• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

To All The Salim Supporters

JackB1

Terrible post. He played well, So what he missed a few shots? All his shots looked good and none were forced. He is one of the only players on our team who can create any shot they want at any time. He has improved his effort on defense which was his biggest weakness. He is the type of player who would blow up elsewhere.

Quote:

Terrible post. He played well, So what he missed a few shots? All his shots looked good and none were forced. He is one of the only players on our team who can create any shot they want at any time. He has improved his effort on defense which was his biggest weakness. He is the type of player who would blow up elsewhere.

"Looking good" while shooting means nothing if they don't go in. And it's not like he was facing tough defense either. If you think he would "blow up" with a different team, you are surely kidding yourself. He's a one dimensional, undersized guard without great ball handling skills. Hopefully we will get the chance to find out how he does with another team.

On another note, Acie still isn't hitting any shots. I love his effort but the kid still has a long way to go.

• Premium Member

Quote:

What are you talking about???

Grant it. I turned off the game with three minutes left in the third... but I do remember the first three possessions that Salim was in resulted in two terrible Salim shots...

I love how our "sharp shooter" is a 30% shooter from the field.

And regarding his defensive effort: Who gives a good god DAMN if the man is a lock down defender... he is a freaking 5'10" SG! if he can't make shots he has no business at all of being in the damn game. What the heck does it matter if you are playing good defense on people that can shoot over you flat footed???

Quote:

Grant it. I turned off the game with three minutes left in the third... but I do remember the first three possessions that Salim was in resulted in two terrible Salim shots...

Terrible shots? How were they terrible? They were good looks that rimmed out. Do you expect the man to come in the game and knock down all his shots when he has not played in months? Players need time to get warm and shooting is effected the most by that. Anyone who has half a brain cell can see we need scoring and perimeter shooting and Salim provides that. Right now we hardly have anyone who can create their own shot. Salim can at will. And who are we kidding? What other guards have been playing so well that Salim can't even play once a month?

Quote:

He's improved his effort on defense?

What's that entail?

Putting his hands up?

So you mean to tell me you do not know what putting effort into defense entails? Maybe time for you to find a new hobby... or stop being a sarcastic prick thumb3d.gif

But I'm sure since you have 1000 posts in about a year you must be an expert right?

Quote:

Terrible shots? How were they terrible? They were good looks that rimmed out. Do you expect the man to come in the game and knock down all his shots when he has not played in months? Players need time to get warm and shooting is effected the most by that.

This is the NBA Duke. Salim is a professional. He's supposed to be a shooter. A damn good shooter at that. If a shooter can't make shots in this league, he won't be in the league long.

Everytime Salim gets a chance to come in a game to provide an offensive spark, he fails to do it. I'm a big of a Salim fan than anybody. But like with Shelden, I can't defend him anymore.

Salim plays ball every day. He probably takes a ton of shots each day as well. I know there is a difference between practice speed and game speed, but a pure shooter like Salim should be able to make shots whether he plays 25 minutes a night, or 5 minutes a night.

Sunday against Boston, a seldom used player like Brian Cook steps into a game in the 3rd qtr. It's his first action of the game. Cook is a soft as hell 6 - 9 forward, but he's strictly an outside shooter. He steps in the game, and scores 11 straight points in a 2 - 3 minute span for the Magic, including three 3's. At that time, he blew the game open for the Magic.

Of course, Cook can't play like that all the time. But as a shooter, that's what his team looks for him to do.

I don't mind one bit for Salim to come into a game firing shots . . or chucking. That's what he's supposed to do. But he has a limited amount of minutes AND shots a night, to impact a game.

We can't wait for him to go 1 - 5 FG, before he hits 5 in a row. We can do that with a starter, but not a role player. And he's not going to get 10 shots in a game, unless he plays 25 - 30 minutes, or if he starts out red hot.

There are no more excuses for Salim. His niche in the NBA is that of a shooter. If he can't hit at least 2 of his first 4 or 5 shots, he can't be on the floor . . . period.

