• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Smoove and Hawks in the paper here, today

HawkNJersey

Tons of compliments...

Posted on Tue, Feb. 5, 2008

Sixers get burned in Atlanta

They blew a 20-point, first-quarter lead and wasted Andre Miller's 29-point effort.

By Marc Narducci

Inquirer Staff Writer

ATLANTA - What looked like a laugher in the beginning turned into another exercise in frustration for the 76ers.

Leading by as many as 20 points in the first quarter, the Sixers sputtered the rest of the way last night in a 96-91 loss to the Atlanta Hawks at the Philips Arena.

The Sixers (18-30) simply were not able to contain fourth-year forward Josh Smith, who was a dominant force on both ends of the court.

The 6-foot-9 Smith finished with 19 points, 6 rebounds, 9 assists and 9 blocks.

"Josh Smith changes the game with his blocked shots," Sixers coach Maurice Cheeks said.

What was stunning was how quickly the Sixers faded after taking a 32-14 lead by the end of the first quarter.

At that point, they had outscored the Hawks by 15-0 on the fastbreak. The Hawks were doing such a poor job of getting back on defense that many of the baskets were uncontested.

The Sixers would score just two fastbreak points in the final three quarters.

"We jumped on them early tonight," said Andre Miller, who tied his season high with 29 points and shot 12 for 18. "However, when they dropped back into a zone, it gave us problems - and that is when the game changed."

Nobody was in a better zone than Smith, who will be a highly desired restricted free agent after the season, although it is difficult to imagine the Hawks letting him go.

In Atlanta's 88-79 win over the Sixers on Dec. 3, Smith had 22 points, 6 assists, 7 rebounds and 4 blocked shots. In essence, he is a player who fills up the box score.

"He is one of those rare players," said Andre Iguodala, who scored 22 points despite suffering flulike symptoms. "Nobody in the league is doing what he is doing, concerning scoring, rebounding, blocking shots, and getting assists and steals."

The Hawks trailed by just 50-44 at the half after outscoring the Sixers, 30-18, in the second quarter. Smith set the tone with seven points and six blocks.

"I understood when I came back in the game I had to change it on the defensive end," said Smith, who entered the night ranked second in the NBA with 3.2 blocks per game. "I was able to create the energy we needed to get back in the game."

Smith could also see that his work had an intimidating effect on the Sixers.

"When you block a couple of shots, it makes them kind of second-guess," he said.

Atlanta also got a huge game off the bench from Josh Childress, who scored 21 points and hit 9 of 11 from the field. Childress cashed in on several backdoor cuts to the basket.

The game changed for good when Smith blocked a Thaddeus Young shot and Al Horford scored for the Hawks on a follow, extending the lead to 93-88 with 39.3 seconds left.

"This is very disappointing," said Samuel Dalembert, who contributed nine points, 13 rebounds and five blocks. ". . . To me, [smith] was unbelievable."

He is truly becoming one of the most dominating players in the game and it's amazing to watch. I can't imagine the team letting him go because they would lose a ton of Hawks fans in the process, at least I can speak for myself in that regard. What a difference a season makes because this time last year, hell even in the offseason, I would have traded him for another young star, but not now. Outside of Lebron or Kobe I don't think there is a player in the league I would trade him for.

Quote:

He is truly becoming one of the most dominating players in the game and it's amazing to watch. I can't imagine the team letting him go because they would lose a ton of Hawks fans in the process, at least I can speak for myself in that regard. What a difference a season makes because this time last year, hell even in the offseason, I would have traded him for another young star, but not now. Outside of Lebron or Kobe I don't think there is a player in the league I would trade him for.

I would only trade him for Lebron....even then, I would be hesitant. Here's the ultimate Atlanta fan question. Smoove for Dwight, straight up?

As the guy NBATV said this morning. "Josh Smith is the most unique player to ever play this game" He had more to say, but I would be paraphrasing...because I was half sleep. But I did here "Not Wilt!" that did catch my ear.

Nope, not even for Dwight. If Dwight was a dominating scorer then I would consider it, but he isn't a better scorer than Josh and rest of their games pretty much equal out, although I would say that Josh's ability to run the break as the point tip the scales in his favor.

I would only do Kobe and Lebron because if you put either of those guys with JJ he gets to go back to being the dominating 2nd option that he probably should be. Seeing him spot up with nobody on him, man that would be nice.

Quote:

Nope, not even for Dwight. If Dwight was a dominating scorer then I would consider it, but he isn't a better scorer than Josh and rest of their games pretty much equal out,

Howard gets almost 15 rebound per game!!

So they do come close to equaling out.

The only reason I wouldn't do Kobe...is because of his age. You are trading away a 7 year difference.

D Howard, nope. If you watch Orlando games frequently...you would know why. He's bigger...and the only thing he does better is rebound. And listening to Rick Mahorn on NBA Radio(who may be Smoove's biggest fan) he said the only reason Smoove doesn't rebound more, is because he's too busy playing help defense...which means he's almost never around the rim, when the shot is attempted. I never thought of that.

He even called him Max Smooth...

Quote:

Nope, not even for Dwight. If Dwight was a dominating scorer then I would consider it, but he isn't a better scorer than Josh and rest of their games pretty much equal out, although I would say that Josh's ability to run the break as the point tip the scales in his favor.

Not a better scorer than Smith? Dwight is averaging 22 ppg on 60% shooting. Josh is at 18 ppg on 44%. Uh, yeah Dwight is a better scorer.

Not to mention he's a true center, a true low post option, and the best rebounder in the NBA. I would trade Smith for Dwight in a nanosecond.

It's too bad though, we could've had them both. mad.gif

He scores more points per game and shoots a higher percentage, but he isn't a better scorer.

Howard is the primary option every time the Magic run their half court option and the ball usually (at least when they are playing well) starts in his hands and then they work out to the perimeter from there.

On the other hand Smoove is the 2nd, sometimes 3rd option in an almost non-existent half court offense and has to get most of his points from fast breaks and taking his man off the dribble. If you were to put Smoove on a team that forced him to stay in the paint and fed him the ball in a structured offense I have no doubt that he would score 22ppg as the primary inside option. I wouldn't count out Smoove surpassing Howard in scoring next year if he becomes the full-time #2 option.

If all he was doing were dunking like it seems Howard does I bet he could. Smoove definitely doesn't have the post moves or the brut strength that Howard does though so I can't see him being able to get as many dunks as Howard.

Still though, I bet if they played 5 games of 21 Smoove would win 4 of them. That's why I see him as being a better scorer, because he can score in a variety of ways that Howard simply cannot do.

Quote:

If all he was doing were dunking like it seems Howard does I bet he could. Smoove definitely doesn't have the post moves or the brut strength that Howard does though so I can't see him being able to get as many dunks as Howard.

Still though, I bet if they played 5 games of 21 Smoove would win 4 of them. That's why I see him as being a better scorer, because he can score in a variety of ways that Howard simply cannot do.

exactly what I was thinking.Howard is great and scores alot but I don't see him as a great scorer.One time he had a big scoring game and they put his highlights on nba.com.and pretty much all of his fg's were dunks.