• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody finally has the right idea-bench marvin

devinbobo35

Quote:

. . . that INSISTED that Woody run MORE of the offense through Marvin back in December, when he was our most consistent offensive player?

Back in November, people wanted Smoove traded.

In December, everything was all good.

In January, JJ was on the Hawksquawk trading block.

February, it was Childress.

Now that March is here, it's Marvin's turn to feel the ire of the Squawk.

I guess Bibby will be the target in April.

Marvin has always been my primary target, and probably always will be. I've never switched gears and tried to trade other players. Marvin just flat out needs to go.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

It would be flat out crazy for us to trade Marvin for anything other than a talented young player or a very high lottery pick since Marvin still has a world of potential and has gotten better every year..

Marvin hasn't gotten better, his jumpshot has gotten slightly better every year. He still can't dribble, can't post up, can't finish inside, and can't create his own shot at all. The ONLY thing he's done is make his jumpers more consistently, and recently he can't even do that. He's playing like rookie Marvin.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

It would be flat out crazy for us to trade Marvin for anything other than a talented young player or a very high lottery pick since Marvin still has a world of potential and has gotten better every year..

Marvin hasn't gotten better, his jumpshot has gotten slightly better every year. He still can't dribble, can't post up, can't finish inside, and can't create his own shot at all. The ONLY thing he's done is make his jumpers more consistently, and recently he can't even do that. He's playing like rookie Marvin.

2008 Marvin post All Star break (18 games)

11.2 PPG, 5.6 RPG, 1.4 APG, 0% 3PFG%, 43% FG%,

2006 Marvin post All Star break (30 games)

11.1 PPG, 5.4 RPG, 0.8 APG, 067% 3PFG%, 47% FG%

Yeah, pretty much.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, pretty much.

My point exactly, yes, his overall numbers have gotten better every year, but it's pretty much just because of an increase in minutes. He hasn't added ONE thing to his game in the past 2 years. I would love it if someone would name ONE thing that he has added to his game in his 3 years here.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, pretty much.

My point exactly, yes, his overall numbers have gotten better every year, but it's pretty much just because of an increase in minutes. He hasn't added ONE thing to his game in the past 2 years. I would love it if someone would name ONE thing that he has added to his game in his 3 years here.

His numbers actually took a pretty sharp dip his second year... This year he is back up to putting up his Rookie numbers.

I made a thread about this before... If you look at his PER there has been virtually no improvement from year 1 to year 3... Something I find very concerning.

Quote:

He has a whopping 0.5 more MPG this year.

He's a better scorer and rebounder this year even despite the collapse in his play in the 2nd half of the season

He's shown more flashes of brilliance this year with the best games of his career this season.

It was no secret going into the draft that Marvin Williams was a guy who was going to take 3-4 years to develop. Dude hadn't started a game since HS and was very raw offensively.

He's still the youngest player on the team and has made strides this year in his 2nd year as a starter.

Next year will be very telling about his progression. But of course that's eons away and it will probably be hundreds of Marvin bashing threads in between now and then

Quote:

I love Marvin, I'm one of his biggest suppourters, but if we can trade him for Brook Lopez I'm all for that deal!

C B.Lopez

PF Horford

SF Smoove

SG Joe

PG Bibby

very balanced line-up

Very dumb lineup.

Lopez isn't a better defender at C than Horford and Josh Smith is not a 3.

It takes him away from what he does best on both ends of the floor while highlighting his weaknesses.

your looking more at the weakness than the positive. one Lopez is a better defender than Horford, as great as Horford is at defense, Lopez defense has been compared to Duncun at the same stage. He's great at timing his blocks, and is NEVER pushed around on the post. Than your able to move Horford to the PF spot, where he'll thrive more, than at center. Smoove might not be at his best at SF, but quite frankly I rather have a Lopez/Horford/Smoove frontcourt than a Horford/Smoove/Marvin frontcourt. I love Marvin and he's my favorite player on the team, but if I had to pick between him and Lopez...I gotta go with the big guy.

Quote:

your looking more at the weakness than the positive. one Lopez is a better defender than Horford, as great as Horford is at defense, Lopez defense has been compared to Duncun at the same stage. He's great at timing his blocks, and is NEVER pushed around on the post. Than your able to move Horford to the PF spot, where he'll thrive more, than at center. Smoove might not be at his best at SF, but quite frankly I rather have a Lopez/Horford/Smoove frontcourt than a Horford/Smoove/Marvin frontcourt. I love Marvin and he's my favorite player on the team, but if I had to pick between him and Lopez...I gotta go with the big guy.

Josh Smith at the 3 is more out of position than Horford at the 5.