Quote:

Anyone who has half a brain cell can see we need scoring and perimeter shooting and Salim provides that.

The last time he provided that, was during March, when he was playing 25 - 30 minutes a game. He was great during that stretch.

But we all know what his problem is. He's not big enough to play the 2, and he doesn't have the skills of a 1. If he could defend and handle the ball while being pressured, we could get away with him in the starting lineup alongside JJ, with JJ being the playmaker in the halfcourt offense . . ala Daniel Gibson and LeBron. Unfortunately, those aren't Salim's strengths.

Quote:

Right now we hardly have anyone who can create their own shot. Salim can at will. And who are we kidding? What other guards have been playing so well that Salim can't even play once a month?

None of them. Salim can create his shot. But he tends to rush all of his shots, which results in him missing 70% of them. We can't play him, if he's going to miss 70% of his shots.

Lue plays befoe Salim, because Lue can come right into a game and make shots. He'll give the points right back, but he can make shots. If Salim could make shots, he'd instantly make Lue obsolete.

Quote:

Quote:

Terrible shots? How were they terrible? They were good looks that rimmed out. Do you expect the man to come in the game and knock down all his shots when he has not played in months? Players need time to get warm and shooting is effected the most by that.

This is the NBA Duke. Salim is a professional. He's supposed to be a shooter. A damn good shooter at that. If a shooter can't make shots in this league, he won't be in the league long.

Everytime Salim gets a chance to come in a game to provide an offensive spark, he fails to do it. I'm a big of a Salim fan than anybody. But like with Shelden, I can't defend him anymore.

Salim plays ball every day. He probably takes a ton of shots each day as well. I know there is a difference between practice speed and game speed, but a pure shooter like Salim should be able to make shots whether he plays 25 minutes a night, or 5 minutes a night.

Sunday against Boston, a seldom used player like Brian Cook steps into a game in the 3rd qtr. It's his first action of the game. Cook is a soft as hell 6 - 9 forward, but he's strictly an outside shooter. He steps in the game, and scores 11 straight points in a 2 - 3 minute span for the Magic, including three 3's. At that time, he blew the game open for the Magic.

Of course, Cook can't play like that all the time. But as a shooter, that's what his team looks for him to do.

I don't mind one bit for Salim to come into a game firing shots . . or chucking. That's what he's supposed to do. But he has a limited amount of minutes AND shots a night, to impact a game.

We can't wait for him to go 1 - 5 FG, before he hits 5 in a row. We can do that with a starter, but not a role player. And he's not going to get 10 shots in a game, unless he plays 25 - 30 minutes, or if he starts out red hot.

There are no more excuses for Salim. His niche in the NBA is that of a shooter. If he can't hit at least 2 of his first 4 or 5 shots, he can't be on the floor . . . period.

Quote:

Anyone who has half a brain cell can see we need scoring and perimeter shooting and Salim provides that.

The last time he provided that, was during March, when he was playing 25 - 30 minutes a game. He was great during that stretch.

But we all know what his problem is. He's not big enough to play the 2, and he doesn't have the skills of a 1. If he could defend and handle the ball while being pressured, we could get away with him in the starting lineup alongside JJ, with JJ being the playmaker in the halfcourt offense . . ala Daniel Gibson and LeBron. Unfortunately, those aren't Salim's strengths.

Quote:

Right now we hardly have anyone who can create their own shot. Salim can at will. And who are we kidding? What other guards have been playing so well that Salim can't even play once a month?

None of them. Salim can create his shot. But he tends to rush all of his shots, which results in him missing 70% of them. We can't play him, if he's going to miss 70% of his shots.

Lue plays befoe Salim, because Lue can come right into a game and make shots. He'll give the points right back, but he can make shots. If Salim could make shots, he'd instantly make Lue obsolete.

I understand what your saying, but there is a huge difference between not playing for months and getting anywhere from 10-20 minutes a night. Let's not try to argue that Salim is not a good shooter because of this season because I think we both can agree he has one of the best strokes on the team.

