The Knicks Really Worried?

About the prospects of the 9 pick? I think that they're worried that they'll have to draft Kaman and then watch him be a flop...and their selecting him would be the result of need, not of taking the best player left at the pick. I think that's Leyden's fear (sp?). Would you do this trade...in it, I'm assuming a snt for Dion at his current salary (he won't command more on the open market)...years/duration, up to the Knicks and Dion.

Notice that the years of Spree/GRob (and Reef) are all the same. And then think about (taking Peitrus?) the nine.

Include our 21 pick and their 9 in this scenario:

Atlanta trades: SF Glenn Robinson (20.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 3.0 apg in 37.5 minutes)

SF Dion Glover (9.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.9 apg in 24.9 minutes)

Atlanta receives: SF Latrell Sprewell (16.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 4.5 apg in 38.6 minutes)

Change in team outlook: -14.1 ppg, -6.4 rpg, and -0.4 apg.

New York trades: SF Latrell Sprewell (16.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 4.5 apg in 38.6 minutes)

New York receives: SF Glenn Robinson (20.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 3.0 apg in 69 games)

SF Dion Glover (9.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.9 apg in 76 games)

Change in team outlook: +14.1 ppg, +6.4 rpg, and +0.4 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Atlanta and New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Atlanta and New York had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have been assigned Trade ID number 1099049

., or click here to try another trade between these teams

hmmm...this is interesting. Not because I like Spreewell but because he has better handles, and defense than GROB and can play the 2, moving IRA to the 3 and or a draft pick like Jarvis Hayes to the 3.

21 +grob+Glover=Spreewell, Jarvis Hayes (at #9). A good jumpshooter, 3 point shooter with better than average defense and although not stellar ballhandling or passing, better than Robinson.

Resign JT and you have.

JT/Dickau

Spreewell/Newble

Hayes/Crawford

Shareeff/Hendu

Ratliff/Mohammed

Bench - Maybe Demarr and whoever.

JT, Spree, Hayes, SAR can all shoot from the outside well

Spree, SAR and Theo can all post up.

I think You're on to something here and New York needs to drop Spree badly.

why?

because its very REASONABLE. It makes sense. Its fair.

We become more defensive minded, but thats okay... before GROB got here, Abdur-Rahim was our number 1 option.

GROB comes in, has very nice STATS his first week or two- and next thing u know... we're making him + shareef our number 1 options.

look at the stats, when SHAREEF gets lotta touches/scores a lot- we WIN!

I feel as if GROB is forcing the game to come. He doesnt play with the flow of the game. By the end of the night- he wants his statline. which is fine, hes doing a job and he wants to perform those numbers every night b/c thats whats gonna keep him in this league. But it seems as if winning is 2nd priority.

JT + SHAREEF can give us 40-50 ppg. RATLIFF + SPREWELL can give us 20-25 ppg. Im hoping Newble + 6th man can give us 15. The rest can give us garbage points...

next thing u know, we got chemistry and are winning. We're scoring between 80-90 ppg.

or even insert Diaw into that lineup if Hayes is gone...and you have two defensive minded players at the swing, and a D center. You've got a backcourt with decent range, a passing sf (or newble if diaw isn't ready). It just seems like a fit to me.

Tell me this, say Knick fans aren't satisfied...would you go:

(and this definitely warrants a trade in picks imo; Harrington has two years left on his contract).

Atlanta trades: SF Glenn Robinson (20.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 3.0 apg in 37.5 minutes)

C Nazr Mohammed (4.6 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 12.8 minutes)

Atlanta receives: SF Latrell Sprewell (16.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 4.5 apg in 38.6 minutes)

PF Othella Harrington (7.7 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 0.8 apg in 25.0 minutes)

Change in team outlook: -1.3 ppg, 0.0 rpg, and +2.1 apg.

New York trades: SF Latrell Sprewell (16.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 4.5 apg in 38.6 minutes)

PF Othella Harrington (7.7 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 0.8 apg in 25.0 minutes)

New York receives: SF Glenn Robinson (20.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 3.0 apg in 69 games)

C Nazr Mohammed (4.6 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 35 games)

Change in team outlook: +1.3 ppg, 0.0 rpg, and -2.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Atlanta and New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Atlanta and New York had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement

Yea,

I definitely think Layden and the Knicks are worried. That 9 spot is a tough one. Well almost any pick after the top 3 is a tough one, with all the un-certaintes involved with this draft. I wouldn't mind the Hawks doing that trade for Sprewell, I really don't know how much of a difference he could make on this team although he does play some good D which is something we need. Although if healthy I think I'd rather have Eddie Jones, just because he doesnt come with the reputation that Sprewell would bring with him. I really just want to see something done by this franchise in the off season to at least show we are trying to get better, wheter that be a trade tomm night, or not, is yet to be seen.

I agree, but Eddie carries with him the contract...and we dont' need that. You add in the fact that Spree "wants to win" in the abstract sense, and Reef "wants to win but is just like Rasheed Wallace, Webber, et al, that need someone wanting that shot," Spree's your man. I think Jones may have lost that mentality...and the contract. double whammie.

• Premium Member

The problem is this:

NY needs a PG and a C. Spreewell will probably be traded, but out of that trade, they will get a PG. I suspect, they will get Cassell/A. Mason for Spree. Draftwise, they probably will draft Kaman. However, I have heard that they might trade up to get Bosh (Toronto). And who knows what the plan is with McDyess.