• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who will make the first move in the East?

TheNorthCydeRises

I think a lot of these GMs, especially in the East, are afraid to make the WRONG move via a trade. They're trying to make the perfect deal, and hope their team can at least hold their position until they decide what to do. Of course, some teams may have the urge to make a deal more than others.

Detroit or Orlando are probably on the verge of adding Webber, to shore up the 5 spot.

Boston may add one more shooter to bring off the bench ( rumored to possibly be Damon Stoudamire if Memphis buys him out ).

Toronto and Washington are basically waiting on their injured PGs to come back, and give them a shot in the arm for the 2nd half of the season.

And Cleveland looks to be clicking on all cylinders now, even though they might make a deal for a PG . . but no one wants Larry Hughes.

I think those teams are kind of waiting to see what the other does, so that they can counter that move. Those six teams may believe that they have enough pieces to win the East, or at least get past the 1st round. Which leaves us, and the rest of the East.

It's pretty obvious as we approach the halfway point in the season, that the rest of the East may have to do something in order to get those final 2 spots, or possibly move up into the top 6. But those teams are very leery of giving up young developing talent for a veteran, to possibly get into the playoffs, but only to lose to the more powerful East teams in the 1st round. So they have to make a decision: is making the playoffs the goal, or is making NOISE in the playoffs the goal? Miami, Milwaukee, and New York are teams that might be done . . although Milwaukee is still in striking distance.

New Jersey - Just making the playoffs isn't their goal, they want to make noise because their window is rapidly closing. They're on the verge of a breakdown, because while they legitimately have 3 all-star players, they are easily the most schizophrenic team in the NBA. It literally drives that fan base and the NY media crazy. The Vince Carter for Jermaine O'Neal trade talk, could've been the spark that forced everybody to do something. But with Jermaine talking about sitting out the entire season, that talk is rapidly dying down.

Chicago - While Gasol didn't look spectacular, the Bulls looked like complete crap today. But while we talk about getting Gasol, Chicago has a very real chance of getting him. Like Jersey, they're probably not just content to make the playoffs, especially not after their showing last year. But when you get throttled by the Grizzlies, the pressure may be greater than ever to make a significant move just to get into a playoff push.

Indiana - They beat Philly today, but the news of O'Neal possibly sitting out a long time, forces a lot of people to step up and compensate for his loss. Now, more than ever, they may fully commit to the uptempo game. Any trade they do, may reflect that. Problem now, is that the one guy that could get them a significant player, is hurt. If they trade one of the other guys, it may hurt them more than help them. They would welcome just a trip to the playoffs, regardless of how they do.

Philly - They're a team that has to make a big decision: Do they make a playoff push and trade for a player now, ( other than a crap player like Giricek ), or do they wait till next year to make their move? They have a few very desireable pieces to deal, in exchange for expiring contracts, that could make them a major player in free agency this summer. As for this year, they're still undecided.

Charlotte - They're the one team that has made a small deal, that has seemed to make them a better team. With Nazr, the Cats can move Okafor to PF. This all of a sudden gives the Bobcats one of the more tougher and athletic frontlines in the East, with Nazr, Okafor, and Wallace. Charlotte has been playing top level teams recently, so the true impact of this move can't be judged yet. But if you see Charlotte start to consistently beat bad and mediocre teams in the East, they will have to be watched closely. Just making the playoffs would be huge. If J-Rich starts to light it up offensively, they become a dangerous team the 2nd half of the season.

Atlanta - They have expiring contracts and nice young talent across the board. The perfect assets you need to make a move. But they're either scared not to make another mistake ( Speedy ), or are under orders to do nothing. If the teams below the Hawks are also scared to give up somebody, the Hawks may be OK and still get in the playoffs. But if somebody does trade for somebody, this may force our hand. What we can't do, is let one of those teams get a player that can help us, but help them overtake us. The trade has to make sense chemistry-wise and financial-wise. The goal for us is to just get in the playoff dance.

The East is like a restrictor plate NASCAR race at Daytona, where everybody just follows everybody, trying not to make a mistake. Then, somebody will do something interesting, like stay out on the track during a caution while everybody is pitting for gas and/or tires, to improve their track position. It's a risky move, but a necessary one, if you want to be in position to win the race or finish in the top 5.

I think the Hawks are perfectly content in just sneaking into the playoffs, without doing anything drastic to shake up the roster. It's going to take someone else making a move, or Charlotte catching us, to force their hand.

Indy's situation is very intreresting because they're now offically 8th in the East now.

I would agree with you that they may try to move Tinsley, if O'Neal was healthy. The first time we played them, we beat them partially because Tinsley shot the ball like crap. The 2nd meeting a few weeks ago, Tinsley was hurt. But they beat us because of the great shooting outside by their wings, and the excellent play of O'Neal inside. Without O'Neal inside, they may need Tinsley more than ever.