Josh Smith at the 3 means being taken off the dribble more often on defense, less rebounding and help defense around the basket.

It also means more dribbling, 3 pointers, and mid range jumpers.

It's terrible on both ends of the floor literally highlighting his weaknesses and masking his strengths.

Meanwhile Horford can be a very formidable 5 especailly if he adds 15-20 pounds.

With a Marvin/Smoove/Horford front court you have 3 guys in the front court who can rebound and push the ball up the floor. Most athletic starting lineup in the league

And it maximizes the ability of the players to play at their strengths

Quote:

Quote:

He has a whopping 0.5 more MPG this year.

He's a better scorer and rebounder this year even despite the collapse in his play in the 2nd half of the season

He's shown more flashes of brilliance this year with the best games of his career this season.

It was no secret going into the draft that Marvin Williams was a guy who was going to take 3-4 years to develop. Dude hadn't started a game since HS and was very raw offensively.

He's still the youngest player on the team and has made strides this year in his 2nd year as a starter.

Next year will be very telling about his progression. But of course that's eons away and it will probably be hundreds of Marvin bashing threads in between now and then

Please name ONE thing that Marvin has improved upon offensively except slightly improving his midrange jumper. Name ONE thing that he's added to his offensive repertoire in the last two years, just one.

Guest Walter

Quote:

When did Marvin say he needed an assistant coach to call him out to get him working this offseason?

He said he was playing full court and lifting in the off-season when a Hawk assistant coach told him to begin "working on his game" or something to that effect. These were his own words in a preseason interview. Anyone recall the actual thread or link?

W

Quote:

Quote:

I love Marvin, I'm one of his biggest suppourters, but if we can trade him for Brook Lopez I'm all for that deal!

C B.Lopez

PF Horford

SF Smoove

SG Joe

PG Bibby

very balanced line-up

Very dumb lineup.

Lopez isn't a better defender at C than Horford and Josh Smith is not a 3.

It takes him away from what he does best on both ends of the floor while highlighting his weaknesses.

There's 96 minutes to go around at pf/c. You could work it so smoove still got a lot of pf minutes. Plus, you could give Zaza's backup center minutes to smith. I don't know how great Smith is at center, but he can't do much worse.

Quote:

Quote:

When did Marvin say he needed an assistant coach to call him out to get him working this offseason?

He said he was playing full court and lifting in the off-season when a Hawk assistant coach told him to begin "working on his game" or something to that effect. These were his own words in a preseason interview. Anyone recall the actual thread or link?

W

Oh yeah, I DEFINITELY remember it but I don't feel like finding it right now. You are definitely on the right track as to what he said though.

Quote:

LOL Ex. Always stirring the pot.

People get mad at Marvin because he is content with acepting his role, instead of trying to do more than he's used to doing. Those same people go crazy when Smoove tries to do more than what he should be doing.

The thing is that i think a few of Marvin's recent bad games have been exacerbated specifically because he was trying to be more aggressive. When you are having a bad night but stay aggressive a 3-9 night can turn into a 3-14 night.

Like tonight JJ was 7 for 24. He knew he was off but felt he had to stay aggressive. If he had more trust in the rest of the team (other than Bibby) there is no way he would have taken 24 shots.

I am sure you know by now i am not really a fan of Marvin. But the hate he has gotten here is ridiculous. And those same people who pile onto Marvin after a bad game never have a cross word for Childress no matter how bad he plays.

Quote:

People get mad at Marvin because he is content with acepting his role, instead of trying to do more than he's used to doing. Those same people go crazy when Smoove tries to do more than what he should be doing.

It's just ironic to me that with Marvin it's "content with accepting his role" while with Childress he's somehow bringing incredible intangibles that don't show up in the numbers. Childress was an EXTREMELY high draft pick. Not as high as #2, but are #6 draft picks just supposed to be scrappy guys coming off the bench?

They've both been disappointments, face it. The question is, do either of them offer the potential to become much better than they are now?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

It's just ironic to me that with Marvin it's "content with accepting his role" while with Childress he's somehow bringing incredible intangibles that don't show up in the numbers. Childress was an EXTREMELY high draft pick. Not as high as #2, but are #6 draft picks just supposed to be scrappy guys coming off the bench?

They've both been disappointments, face it. The question is, do either of them offer the potential to become much better than they are now?

It's year 4 for Childress and Year 3 for Marvin playing the easiest position on the floor to play.

POTENTIAL IS DEAD...

Right now, what you have is what you have.

Therefore, what we have in Marvin is a guy who could do better but doesn't.

In Childress, we have a guy who does better than he's supposed to do.