8 things a team needs to win Game 1 on the road

TheNorthCydeRises

1) Your star player has to play like a SUPERSTAR

Back in 2000, in the Lakers vs Sixers series, almost everyone predicted that the Lakers would have no problem and sweep the Sixers in 4 games. They did win 4 straight to win the title, but the Sixers shocked the world and won Game 1. Iverson dropped 48 points ( by taking 41 shots ) on the Lakers that night.

For the Hawks to have any chance in Game 1, or in any game this series, JJ must turn into what I call "Joe-zilla", the superstar version of JJ that terrorizes people like Godzilla used to do to Tokyo. He must be a DOMINANT offensive performer with his scoring and with his playmaking ability. We're going to need 25 - 30 points plus 6 - 10 assists from JJ to win a game or two . . or possibly more. He has to be the best or the 2nd best player on the floor at all times. If he disappears shooting wise, we'll get blown out. If he plays great, and does the unthinkable and leads us to beat the Celtics in the series, he should be forever known as The Boston Strangler.

2) In the playoffs, games tend to slow down, so you MUST execute in the halfcourt offense.

The defense gets hella tight when the playoffs come around. Execution in your halfcourt offense is MANDATORY this time of year. Fortunately with Bibby, that has been less of a problem than it was before the All-Star break. JJ's ability to find the open man, and especially a shooter like Bibby, enables us to get good looks at the basket. Of course, we don't want Smith settling for jumpers that Boston gives him. We'd rather see him attacking the rim and forcing KG or Perkins to make a play on him. Don't be surprised if you see Horford handle the ball a little more in the high post area, and see the offense run through him. For a big man, he has pretty good vision and can find the open jumpshooter.

3) You MUST rebound the basketball, especially on the defensive boards, to prevent 2nd chance points.

This is a reoccuring problem with this Hawks team. We can play great defense and get a stop, only to see a long rebound go back to our opponent. It happens way too many times with this team. The commitment to secure defensive rebounds should be paramount in Game 1. And while we love to run, you have to make sure you have the ball first, before you run. I really don't want to see any 6 rebound efforts from Smoove or Marvin only grab 3 - 4 rebounds. Those cats MUST hit the boards.

As my sig says via the great Pat Summitt: Offense sells tickets . . Defense wins games . . Rebounding wins championships..

4) Someone may have to sacrifice some of their offensive game, in order to be a force on the defensive end

Offense is nice, but you must play defense in the playoffs. You can't get caught up in just scoring, while not exerting effort to play defense on the other end. For the Hawks, the obvious choice would be for Josh Smith to really make his presence known on defense, before looking to get a lot of points on offense. It would be no surprise to see him change his mindset a little. A guy that may have to do it though, is Marvin Williams. He's the guy that's going to be matched up against both Paul Pierce and sometimes KG. A decent defensive showing against both guys, can keep the Hawks in the game.

5) Someone unexpected has to make a huge impact on the game, not just play their normal game.

With the Hawks going virtually 7 deep, we pretty much expect those 7 guys to do their thing. So an unexpected event could be Marvin starting the 1st half red hot . . like 7 - 8 FG. Or Horford going toe-to-toe with KG and getting a double-double in that first half. Or a Zaza being able to score and get a few key "and-1's" against the Celtics' frontline in the 2nd half. Or Chill's ability to get to the hole, creating easy baskets for us to keep us in striking distance or extend a lead. But if he plays, it may be Salim and his ability to knock down shots in a short timespan.

6) Can the coach direct a player to exploit a mismatch?

When the Hawks go big, and put a . . . JJ, Chill, Marvin, Smoove, Horford lineup in the game, can the Hawks use that matchup to exploit possible mismatches. Rondo is a great perimeter defender, but there is no way in hell he can defend a 6-7 . . 240 JJ down on the block, or even a 6-8 Chill down there. Conversely, they may try to do the exact same thing to a Salim, if he were to enter a game. A lot of times in the playoffs, a game is won or lost based on which team can exploit a mismatch. It's the one area of strategy ( or adjustments ) that people say that Woody is the weakest in. If that's the case, it will be HIGHLY VISIBLE in the playoffs, and the commentators will either rip him or prasie him for what he does.

7) On the road, you MUST make your free throws. And you must make virtually ALL OF THEM in the 4th quarter.

The biggest way to stop momentum or extend a lead, is to get to the FT line and make your damn free throws. When you look at that Boston game last Saturday, Boston shot 26 - 29 from the line. We shot 15 - 24 from the line. As Obi-Wan-GrayMule always points out . . . YOU MUST MAKE THOSE FREE THROWS!! On the road in a playoff game, you can't afford to leave any points off the board.