Another characteristic of the East, is that teams are relunctant to trade amongst each other, for fear of making the other team better. It's going to take someone to make a major move, for these scared GMs to actually do something.

With the Hawks, we may actually get lucky on this road trip:

- Melo turned his ankle last night vs the Lakers. Will he play against us on Wednesday night? If not, we should win that game.

- Seattle looks worse now, than they did at the beginning of the year

- The Clippers are playing just as bad as we are recently

- Portland will be tough to beat at home, but we can play with that team.

- Phoenix should beat us, but you never know with them.

JJ has to be stellar during this trip, to give us a legit shot every game. Lose all 5, and heads should roll . . Lose 4, and a trade should at least be seriously considered. But if we lose 3 or less during this trip, the Hawks may stay with the status quo.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think a lot of these GMs, especially in the East, are afraid to make the WRONG move via a trade. They're trying to make the perfect deal, and hope their team can at least hold their position until they decide what to do. Of course, some teams may have the urge to make a deal more than others.

Detroit or Orlando
are probably on the verge of adding Webber, to shore up the 5 spot.

Boston
may add one more shooter to bring off the bench ( rumored to possibly be Damon Stoudamire if Memphis buys him out ).

Toronto and Washington
are basically waiting on their injured PGs to come back, and give them a shot in the arm for the 2nd half of the season.

And
Cleveland
looks to be clicking on all cylinders now, even though they might make a deal for a PG . . but no one wants Larry Hughes.

I think those teams are kind of waiting to see what the other does, so that they can counter that move. Those six teams may believe that they have enough pieces to win the East, or at least get past the 1st round. Which leaves us, and the rest of the East.

It's pretty obvious as we approach the halfway point in the season, that the rest of the East may have to do something in order to get those final 2 spots, or possibly move up into the top 6. But those teams are very leery of giving up young developing talent for a veteran, to possibly get into the playoffs, but only to lose to the more powerful East teams in the 1st round. So they have to make a decision: is making the playoffs the goal, or is making NOISE in the playoffs the goal? Miami, Milwaukee, and New York are teams that might be done . . although Milwaukee is still in striking distance.

New Jersey
- Just making the playoffs isn't their goal, they want to make noise because their window is rapidly closing. They're on the verge of a breakdown, because while they legitimately have 3 all-star players, they are easily the most schizophrenic team in the NBA. It literally drives that fan base and the NY media crazy. The Vince Carter for Jermaine O'Neal trade talk, could've been the spark that forced everybody to do something. But with Jermaine talking about sitting out the entire season, that talk is rapidly dying down.

Chicago
- While Gasol didn't look spectacular, the Bulls looked like complete crap today. But while we talk about getting Gasol, Chicago has a very real chance of getting him. Like Jersey, they're probably not just content to make the playoffs, especially not after their showing last year. But when you get throttled by the Grizzlies, the pressure may be greater than ever to make a significant move just to get into a playoff push.

Indiana
- They beat Philly today, but the news of O'Neal possibly sitting out a long time, forces a lot of people to step up and compensate for his loss. Now, more than ever, they may fully commit to the uptempo game. Any trade they do, may reflect that. Problem now, is that the one guy that could get them a significant player, is hurt. If they trade one of the other guys, it may hurt them more than help them. They would welcome just a trip to the playoffs, regardless of how they do.

Philly
- They're a team that has to make a big decision: Do they make a playoff push and trade for a player now, ( other than a crap player like Giricek ), or do they wait till next year to make their move? They have a few very desireable pieces to deal, in exchange for expiring contracts, that could make them a major player in free agency this summer. As for this year, they're still undecided.

Charlotte
- They're the one team that has made a small deal, that has seemed to make them a better team. With Nazr, the Cats can move Okafor to PF. This all of a sudden gives the Bobcats one of the more tougher and athletic frontlines in the East, with Nazr, Okafor, and Wallace. Charlotte has been playing top level teams recently, so the true impact of this move can't be judged yet. But if you see Charlotte start to consistently beat bad and mediocre teams in the East, they will have to be watched closely. Just making the playoffs would be huge. If J-Rich starts to light it up offensively, they become a dangerous team the 2nd half of the season.

Atlanta
- They have expiring contracts and nice young talent across the board. The perfect assets you need to make a move. But they're either scared not to make another mistake ( Speedy ), or are under orders to do nothing. If the teams below the Hawks are also scared to give up somebody, the Hawks may be OK and still get in the playoffs. But if somebody does trade for somebody, this may force our hand. What we can't do, is let one of those teams get a player that can help us, but help them overtake us. The trade has to make sense chemistry-wise and financial-wise. The goal for us is to just get in the playoff dance.

