• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks to pick 5th???

Diesel

• Premium Member

Since I've been looking at Seattle, I have searched HIGH and Low... and there's some interesting speculation coming out of Seattle. 2 different sources report a deal with Miami. The times says #12 plus Ramanovich for #5.

But the second source said that Miami wants a C. And it would part with #5 if Seattle gave up Potapenko. Well, Seattle is said to be doing a deal with Portland for Rasheed. So the interesting deal is that they also want JT....

Here's what happened when I put it all in the dieselputer....

Potapenko to Miami.

Ellis/Lampley/Johnson/Butler/#5 to Atlanta.

JT (SNT)to Seattle.

Now the Glut of players mentioned from Miami all have Team Options. Atlanta could choose to cut them all and keep #5....ala duane ferrell.

Seattle goes on a deals for Wallace (Ramanovich/Barry/James/#12/#14).

End up with:

JT/Allen/Lewis/Wallace/Booth.... Not bad.

Miami now has:

Potapenko/Grant/Butler/Jones/PG.

We have #5 for JT.

We can pick Ford. We can pick....Dwayne Wade.... We can pick...Heinrich or Pietrus.

Just curious but where did you see rumors of Rasheed to Seattle? I haven't heard boo about that one. It also seems particularly unlikely since Seattle has always steadfastly refused to trade with Portland.

These were the latest Rasheed rumors that I'd seen this week.

Trade rumors

Chad Ford of ESPN Insider says Portland and Toronto are still talking trade (subscription required). This rumored deal involves Rasheed Wallace going to the Raptors in exchange for Antonio Davis, Hakeem Olajuwon (expiring contract) and the No. 4 pick in the draft. Ford:

Wallace's value is two-fold. Not only is he one of the top power forwards in the country when he's not serving suspensions, but his $17 million contract comes off the books next year.

Ford also says Miami would be willing to swap Brian Grant, Anthony Carter and the No. 5 pick for Wallace. However, Jason Quick has repeatedly told us that personal reasons would prevent Brian Grant from returning to the Rose City. Not that Grant would have a say if he is dealt, but he might not be a happy camper in Portland.

Draft murmurs

Today (Thursday, June 19) is the deadline for college and international underclassmen to withdraw from the NBA Draft. Many think high school Travis Outlaw should pull out, but sources have apparently told Chad Ford the Blazers have promised Outlaw (subscription required) that they'll select him with the No. 23 pick:

Outlaw, an athletic 6-foot-9 power forward, is considered to be one of the best athletes in the draft. However, his wiry frame will keep him from contributing for several years. That's cool with the Blazers, who have too much talent on their team anyway. He wouldn't be able to crack the rotation right away.

But until this team has a stable leader and some quality veterans who can show the young players the right way to go about their business, the Blazers should stay away from the high school scene.

Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Patterson update

Updating the earlier story on the Blazers' search for a president, The Oregonian is now reporting the Blazers have scheduled an 11:30am press conference for Wednesday, where they are expected to introduce Houston Texans' executive Steve Patterson as the next team president.

Payton to Portland?

This rumor never gets old, does it?!? Agent Eric Goodwin says Payton will most likely play for one of five teams next season. Goodwin says the Bucks will have the first crack at seven-time all star, but the Blazers, Warriors, Lakers and Timberwolves will all get a chance to make their pitches. Read more from Goodwin:

Quality of life is paramount. Gary has three children, and two of them can read every day about what their dad does. That's something that really influences him ... the city, the opportunity to win, what type of education and what type of friends his kids will have.

The Lakers have reportedly made Payton priority No. 1 this offseason. If Portland doesn't get moving with its front office hires (more below), July 16 (the first day free agent contracts can be signed) could be a heartbreaking day for some Blazers fans.

why would Miami give BUTLER + #5 for just Potapenko?

Miami was happy with BUTLER, they thought he was a steal at least years draft (i think it had to do with the fact that Butlers been in jail/prison before).

other than yao/stoudemire, Butler might have been the best rookie last year.

on top of that, they could go after KAMAN with that #5 pick... but instead go with Potapenko?

• Premium Member

In reply to:

Just curious but where did you see rumors of Rasheed to Seattle? I haven't heard boo about that one. It also seems particularly unlikely since Seattle has always steadfastly refused to trade with Portland.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/soni...nidraft220.html

In reply to:

They have options. They have enough valuable assets to broker a blockbuster trade, perhaps packaging their picks with players on the roster in a deal that might land a top-tier power forward.

Portland is reportedly listening to offers for Rasheed Wallace. Orlando, Boston and Phoenix have picks after Seattle and have each expressed a desire to move up in the draft.

Acquiring two first-round draft picks and giving both of them a guaranteed three-year contract may not make sense for a team with so many projects already developing.

• Premium Member

That's right...

Potapenko/#14 for #5.

Miami is expressing a desire to trade down seeing that they can't get BOSH???

Unfortunately, Sources say that Ford had a bad workout for Miami and NOW Miami figures that there's nobody in the top tier worthy of what they would pay a #5 pick or better yet, the talent difference between #5 and say #14 isn't that great. So why not get a Potapenko out the deal.

• Premium Member

Maybe not for Ford....

BUT,

Why haven't JT been Offered a qualifying offer yet?

Don't hand me this ownership crap either. It's just as easy for Knight to call McDavid and talk deals with him just to see what he wants.

This is obviously either a case of serious homerism, or a case of a lack of knowledge concerning the subject matter. As fast and as quick as JT is, Ford is quicker and faster. As good as a passer as we want JT to be, Ford is that good and even better. As good as JT gets to the basket, Ford is as good or better. The only things that JT has over Ford are that he is a far better shooter, better defender, and is more pro experienced. I love JT as much as the next guy, but I know in my heart that Ford will be a far better PG than JT will ever be. He may or may not be a better player overall, but Ford is a much better PG due to naturally being a PG and not a small SG.

I wouldn't even call JT a better defender than Ford...

JT isn't a good defender. His defense consists of swiping at the ball, letting his man blow past him, and hoping that Theo will be there.

Ford works his ass off on the defensive end. Both Ford and JT are quick enough to stay with anyone, but Ford will move his feet and do it. In the 2nd Oklahoma/Texas game this year, Ford shut down a red-hot Hollis Price in the 2nd half to give Texas the win.

If I'm in charge in Atlanta, I'd trade JT away to get Ford in a heartbeat.

You guys can go with the opinion saying TJ is better than JT, but I'm gonna be bias and stick with my player JT. I believe that JT is a better player than you guys give him credit for.......like I said before, you dont what we have until we lose it, watch we lose JT and everyone will be crying of wanting him back.

but TJ Ford is hands down a better PG. Why do you think he gets so many comparisons to Jason Kidd? The guy was born to play PG, not forced into it because of a lack of size like JT. I love JT and I think he is a very good basketball player and I hope that the Hawks keep him, but if I had the choice of having TJ or JT as my PG, I wouldnt have to think twice.