8) Who is willing to commit that one hard "playoff foul" on the other team's "star" player, that sets the tone for the series?

It happens in every series. It's either an intentional foul, or just a bad looking foul in which someone goes hard after a player, but is out of control when they go after him. On past great squads, you knew that guys like Charles Oakley, Kurt Rambis, Anthony Mason, Dennis Rodman, or a Bill Laimbeer wouldn't mind at all giving up that type of foul.

In today's "soft" NBA, that foul can get you ejected or suspended if you don't go after the ball. But it is still a necessity in playoff basketball. So the question is . . . who will commit that hard foul on a KG or a Pierce as they go to the hole?

If we still had Lorenzen Wright, or even a Shelden Williams, I'd say one of those 2 guys would do it, especially Lo.

But right now, I say it will be ZaZa. Horford is definitely willing to do it, but he's too important to what we do here. ZaZa is the guy who is big enough to commit a hard foul on somebody, just to let the Celtics know that "We're not f-----g around with you cats. We're not going to just lay down and die for you. We came to play!" That should be ZaZa's role . . . be the banger. If you foul, make it a "GOOD" FOUL.

• Premium Member

Quote:

1) Your star player has to play like a SUPERSTAR

Back in 2000, in the Lakers vs Sixers series, almost everyone predicted that the Lakers would have no problem and sweep the Sixers in 4 games. They did win 4 straight to win the title, but the Sixers shocked the world and won Game 1. Iverson dropped 48 points ( by taking 41 shots ) on the Lakers that night.

For the Hawks to have any chance in Game 1, or in any game this series, JJ must turn into what I call
"Joe-zilla"
, the superstar version of JJ that terrorizes people like Godzilla used to do to Tokyo. He must be a DOMINANT offensive performer with his scoring and with his playmaking ability. We're going to need 25 - 30 points plus 6 - 10 assists from JJ to win a game or two . . or possibly more. He has to be the best or the 2nd best player on the floor at all times. If he disappears shooting wise, we'll get blown out. If he plays great, and does the unthinkable and leads us to beat the Celtics in the series, he should be forever known as
The Boston Strangler

2) In the playoffs, games tend to slow down, so you MUST execute in the halfcourt offense.

The defense gets hella tight when the playoffs come around. Execution in your halfcourt offense is MANDATORY this time of year. Fortunately with Bibby, that has been less of a problem than it was before the All-Star break. JJ's ability to find the open man, and especially a shooter like Bibby, enables us to get good looks at the basket. Of course, we don't want Smith settling for jumpers that Boston gives him. We'd rather see him attacking the rim and forcing KG or Perkins to make a play on him. Don't be surprised if you see Horford handle the ball a little more in the high post area, and see the offense run through him. For a big man, he has pretty good vision and can find the open jumpshooter.

3) You MUST rebound the basketball, especially on the defensive boards, to prevent 2nd chance points.

This is a reoccuring problem with this Hawks team. We can play great defense and get a stop, only to see a long rebound go back to our opponent. It happens way too many times with this team. The commitment to secure defensive rebounds should be paramount in Game 1. And while we love to run, you have to make sure you have the ball first, before you run. I really don't want to see any 6 rebound efforts from Smoove or Marvin only grab 3 - 4 rebounds. Those cats MUST hit the boards.

As my sig says via the great Pat Summitt:
Offense sells tickets . . Defense wins games . . Rebounding wins championships.

4) Someone may have to sacrifice some of their offensive game, in order to be a force on the defensive end

Offense is nice, but you must play defense in the playoffs. You can't get caught up in just scoring, while not exerting effort to play defense on the other end. For the Hawks, the obvious choice would be for Josh Smith to really make his presence known on defense, before looking to get a lot of points on offense. It would be no surprise to see him change his mindset a little. A guy that may have to do it though, is Marvin Williams. He's the guy that's going to be matched up against both Paul Pierce and sometimes KG. A decent defensive showing against both guys, can keep the Hawks in the game.

5) Someone unexpected has to make a huge impact on the game, not just play their normal game.

With the Hawks going virtually 7 deep, we pretty much expect those 7 guys to do their thing. So an unexpected event could be Marvin starting the 1st half red hot . . like 7 - 8 FG. Or Horford going toe-to-toe with KG and getting a double-double in that first half. Or a Zaza being able to score and get a few key "and-1's" against the Celtics' frontline in the 2nd half. Or Chill's ability to get to the hole, creating easy baskets for us to keep us in striking distance or extend a lead. But if he plays, it may be Salim and his ability to knock down shots in a short timespan.

