• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

HEY WOODSON: TRY A NEW STARTING 5!!!!!!!!

GTfan44

Our current starting 5 obviously isn't winning games, so let's switch it up.

Start Horford Smoove Mario JJ Bibby/Acie

Give Marvin 15 minutes a night to try PROVE if he deserves to play.

Starting Mario is a brilliant idea. If he had been on T-Mac all night last night, we probably would have won. No one here can deny the tenacious Defense this guy plays. I might even start Salim over Bibby at this point.

It seems Bibby just decides to catch fire in easier games or games involving no defense. It's unfathomable that someone who took his team to the WCF so many years ago, can't even make an open layup in a home game of incredible importance.

Again, START MARIO at SF or SG (Put him on the BETTER SG/SF on the other team), and watch the results.

Of course, Woodshed will stick with his usual tweener starting 5, and Marvin will play 40 minutes, get his 14 points on 4-10 shooting and 6 FT's, and we'll lose.

I agree 100%

Screw Marvin and Chillz until they PROVE they can play and out of their colletive funk.

Some people say start ZaZa.... What are yall smoking ? ZaZa sucks !

I like the line up of:

Bibby

West

JJ

Smith

Horford

West's energy and defense rubbed off on the team last night.

Quote:

Starting Mario is a brilliant idea. If he had been on T-Mac all night last night, we probably would have won.

Yeah....6'8" with rise vs 6'5"....hmmm....I can see the light going on above Tmacs head right now....POST TOASTIES!!! He would destroy mario on the block easy buckets all night you are out of your head.

Again, START MARIO at SF or SG (Put him on the BETTER SG/SF on the other team), and watch the results.

How can you even talk with Mario's basketBALLS in your mouth like that....it wouldn't have anything to do with the "GTfan" part of your account name would it??

The team is 8 players deep and probably only 2-3 deep on a consistent basis. Until we add 2-3 more quality bench players we will continue to struggle. This team is going to get worse and worse as the year goes on because they can't play an entire game without being worn down by every team that has superior depth. Almost every game recently has seen our starters outplay the other teams starters in the 1st half but then we get bombed in the 2nd half and when our bench players are in there.

Quote:

Marvin will play 40 minutes, get his 14 points on 4-10 shooting and 6 FT's, and we'll lose.

So... %40 shooting is bad then? You must hate JJ, and Josh S. They both have a lower shooting % than Marvin this year. Here's the kicker, THEY SHOOT MORE.

The Hawks need to get the ball into Marvin's hands more often. Make the opposition realize that he can score and that it might not be a good idea to pull someone off him to double-team Joe.

My point is that Marvin can score, for whatever reason, he just doesn't take the number of shots necessary for him to put up JS and JJ numbers. I don't know the reason why he doesn't take more shots, this is something I'll have to watch for in the next game.

thats partially on woody because he doesnt let his subs get consistent minutes and get in a groove out there. I think AC, Salim, J-Rich and even Mario can all contribute if given consistent burn...which means more than 30 seconds at a time.

The low block is a disaster though. Zaza is awful and Horf is not a 5 obviously. Then you have BK's dream of a bunch of 6'8"s that arent big enough to get on the block and bang but dont fit on the perimeter either....

Many here thought we needed another shooter. We got Bibby who is a shooter and point and so far we are looking worse. I'm sure most of it is just that we have lost our confidence but we do have to turn it around.

I agree that we need to change our starters and that player needs to be a role player that helps our defense. In my mind, that player needs to be Acie. Start Acie with our current starters. He's not as good as Bibby yet but close but with more defense and more attacking the rim. That also will bet Bibby on the court later in the quarter with the backups and maybe give Woody a chance to feel that he can rest JJ.

I actually did like the use of Mario last night on TMac. That's exactly how I'd use Mario, put him in to hound opposing team's SGs and give JJ some rest on defense. I wouldn't play him at all many games so by no means would I start him.

I'd actually use Salim and Solo similarly, give them alot of burn in games where they matchup well. No PT at all many games. Woody not using Salim more in the second Golden State game was ridiculous in my mind after what he did the first game.

I have been saying all year that Acie should be starting and i believe that even now. Yeah i know his hand is hurting but his legs are fine which means he can still play D and drive. His shooting might be off but that won't be anything new. At least he can break down the defense.

Height isn't the biggest issue. Did you not watch the Mavs/Rockets playoff series in 2005 when T-Mac was shutting down Nowitzki?

Mario has his hands all over the place and did a fine job on T-Mac the first time these two teams played in February

Quote:

Did you not watch the Mavs/Rockets playoff series in 2005 when T-Mac was shutting down Nowitzki?

Tmac > West

west is a liability on O. He does not space the floor and is not a threat to score. Not good on a team that can't score in the half court

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Did you not watch the Mavs/Rockets playoff series in 2005 when T-Mac was shutting down Nowitzki?

Tmac > West

west is a liability on O. He does not space the floor and is not a threat to score. Not good on a team that can't score in the half court

West isn't that big of a liability on O. The guy scores baskets off of energy and hustle. It's time for us to dump the smoke and mirrors of "potential" and play guys that WANT to play. I'm tired of watching these guys stagger around tired when we are among the younger teams out there. We need energy right now. West should play more. Richardson should play more. Acie should play more if he can ratchet his game back up to where it was right before his wrist injury. Salim should play more if he can channel his enthusiasm like he has the past few games. We need to get a sports psychiatrist in here to talk to Pachulia so he can find his game. We need a shakeup period. I know the coaching is bad but the players have to have some personal pride for goodness sakes. This team IS better than what we've seen the past few games.

Quote:

We need to get a sports psychiatrist in here to talk to Pachulia so he can find his game.

John Wooden couldn't get anything out of Z. You can't coach (in)ability.

Quote:

This team IS better than what we've seen the past few games.

Appreciate the enthusiasm but not sure I am with you on that one. I, like many HSers, am starting to realize the huge flaws present on this roster.

• Premium Member

I honestly believe that we should be more competitive on a nightly basis. I was discussing this with my brother after last night's game. We NEVER win when it comes down to coaching. We get out coached EVERY single time. The last three minutes of last night's game was evidence of that. We had no halfcourt offense. We switched to zone for some strange reason when man to man was more effective. We allowed known 3pt shooters space on the perimeter. We gave the game away after keeping it close all night. True, execution had something to do with it too, but better coaching would work wonders for the team as it is built right now.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I have been saying all year that Acie should be starting and i believe that even now. Yeah i know his hand is hurting but his legs are fine which means he can still play D and drive. His shooting might be off but that won't be anything new. At least he can break down the defense.

The team never looks better than when Acie is out there and is having a good game... You'd think he would get a shot at some more playing time considering he was a top ten pick and we've gone 11-26 in our last 37.