts.

Quote:

Well, basketball more so than any other sport, is a game of runs. Teams are going to make runs in an attempt to get back into the game. Not every team out there is like the New York Knicks who give up at the face of adversity.

Plus, this team is still a young team. They are buying into the philosophy of playing defense, but they are also still maturing. At some point, they will develop that killer instinct they need to completely bury teams with their defensive intensity.

This team is in a state of mind right now that I think they may actually develop that killer instinct before the year is over. These guys are tasting wins, and they are hungry for more. They didn't even take yesterday off. On their own volition, the Hawks players practiced late last night just to get on the floor. They are hungry!!

That's somewhat true. But teams don't have the killer instinct of a team like the Pats. The Hawks should have stepped on Indy's throat tonight and got JJ some much needed rest at the end of the game.

You can allow Tinsley to some open shots, but you can't allow Troy Murphy and Mike D open 3's in the 4th.

Quote:

chill broke up a ton of plays today!

he got a few steals and then knocked several away from the player, even if those did go out of bounds or to an opponent...breaking up the play like that ruins their momentum and lessens their chance of scoring

Quote:

...Woodson should limit Childress and ZaZa's 4th period minutes. They're the biggest weak links on the defensive side of the ball. I'm totally uneasy when Childress is guarding quick players late in the game.

You got that dead right Hot...Chillz was blown by a bunch. He cannot play D on a quick PG at all...realistically...not even a quick 2.

It is what it is.

I really like Chillz but you can't play him out of position and hope.

Quote:

Quote:

chill broke up a ton of plays today!

he got a few steals and then knocked several away from the player, even if those did go out of bounds or to an opponent...breaking up the play like that ruins their momentum and lessens their chance of scoring

Childress is going to make some plays. He not a bum. I would say he is one of the best 6th man in the league. But his slowness on defense hurts the team at the end of the game. Making a play here and there don't make you a good defensive player.

Quote:

a) it was consistently breaking up plays

like 8 plays in a 10 minute span!

b) we give up 5 more points/100poss when he's off the court

c) he holds his sg/sf opps to 10 and 13 per

Well, it's not about this game or that game. It's about night in and night out. I don't know where you're getting your stats from, but I find that hard to believe. ESP when the teams record has actually been better when Childress does not play.

....I also noticed that Mike didn't want this to be about him. He stated that this winning isn't about him. It's about the players in that locker room.

I think it is a very admirable quality in a coach to be selfless and give the credit to his team.

Mike could have just as easily said that the team is winning because they have bought into what he was teaching, but he didn't do that.

I really like Mike Woodson, and I hope he gets a nice contract extension in the offseason along with Billy Knight.

Quote:

a) it was consistently breaking up plays

like 8 plays in a 10 minute span!

b) we give up 5 more points/100poss when he's off the court

c) he holds his sg/sf opps to 10 and 13 per

Well if Chillz had a high release point jumper that scored as well as Marvin's there would be no arguement here...but he doesn't....end of story. detective.gif