The Battier Procedure

Johnnybravo4

If you watched the Rockets vs. Lakers on Sunday Battier guarded Kobe in a way I have never seen before. Instead of trying to block his shot, Battier simply put his hand in Kobe's face everytime he tried to shoot a jumper. It was a brilliant defensive technique. Could you imagine if our long armed team had a similar technique, Between the Joshes and Horford, we'd have the #1 defense in the league.

unsportsmanlike? must be talking about 2 different things, coaches will tell you to get a hand in his face, I missed the game they are talking about, but if you jump and get your hand in front of the shooter, good chance to distract him and not get a foul called on you, especially if it is Kobe

Quote:

unsportsmanlike? you never heard of get a hand in his face? Doing that is a very well coached player, and less likely to get a foul called on someone like Kobe, who the refs will call a foul if you try to jump w/ him and block his shot, and he happens to miss it.

There is a huge difference between "getting a hand in his face" and face guarding. Getting a hand in their face means closely contesting the shot. Face guarding is actually covering their eyes/face with your hands. Read the article linked above. It's dangerous and dirty and there's no place for it in this blessed game.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

unsportsmanlike? you never heard of get a hand in his face? Doing that is a very well coached player, and less likely to get a foul called on someone like Kobe, who the refs will call a foul if you try to jump w/ him and block his shot, and he happens to miss it.

There is a huge difference between "getting a hand in his face" and face guarding. Getting a hand in their face means closely contesting the shot. Face guarding is actually covering their eyes/face with your hands. Read the article linked above. It's dangerous and dirty and there's no place for it in this blessed game.

It is interesting that face guarding is expressly banned in HS, NCAA and FIBA basketball but not in the NBA, though. I wonder what the reason is for the different rule?

Come On ! Players have been getting a" hand in the face " forever. It is taught to 7 year olds in every YMCA in the country. How many time have you heard a commentator like, Dicky V., say: "Well, all you can do vs. that shot is get a hand in their face ?" .

Bowen does it reguarly vs. Dirk. When matched vs. Dirk, Bowen has no prayer of coming close to actualy effecting his shot if he didn't get his hand in his face.

Dumars vs. Jordan.......same thing. That is how you guard a guy who elevates really high on jumpers. Its all you can do.

Have none of you notice opposing player do this vs. JJ ? Hawks players do it on occaison but it seems so random that its likely more luck then design.

Quote:

Pippen used to do the same thing. I remember seeing a picture of him with his hand maybe half an inch from the guys nose when his man was shooting a jumper.

Good call on Pippen. He was pretty famous for it. After all, he saw players do it to Jordan every night. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

It's funny, but it should be banned. If you think it is legit, then it should be legit regardless of whether the player is shooting or not. So all 5 defensive players should try to keep their hands in front of their man's eyes all play long, every play. The other team will have a much harder time seeing what's going on and running a play. I'm not sure it leads to better basketball.

NEVERTHELESS, while it's legal, LET'S MASTER IT ASAP!

Quote:

It is a brilliant move...It is probably banned in those other leagues because it actually works and if everyone did it it would cause a drop in offensive production leaguewide. I am going to Run N' Shoot today and try it out.

You're right it's brilliant. Better yet, why doesn't everyone just play with blindfolds on. russian.gif

It's about as brilliant as throwing up the white flag. I can tell many posters on here have never played basketball.

Quote:

Come On ! Players have been getting a" hand in the face " forever. It is taught to 7 year olds in every YMCA in the country. How many time have you heard a commentator like, Dicky V., say: "Well, all you can do vs. that shot is get a hand in their face ?" .

Bowen does it reguarly vs. Dirk. When matched vs. Dirk, Bowen has no prayer of coming close to actualy effecting his shot if he didn't get his hand in his face.

Dumars vs. Jordan.......same thing. That is how you guard a guy who elevates really high on jumpers. Its all you can do.

Have none of you notice opposing player do this vs. JJ ? Hawks players do it on occaison but it seems so random that its likely more luck then design.

"Hand in the face" is a metaphor, unlike face guarding which is covering a player's eyes/face as opposed to contesting their shot. This thread is silly. pillepalle.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It is interesting that face guarding is expressly banned in HS, NCAA and FIBA basketball but not in the NBA, though. I wonder what the reason is for the different rule?

Face guarding is when you are hovering over your man, paying no attention to the ball itself.

Getting a hand in the face is totally different. I really don't see how anyone who knows the game at any level could confuse the two like Jb and Plasticman are doing.

It's funny that JB just realized what defense was. lol!

• Premium Member

Quote:

That tactic needs to be banned from the NBA. It SCREAMS "we are pathetic and can't stop you". Here's a thought--why not actually play solid fundamental team defense.

Interesting
article here.

Banned.

If you want to ban it, then you need to ban the current practices of Refs. Kobe can get any call at any time. Most of the time, guys like Kobe (James too) initiates the contact with the defender and the ref bails them out. So if it's just a guy who is fast enough to not get touched by Kobe putting a hand in his face... It's brilliant defense.

Quote:

Quote:

"Hand in the face" is a metaphor, unlike face guarding which is covering a player's eyes/face as opposed to contesting their shot. This thread is silly. pillepalle.gif

"hand in the face" is in no way a metaphor. You are 100% wrong and must not have ever really played or had a coach for any length of time to say that. You do everything you can to stop your opponent from scoring. If you can't block the shot, you block the eyes. The defender can make any motion he wants so long as he does not strike the ball handler.

I'm totally amazed that there is any confusion on this.

Quote:

"hand in the face" is in no way a metaphor. You are 100% wrong and must not have ever really played or had a coach for any length of time to say that. You do everything you can to stop your opponent from scoring. If you can't block the shot, you block the eyes. The defender can make any motion he wants so long as he does not strike the ball handler.

So you didn't read the article posted above either? I'm not talking "face guarding" like the NFL.

Quote:

Quote:

So you didn't read the article posted above either? I'm not talking "face guarding" like the NFL.

It's the same concept.

Honestly, the hand and face may be a foot apart while shooting. And you're in motion. A defender may beholding any given space and has to react accordingly. A ref can't make that judgement call 100+ times a game. It's idiotic. Are you saying you have to be able to make a play on the ball or get the foul trying to do so, just to play defense? The thought is absurd to me.

Quote:

Quote:

OK. I read it for exactly 1.5 seconds and... here you go:

Quote:

Face guarding has been illegal in all levels of basketball since 1913. In the rule books, face guarding is found under “Unsportsmanlike Acts,” and a technical foul is supposed to be assessed for it. Face guarding is explicitly mentioned in the high school rule book, the NCAA rule book, the FIBA rule book, but is somewhat of a grey area in the NBA rule book (eye guarding is not face guarding).

What does it say at the end there? lol!