I would also say that Salim has always had great handles, he would just get out of control and wild at times. From watching him just the little we have got to this year, it looks like he has improved on that a good deal. Salim is never going to be a lock down defender, but he has improved there as well to the point he is no longer someone that can just have it taken to him all night.

Now I am no Salim fan, I have no bias towards him, I just think he has skills and its crazy to not use him if only for 10-20 minutes a game.

When our PG's were injured in november, i started to jump on the salim bandwagon...i had not seen him play much b4 that...and lue wasnt looking so hot at the time and AJ wasnt the only option...but man its easy to see he's not bringing much to the table. He moves his arms alot and postures alot, but you cant mistake that for defense.

But our roster is what it is...weak. Hes gonna really have to work this summer to make a guaranteed contract after we let him go. Id also rather have West activated, you can see West flying in for offensive rebs and contesting shots. If we traded him as filler b4 deadline, i am sure we could get a d-league guy that can be more productive...

Quote:

You were once again reminded why he doesn't play regularly.

Salim = chucker

I WILL MOS DEF SAY THIS IS NOT A GOOD THREAD! THE GUY WHEN 1-7... SOOOOOOOOO WHEN WAS THE THE LAST TIME THE GUY PLAY???

SALIM NEED TO BE ON THE FLOOR MORE THAN LUE.

AND COACHX YOUR POST ABOUT SALIM NOT BEING A POUR SHOOTER BECAUSE "HE NEEDS TO PUT THE BALL ON THE FLOOR BEFORE SHOOTING"

THE ONLY SHOOT HE MADE LAST NIGHT WAS A SPOT UP JUMPER. 3 POINTER AT THAT TOO whistling.gif

Quote:

Quote:

You were once again reminded why he doesn't play regularly.

Salim = chucker

I WILL MOS DEF SAY THIS IS NOT A GOOD THREAD! THE GUY WHEN 1-7... SOOOOOOOOO WHEN WAS THE THE LAST TIME THE GUY PLAY???

SALIM NEED TO BE ON THE FLOOR MORE THAN LUE.

AND COACHX YOUR POST ABOUT SALIM NOT BEING A POUR SHOOTER BECAUSE "HE NEEDS TO PUT THE BALL ON THE FLOOR BEFORE SHOOTING"

THE ONLY SHOOT HE MADE LAST NIGHT WAS A SPOT UP JUMPER. 3 POINTER AT THAT TOO whistling.gif

You sure are taking a small sample size. One shot does not prove a point. Not to mention it was vs. the 3rd string in a blow out.

Guess you never saw his college career at Arizona where he was a proilfic scorer off the dribble and not the catch and shoot pure shooter in the JJ Reddick mode.

In the NBA Salim sucks ! Sorry it hurts your feelings so bad.

Quote:

LOL anyone who judges a player on missing shots when he has not gotten action in a few months and had spot minutes tonight is a moron who has obviously never played any basketball. Not even worth addressing.

You have to be joking. The problem with Salim is shot selection. He comes off the bench and jacks up quick contested threes early in the shot clock before our team's in a position to get a rebound.

His problem is easy to fix, but he shows no signs of wanting to fix it.

Quote:

Quote:

LOL anyone who judges a player on missing shots when he has not gotten action in a few months and had spot minutes tonight is a moron who has obviously never played any basketball. Not even worth addressing.

You have to be joking. The problem with Salim is shot selection. He comes off the bench and jacks up quick contested threes early in the shot clock before our team's in a position to get a rebound.

Exactly...the guy has no clue how to the play the game.

He plays like he is at Rucker Park or something.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly...the guy has no clue how to the play the game.

He plays like he is at Rucker Park or something.

I think he "knows", I don't think he "cares" anymore. Early in the season he seemed willing to turn over a new leaf and his play looked better in spurts. After months of riding the pine I think e just wants to get in there and "get his". Part of me can't blame him, but most of me wants to say to hell with him.