• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Best sci fi flick that you saw that

frosgrim

you thought wouldn't be so good.

Just to change things up, at least for me, I thought I would start a friviouls thread.

Here are some sci-fi flicks that I thought would be bad but turned out to be enjoyable:

1) Dark City- this is great film noir. If you haven't seen it and like dark mystries and science fiction, then check this movie out. I don't want to say too much as the plot is complex but can unravel with hints.

2) 5th Element- yes its Bruce Willis with a French director, but this pic has everything action, comedy, and a kick-ass chick. Plus the story is sort of cool. If you haven't considered it, its a fable about the formation of the moon.

3) Serenity- I thought this would be a nothing movie. Turns out to be a fun sci-fi romp with good characters. The acting isn't very good, but there are some classic scenes in it.

Quote:

I was going to go with 5th Element as my #1 before I even saw it on your list
smile.gif

After that, I'd have to go with Equilibrium. Not that it was an especially great flick, but because my expectations were so low, I was 10 times more entertained than I expected to be.

My wife HATES the 5th Element, so if I want to watch the big TV alone, I just pop it in the DVD player-

I haven't seen Equilibrium- I will try to rent it soon. You got the idea of the thread. A movie you expected to suck, but was actually OK thumb3d.gif

I thought the 5th element would be good. it has the greatest character actor ever in it. Gary Oldman as Jean- Emanuel Babtiste Zorg. If you are familiar with his work, it's a delightful movie to see him in.

I absolutely love Galaxy Quest.

Starship Troopers, too. It's awesome. I mean, seriously. It's a giant space bug movie. What do you want?

I'm a Resident Evil fan, too. The movie was fairly faithful to the game and Mila is just soo hot.

In honor of The Swayze - Anyone ever see the worst sci-fi ever almost. It's called Steel Dawn. Check it out.

• Moderators

Quote:

In honor of The Swayze - Anyone ever see the worst sci-fi ever almost. It's called Steel Dawn. Check it out.

Worse than Battlefield Earth?

I am not a huge fan of the 5th Element. It is watchable.

• Moderators

Quote:

That definitely exceeded my expectations.

A big hit that really exceeded my expectations was actually the Matrix. I didn't know anything about it going in and was pretty well blown away.

Ditto on the Matrix. I think that has to be near the top of everyones list. I didn't even see it in theaters because I thought it would be another Johnny Mnemonic and I wasn't going to get burned again by another lame Nanu nanu Reeves movie.

Quote:

I thought the 5th element would be good. it has the greatest character actor ever in it. Gary Oldman as Jean- Emanuel Babtiste Zorg. If you are familiar with his work, it's a delightful movie to see him in.

Starship Troopers, too. It's awesome. I mean, seriously. It's a giant space bug movie. What do you want?

I'm a Resident Evil fan, too. The movie was fairly faithful to the game and Mila is just soo hot.

Perfect list!

Starship Troopers is one of my favorites too.

God, Steel Dawn was horrid.

But I agree that Battlefield Earth was even worse.

There was a 3d sci-fi movie that came out when I was like 12 or 13, I think it was called Starhunter or some crap. Now THAT was an awful movie.

• Admin

I have to agree about 5th Element, Galaxy Quest, Serenity and the Matrix

here some more:

Aliens

Terminator and T2

Minority Report ( a very underrated movie)

Total Recall

Star Trek 2: the Wrath of Kahn (I am not a ST fan but I loved this movie)

I know we have been leaving out Star Wars but c'mon (not including the new 3, you have to include the originals ...well if you can just forget about the ewoks).

Quote:

BF Earth is probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen. ANother terrible sci fi movie is sphere. WTF was that all about? At the end they decide to forget. I wish I was able to forget that movie too!

It was an adaptation of a novel written by the founder of scientology, made by a bunch of scientologist actors, to funnel money to scientology. That's what that was all about.

• 3 weeks later...