The East is like a restrictor plate NASCAR race at Daytona, where everybody just follows everybody, trying not to make a mistake. Then, somebody will do something interesting, like stay out on the track during a caution while everybody is pitting for gas and/or tires, to improve their track position. It's a risky move, but a necessary one, if you want to be in position to win the race or finish in the top 5.

I think the Hawks are perfectly content in just sneaking into the playoffs, without doing anything drastic to shake up the roster. It's going to take someone else making a move, or Charlotte catching us, to force their hand.

From our perspective... the recent resigning of Bernie suggests to me that a move is about to happen. Maybe Smoove for Gasol. Bernie would be against this because Smoove is definitely a fan draw. Owners might be for it because it increases the chances of winning??

Movng Smoove is a ballzy move that could make or break BK as a GM. Initially, it would be widey criticized by the fan base and the media. But it is a move that could balance this team out. He'd be viewed as a fool, or a genius.

Here's another guy to consider that no one hs talked about . . . . Cuttino Mobley ( 6 - 4 . . 215 - 220 lbs )

Cuttino is a guy that can shoot the 3 and create his own shot if need be. He's decent defensively, not great by any stretch of the imagination. He would also allow the Hawks to put 2 deep scoring threats on the floor at the same time ( Cuttino and JJ ). Most important, he's a vet that knows how to play.

I haven't run this through the trade checker, but maybe a Chill + Shelden + Lue for Cuttino and a 2008 2nd rd pick. ( You trade Lue to get him out of Woody's Toolbox. As long as he is an option for Woody to go to, he'll continue to use him )

If not Gasol or an Eddy Curry, then a guy like Cuttino should be considered. This goes against my theory of trading Chill in a package for a very good player. But it would balance this team out if we moved him for Cuttino.

Cuttino is owed around 18 million after this season for the next 2 years. That's pretty much equal to what a resigned Chill and a Shelden would make anyway. If the Clips want to restructure their team a bit, they may do a deal like this, seeing that it could potentially give them some instant cap relief. If they don't like Chill, they could just let him go when somebody signs him to an offer sheet. Same goes with Shelden, if they don't want to pick up his team option after the 08 - 09 season.

Diesel, I completely agree with you in that other thread in which you dressed down JackB a bit about not willing to do whatever to make the TEAM better. Loyalty to Smoove, Marvin, Chill, or even JJ, shouldn't stand in the way of making the team better.

But I agree wit you most about the point you made about JJ. This is Year 3 of JJ in ATL. If the guys we have now isn't the right mix to get us to that next level, the organization has to be willing to make changes sooner than later. If not, and we somehow miss the playoffs, JJ is going to be even more unhappy going into 2008.

Lineup with Cuttino:

PG - Law / AJ / JJ

G - JJ / Cuttino / West

F - Marvin / JJ

F - Smoove / Marvin / Solo

F/C - Horford / Wright / Smoove / Zaza

Offensively, we could throw this group on the floor:

G - Law

G - Cuttino

G/F - JJ

F - Smoove

F/C - Horford

Or this lineup:

G - Cuttino

G - JJ

F - Marvin

F - Smoove

F/C - Horford

Or go high speed with this lineup:

G - Law

G - Cuttino

G/F - JJ

F - Marvin

F - Smoove

Offensively, these are much more potent groups to have on the floor, than anyting we have right now. And defensively, we don't lose much at all. Yes, we still need a decent or defensive big, but we lost that chance when we didn't get Nazr.

For you running advocates, aquiring Cuttino may be a good move for the Hawks.

Wrong mentality Plastic. The window of opportunity is right now for us. At this point,we can't worry about where a player was drafted relative to another player.

If Shelden doesn't have some mysterious injury that we don't know about, he has regressed as a player. With the situation with our frontline, there is no excuse for Shelden to not be able to get time.

A lot of people blame Woody for Shelden not playing. I blame Shelden for Shelden not playing. No matter what level of basketball you play at, a player mush show the coach that he's improved, and is willing to play his role on the team.

BK may have to come to the realization that Shelden just couldn't cut it as an impact player in this league. I'll defend the pick because I see why he chose him. His credentials were impressive. But he's not even a good defender on this level. He's just average.

So when you're involving Shelden in ay deal, we can't have the mentality that we're trading a top 5 pick, because he plays nowhere near his pick status. It is what it is.

So the deal is basically Cuttino for Chill, while getting rid of 2 players who are pretty much dead weight to us right now. Neither Lue nor Shelden looks to be able to help us in the ways we need help.

Lue is more of an asset than Shelden right now. And that says a hell of a lot about Shelden these days.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Wrong mentality Plastic. The window of opportunity is right now for us. At this point,we can't worry about where a player was drafted relative to another player.

