• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Hawks are a lock for the playoffs this year!!!

Packfill

I guarantee the Hawks make the playoffs this year.

Seriously. How can they not? The East has two excellent teams, four good teams and a bunch of trash.

The question then, is this satisfying to anyone?

It would be for me but for my feeling that this team will, absent serious reconstruction, is going to top out as a 3 or 4 seed rather (kind of like the Smitty, Mookie, Deke team) then being a true championship contender, which I thought was the point of striping the team to nothing 4 years ago.

I figure we will make it, unless the season plays out exactly how our games play out. start well, have some lulls, get hot again-all but lock up a playoff spot, then lose 6 in a row the last two weeks of the season while chicago wins 6 in a row to beat us out for the last playoff spot.

• Moderators

Clevland contended last year despite being not that great. You have to get good to get great. Once we're a playoff team (even in the east) we can hopefully spend the money to take us to the next level. The Pistons were good but needed Sheed to get over the hump.

Quote:

Clevland contended last year despite being not that great. You have to get good to get great. Once we're a playoff team (even in the east) we can hopefully spend the money to take us to the next level. The Pistons were good but needed Sheed to get over the hump.

Well, Cleveland does have one of the top 5 players in the game, and his ability to rev things up in the playoffs last year is not something any of the current Hawks players have demonstrated they can do.

I think we could suprise some teams in the playoffs. I think we will be the lower seeded team that teams fear or don't want to play.

I remember a 50 + win Hawks team getting swept in the 2nd round vs. and undersized , #8 seed in the NY Knicks a while back.

I recall the Pistons looking old and sluggish last year in the playoffs after looking like the class of the NBA in the regular season. I expect the same thing to happen this post season. Wallace, McDeysse, and Billups will look old come playoff time.....again.

We could also beat the Magic.....I love how we matchup vs the Magic. JJ on their guards is a thing of beauty. Marvin and Smoove vs. 2 fowards who don't know the meaning of defense. I like this one alot.

Cleveland....we stand as good of a chance as anyone vs. the Cavs. Lebron ate little Prince and Hamilton for lunch in the playoffs last year. We have the best matchup vs. Lebron in Smoove, Marvin, and Chills taking him and wearing him down by comittee.

If we matchup vs. one of these 3 teams.....I like our chances (as an under dog.)

Many top tier teams coast through the last month of the regualr season and then get caught by suprise when the real season starts.....See Dallas last year.

All is not lost Hawks fans ! Once we get into the playoffs we got some dynamic players that could really suprise some people.

• Moderators

Quote:

Speaking for me personally:

(a) As of the day the playoff matchups are announced, it is satisfying without qualification in a year where our lottery pick is already gone;

(b) As of next season, just how satisfying is a matter of how we look when we get there.

The Thrashers are the perfect example of (b).

Quote:

Quote:

Speaking for me personally:

(a) As of the day the playoff matchups are announced, it is satisfying without qualification in a year where our lottery pick is already gone;

(b) As of next season, just how satisfying is a matter of how we look when we get there.

The Thrashers are the perfect example of (b).

I sort of agree, but will add that I won't be too satisfied if we limp into the playoffs with a record several games under .500.

The scenarios that satisfy me:

- .500 (or close to it) and higher

- playoff berth

- giving the Suns as high (in numbers, not high as in close to #1) a pick as possible

The scenario that I get more than satisfied with, let's say "proud of":

- competitive first round series, take it to 6 or 7 games

The scenario that would thrill me beyond expectations:

- winning the first series

If we make the playoffs the Suns get the 15th or 16th pick..if we don't they will get the 10th or 11th seeding in the lottery. Phoenix will likely sell the pick if it isn't in the lottery.I would prefer the 8th seed over the 7th though...more media coverage(against the Celtics)and Boston has looked very vulnerable lately against mediocre teams. They may be burnt out by April and we could steal a couple of games.

If we make the playoffs I will be very happy. I definitely think this team will get a lot better and just making the playoffs will give this team a lot of confidence. Bottom line, I'm sick of having the longest playoff drought in the NBA.

The only downside is Woodson/BK may get some undue praise.

Quote:

If we make the playoffs I will be very happy. I definitely think this team will get a lot better and just making the playoffs will give this team a lot of confidence. Bottom line, I'm sick of having the longest playoff drought in the NBA.

Given the Atlanta Spirit's track record, that is potentially a big downside.

I guess I rather lose the battle and win the war, so to speak.

Quote:

Making the playoffs as a still crappy team is the absolute worst thing that could happen to this team...if that means Woody and Knight signing extensions.

We would be much better off missing the playoffs if we can rid ourselves of the Woodson/BK curse. No first round sweep is worth getting Woody back.

Quote:

We are hardly a lock for the playoffs. We still have to survive this west coast trip in which we could allow several teams to catch up to us

LOL I wouldn't bet on any team catching us. Milwaukee is the only teams that threating.

CHicago has been banged up all year

Indiana lost Jermaine O'neal, and has sucked ever since, they lost to Miami!

N.J Nets just blew up, right in front of our eyes, and are now looking to trade everyone.

Charlotte,Chicago, and even the Knicks will be the teams to watch.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Making the playoffs as a still crappy team is the absolute worst thing that could happen to this team...if that means Woody and Knight signing extensions.

I am hoping that we make the playoffs and it is obvious the team needs a new coach to take the next step. Hopefully, other coaches will see that talent and be interested in seeing what they could do with it. That is kind of my best case scenario.

Quote:

I am hoping that we make the playoffs and it is obvious the team needs a new coach to take the next step. Hopefully, other coaches will see that talent and be interested in seeing what they could do with it. That is kind of my best case scenario.

A 4 game 1st round sweep in which our team looks completely lost from a coaching standpoint could very well be that best case scenario.