You Pick the 8 man rotation.

Diesel

I would actually go with a 9 man rotation...our current starting lineup is too small. So I would start:

Bibby

Joe Johnson

Josh Smith

Hortford

Zaza Pachulia

and the bench would consist of:

Marvin Williams(who i am a fan of but i think he would benefit from this)

Childress

Acie Law

Solomon/Stoudamire(depending on what we need for that night..shooter or big man)

Quote:

I would actually go with a 9 man rotation...our current starting lineup is too small. So I would start:

Bibby

Joe Johnson

Josh Smith

Hortford

Zaza Pachulia

and the bench would consist of:

Marvin Williams(who i am a fan of but i think he would benefit from this)

Childress

Acie Law

Solomon/Stoudamire(depending on what we need for that night..shooter or big man)

That starting rotation will not work. Smith isn't an outside threat and putting him at the 3 would make him only heft up more jumpers. If you have Zaza and Horford on the court at the same time you have to have Marvin or JJ at the 3, and if you put JJ at the 3 you really need to have Richardson at the 2. Z and Horf need room to work. You surround post players with shooters.

I voted for the Hawks staying with the current starting line-up, with Acie, Z, and Chilz off the bench. That said, Richardson or West need to be the 9th man and get around 10 minutes a game.

This all assumes we are talking about this year, and right now, which isn't specified in the poll...

• Premium Member

Of about 18-19 people voting, 16 people said yes to Acie being in the 8 man rotation?

only 2 wanted Salim.

Somebody wanted Speedy.

Which brings an interesting thought.

IF Speedy was 90 - 100% healthy, where does he go?

I guess he replaces Acie...

If Speedy were healthy, we don't trade for Bibby. But seeing that he is here now, you're right. A healthy Speedy would play in front of Acie.

You could also make a case for a Speedy - Law backcourt of the bench. Defensively, that would be a pretty good backcourt to insert into a game. Too bad Speedy isn't well enough to play during the playoffs.

The people that flat out wasted their vote by selecting Salim, Jeremy, West or Speedy as the starter, instead of being in that 8 man rotation coming off the bench.

It's nice to see that the vast majority of Hawksquawk agrees with Woody on the rotation.

you're right and thats why I think Josh Smith should work on his outside shot more this offseason. He showed that he can hit the 15 footers but he needs to start working on 18-20 feet and also hitting the 15 footers more consistantly. He is too small to be a PF...his athleticism doesnt make up for that because guys like Tim Duncan, Amare, Garnett, and Gasol aint intimidated by it like others and therefore will have a field day when they go up against Josh. But if he improves his range, I make him the SF and make MW our 6th man and start Zaza's at C and Hortford at PF. Zaza's numbers could be alot better if he played more..he does some nice things out there that go unnoticed...he actually boxes out instead of trying to outjump everyone and is a decent low post defender to. And on offense, he's shown us some post moves too..i dont think this would be a bad lineup against the Celts if we play them in the playoffs

Quote:

you're right and thats why I think Josh Smith should work on his outside shot more this offseason. He showed that he can hit the 15 footers but he needs to start working on 18-20 feet and also hitting the 15 footers more consistantly. He is too small to be a PF...his athleticism doesnt make up for that because guys like Tim Duncan, Amare, Garnett, and Gasol aint intimidated by it like others and therefore will have a field day when they go up against Josh. But if he improves his range, I make him the SF and make MW our 6th man and start Zaza's at C and Hortford at PF. Zaza's numbers could be alot better if he played more..he does some nice things out there that go unnoticed...he actually boxes out instead of trying to outjump everyone and is a decent low post defender to. And on offense, he's shown us some post moves too..i dont think this would be a bad lineup against the Celts if we play them in the playoffs

Zaza has regressed this year. I don't know why, but his defense has always been below average, but this year its just plain bad.

Its not just Smith's outside shot that is a problem. Its his lack of handles and poor decision making that make me very hesitant about putting him at the 3. Furthermore, guys like Paul Pierce, Gerrald Wallace, and Richard Jefferson are all too quick off the dribble for Smith.

Josh is more suited for the PF. Yes, he will struggle vs. the really big PF like Duncan, but he should be fine against similar sized PFs like Amare, and most, if not all the guys he faces in the East.

For these reasons, Josh's best position is PF. There are things he must work on there, but he's only 22 and can become a much improved post player on both ends of the court.

Quote:

I cant believe someone picked Speedy!!
smack.gif

I would rather bring old, worn out retired players like Smitty, Willis, and Craig Ehlo, than play dl scrubs like Jones and J.R

Thanks for the b_tch slap. I was the second vote for Speedy, based on the assumption that he was healthy and the timing was now. I'd rather have him backing up the point than Acie going down the stretch and into the playoffs. If Acie gains some confidence, as I suspect he will next year (or hopefully down the stretch this year since Speedy isn't healthy and we'll have to rely on him), I'd put him in front of Speedy.

• Premium Member

Bibby, JJ, MW, JS, and Horf

with

Acie, CHillz, and Zaza off the bench.

I think it's good to get Acie some time before the playoffs to build up his confidence and although somebody believes that Zaza sucks, I think lately, Zaza has fit in very nicely. I think he compliments Horf and in the playoffs, we will need that.

Quote:

Which I find terribly ironic considering how much hate he gets for his rotation.

The offensive turn around Bibby has done for this team with the lack of bench support shows how tied Woodys hands truely were in reality. If he still had another year left on his deal he would be coming back no question. Since his contract is up it is tough to give him another long term committment.

However, a good showing in the playoffs could still save his a**. Especially if BK is gone and Brown is the new GM. But not so fast !

The off season will be very interesting.

Atlanta could turn into "THE HOTTEST NEW COACHING OPPURTUNITY IN THE NBA." The West is loaded with talent so a rebuild is pretty tough over there. Meanwhile the East is weak and the Hawks could be the hottest, youngest, and most talented up and coming team in the east with a coaching vacancy. The Pistons and Celtics will be old and done in 2 more years. Lebron will be a free agent in 2 more years. The door is open for the Hawks to be major contenders with the right coach to maximize team development. We could have our pick from a laundry list of well qualified former head coaches.