If Shelden doesn't have some mysterious injury that we don't know about, he has regressed as a player. With the situation with our frontline, there is no excuse for Shelden to not be able to get time.

A lot of people blame Woody for Shelden not playing. I blame Shelden for Shelden not playing. No matter what level of basketball you play at, a player mush show the coach that he's improved, and is willing to play his role on the team.

BK may have to come to the realization that Shelden just couldn't cut it as an impact player in this league. I'll defend the pick because I see why he chose him. His credentials were impressive. But he's not even a good defender on this level. He's just average.

So when you're involving Shelden in ay deal, we can't have the mentality that we're trading a top 5 pick, because he plays nowhere near his pick status. It is what it is.

So the deal is basically Cuttino for Chill, while getting rid of 2 players who are pretty much dead weight to us right now. Neither Lue nor Shelden looks to be able to help us in the ways we need help.

Lue is more of an asset than Shelden right now. And that says a hell of a lot about Shelden these days.

I agree about the window, however, I disagree about Cuttino. Honestly, he's not worth that much to us because he's not a ball handler.

What we need is a PG who can hit an open 3.

Names that Pop up: Calderon, Jack, Sergio.

Well, Calderon is prolly a no go... Toronto will prolly move heaven and earth to keep him.

Jack... That's interesting but I just don't see the ball handler in him.

Sergio... He's great (or at least he looked great against us) but I think he's tops on Portland's list.

More better would be:

Steve Blake, Jason Kapono.

I have always liked Blake. Since Maryland I have been a fan of his. I think we can get him over Sergio. Business wise, PTL would prolly like to relieve themselves of some salary. They are sitting really pretty with a lot of their talent being on Rookie contracts.

Kapono is struggling right now. He's a BU quality player. What makes him interesting is like I said, Toronto will move heaven and Earth to keep Calderon. I guess they will move Kapono. I like him because given time, he can hit the big shot. He's a swingman so there's no rush to look at him though.

Even more names...

Jason Terry, Jose Berea, Damon Stoudamire.

Stoudamire will be bought out...

Terry could probably be had if we pick up his contract. Maybe Dallas is interested in sweet shooting Lue and filler. I know they have money, but we're talking about winning for seasons to come. Terry may cost us a Chillz/Lue package... or Worst a Marvin/Lue package. However, he's a sweet shooter and he knows the city.

Berea...

Berea resigns with Dallas if Terry is moved. The thing about Berea is that he's not so bad. If he were taller, he'd be pretty good.

The Last name...

Acie Law.

I say we can wait on Acie and play AJ in the meanwhile. It's not much of a screwjob. AJ is a good shooter and he can run the offense.

As far as our other problem... maybe we should invest in a big man who can play the post. What's the going rate on Channing Frye. Can we make him a better rebounder? He has good post moves!

If we go for mobley, pickup brevin as well? I know people dont like him cause he cant shoot and other issues, but he gets alot of steals and affects game tempo, only 2yr deal.

But yah, i would hit up the west coast for the PG and SG combo trade, blazers, clippers, or seattle come to mind. Its harder trade for help at C...the decent ones hit our cap at $9m plus...and we dont have much quality assets outside of expirings (if we do a pg/sg trade as well). Like Brad Miller has 3yrs at $10m left on his contract, but i doubt kings let him go...hawes isnt ready for big minutes, and impending loss of bibby or artest is clouding their decisions.

But heres list of trades i can imagine:

Kings: Brad Miller(3yr) + SG (garcia or backcourt help) ~$12-14m

Clippers: Mobley(3yr) + Knight (2yr) ~ $10m

Blazers: Rodriguez or Jack both 2yrs, ~$1.5 (probably get a pick back from them)

Sonics: too many options to list, for bigs Sene, Collison or Wilcox, and sg/pg ridnour, west, wilkins

Wolves: Green(1yr) and one of their SF/PF Smith, Gomes, guys for the bench for most part since ours is quite lacking

Then theres the Memphis, Philly scenarios we always hear about...and if someone really wants to blow $$ on mo Williams in milwaukee.. We are really flexible with our expirings...it all comes down to ASG which will probably stay the course/do nothing. I think this year was/is our best window to make a move..as our youngins will eat up our cap space this offseason and after that. Also, If we dont make a move, i doubt Joe will resign as a FA in 3yrs, so i can see them moving him next year depending on how we are doing then.

I see our assets for trades as expirings(not AJ tho), Shelden+Pachulia, and main components of Childress, or Marv, and 1st rnd picks in 09/10 (too much youth).

Sorry for the rambling post, still new to the squawk after lurking for a good year or so, letting it all out :P