• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

David Thorpe on Josh Childress

AHF

• Moderators

From yesterday's chat:

Quote:

Lance (OH): I just read an article that The Magic might try to acquire Josh Childress by sending out their 1st rounder and Keyon Dooling. Isn't that too much to give???

David Thorpe: No. I love JChill's upside.

Nothing else substantive on the Hawks.

If management and ownership were going to make the decision to not resign Chills and allow him to walk for nothing it is OK move from our stand point.

However, the Magic would be the last team I tried to improve since they are in our divsion.

Chills fits perfectly for them. They don't need a SG who can shoot b/c the fowards and PGs are excellent shooters. Turkalu and Lewis are excellent 3 point shooters. They need a long guy who brings the intangbles to the SG position, like Chills

It would be a great move for the Magic when you consider their pick will only be in the 20's.

This may get Jaywalker to post since he is an Orlando guy now.

I am getting tired of watching Childress. He can't score from the perimeter at all. He is too slow to be effective on D or to take guys off the dribble. He can only score inside but he is so weak he can't take contact and frequently loses the ball.

If the Hawks let him walk for nothing that wouldn't even bother me.

• Moderators

Quote:

Pat(Chicago): On that note, has Calderon passed Kevin Martin and Gerald Wallace as the most underrated player in the league?

John Hollinger: David West has to be in that discussion too, as does Josh Childress. I might go with West right now, but any of those five guys has a strong case.

• Moderators

Quote:

Mike (Tallahassee): You keep saying that the Hawks might let Childress go, but I don't see it, at least so long as Knight and Woodson are running the show. They LOVE him. He plays starter's minutes, plays in crunch time, and his versatility is a perfect fit for their system (such as it is).

John Hollinger: Do they love him to the tune of $8-9 million a year to come off the bench? Because if somebody else makes an offer sheet in that range, their options are to match it or let him walk. I agree that they'd prefer to keep him, but the market may work against them.

• Moderators

(Bob) Atlanta: That's interesting about Childress in theory, but how many teams are going to have the cap room to make that kind of offer? And look how many quality free agents there will be this year, too.

John Hollinger: You're right that it might not happen -- Philly might end up being the only team with cap space, and they could target another free agent. But if you were going to go after ANY of the restricted FAs, he'd be the guy, because Atlanta has to pay Smith, they're already paying Johnson, and Marvin is up for an extension in the fall. So you're gonna pay Childress big bucks to back up those three guys?

• Moderators

Quote:

Mike (Tallahassee): Any chance the Hawks move Pachulia or Shelden Williams? They aren't bad, but they just don't fit the Hawks' style. Their contracts are reasonable.

John Hollinger: Actually, they are bad, and that's the problem. What are they going to get in return? Hawks' best hope is that Zaza finds his mojo again and gives them a quality backup center.

Quote:

He plays starter's minutes, plays in crunch time, and his versatility is a perfect fit for their system (such as it is).

Obviously this guy doesn't watch Hawks games. Childress is one of the least versitile wing players in the league. he can't defend and he is known for his late game blunders.

His lack of passing ability was on full display last night. He couldn't make an entry pass without getting it swatted away and tried to throw an alley oop to Smith when Smith had no chance of getting near the basket.

Quote:

From yesterday's chat:

Quote:

Lance (OH): I just read an article that The Magic might try to acquire Josh Childress by sending out their 1st rounder and Keyon Dooling. Isn't that too much to give???

David Thorpe: No. I love JChill's upside.

Nothing else substantive on the Hawks.

I'd rather not split up Childress' value in a player and a pick and simply get one player for him or combine him with another player (i.e. SW) and get a single, slightly better player for the both of them. We can get role players all day long with the MLE or FAcy. Let's try to do a little better for ourselves than Dooling and a 20-something.

W

Quote:

Quote:

He plays starter's minutes, plays in crunch time, and his versatility is a perfect fit for their system (such as it is).

Obviously this guy doesn't watch Hawks games. Childress is one of the least versitile wing players in the league. he can't defend and he is known for his late game blunders.

His lack of passing ability was on full display last night. He couldn't make an entry pass without getting it swatted away and tried to throw an alley oop to Smith when Smith had no chance of getting near the basket.

When you look at Childress 4 years into his career, you have to ask "What in the hell was BK thinking"? he is so limited and his limitations are easy to see...

BK never asked himself about that horrendous release point? Well, I guess its because he's long and lean. I'm sick of the whole thing. We have Woody and Bk, two absolute jokes.

That reminds me of a game a couple of weeks ago when Childress tried to shoot a shot before the end of a quarter, yet it took him so looooooooooooooooong with that release that he didn't make it in time. All Steve Smith could do was laugh and say "he tried". It's like Chills has to touch his toes with the ball before he can shoot.

i guess it's an ok deal..dooling would help us in our shooting department and would get good minutes to contribute that shooting but is he worth it? he's played for a few teams now, is there something we're missing? how deep is the draft this year, what area do you see orlando's pick being at?

• Premium Member

Quote:

i guess it's an ok deal..dooling would help us in our shooting department and would get good minutes to contribute that shooting but is he worth it? he's played for a few teams now, is there something we're missing? how deep is the draft this year, what area do you see orlando's pick being at?

In essence, these guys want to send away Chillz for 3 months with Dooling and Pick #28 in the draft?

Yeah... That's smart?!?!??!

I guess Ex really wants to host the Draft day party!