6) Can the coach direct a player to exploit a mismatch?

When the Hawks go big, and put a . . . JJ, Chill, Marvin, Smoove, Horford lineup in the game, can the Hawks use that matchup to exploit possible mismatches. Rondo is a great perimeter defender, but there is no way in hell he can defend a 6-7 . . 240 JJ down on the block, or even a 6-8 Chill down there. Conversely, they may try to do the exact same thing to a Salim, if he were to enter a game. A lot of times in the playoffs, a game is won or lost based on which team can exploit a mismatch. It's the one area of strategy ( or adjustments ) that people say that Woody is the weakest in. If that's the case, it will be HIGHLY VISIBLE in the playoffs, and the commentators will either rip him or prasie him for what he does.

7) On the road, you MUST make your free throws. And you must make virtually ALL OF THEM in the 4th quarter.

The biggest way to stop momentum or extend a lead, is to get to the FT line and make your damn free throws. When you look at that Boston game last Saturday, Boston shot 26 - 29 from the line. We shot 15 - 24 from the line. As Obi-Wan-GrayMule always points out . . . YOU MUST MAKE THOSE FREE THROWS!! On the road in a playoff game, you can't afford to leave any points off the board.

8) Who is willing to commit that one hard "playoff foul" on the other team's "star" player, that sets the tone for the series?

It happens in every series. It's either an intentional foul, or just a bad looking foul in which someone goes hard after a player, but is out of control when they go after him. On past great squads, you knew that guys like Charles Oakley, Kurt Rambis, Anthony Mason, Dennis Rodman, or a Bill Laimbeer wouldn't mind at all giving up that type of foul.

In today's "soft" NBA, that foul can get you ejected or suspended if you don't go after the ball. But it is still a necessity in playoff basketball. So the question is . . . who will commit that hard foul on a KG or a Pierce as they go to the hole?

If we still had Lorenzen Wright, or even a Shelden Williams, I'd say one of those 2 guys would do it, especially Lo.

But right now, I say it will be ZaZa. Horford is definitely willing to do it, but he's too important to what we do here. ZaZa is the guy who is big enough to commit a hard foul on somebody, just to let the Celtics know that
"We're not f-----g around with you cats. We're not going to just lay down and die for you. We came to play!"
That should be ZaZa's role . . . be the banger. If you foul, make it a "GOOD" FOUL.

I you were coaching instead of Woodson, We might win the series! Good write up!

Quote:

But right now, I say it will be ZaZa. Horford is definitely willing to do it, but he's too important to what we do here. ZaZa is the guy who is big enough to commit a hard foul on somebody, just to let the Celtics know that
"We're not f-----g around with you cats. We're not going to just lay down and die for you. We came to play!"
That should be ZaZa's role . . . be the banger. If you foul, make it a "GOOD" FOUL.

I submit that Zaza, Marvin and Mario are the designated hard foulers. Zaza on KG (twice), Marvin on Pierce and Mario on Pierce (to totally take his focus out). With Pierce looking for hte next hit and KG fuming (While Al takes him to the rim) we have a good chance.

Quote:

...I submit that Zaza, Marvin and Mario are the designated hard foulers. Zaza on KG (twice), Marvin on Pierce and Mario on Pierce (to totally take his focus out). With Pierce looking for the next hit and KG fuming (While Al takes him to the rim) we have a good chance.

Well considering that the next "hard foul" that Marvin and Zaza give will be their first...and that Mario won't see the court...

Really, Horford has been our toughest fouler most of the year.

I like your points. However, we will have to exploit that weak belly.

I believe to beat Boston is to take it to the inside. We have to feed Al and Zaza down low.

I you have paid attention, Joe has been polishing his post/paint game. I believe he has been doing so for the playoffs.

So, offensively take it to the belly and the perimeter will be opened.

Defensively keep a fresh player on KG. Do not double him just wear him with fresh defenders. Pierce is the key to their offense. Pierce is the Chillz (x2) mirror for the Celtics. He is the one most dangerous. He will need to be bumped and forced him to not get to his spots(slash lanes).

The Celts are beatable.

Quote:

...Defensively keep a fresh player on KG. Do not double him just wear him with fresh defenders....

I agree with you in theory swat, and I think that approach is a good one for teams down the line. But realistically, what are we gonna throw at him off the bench? He'll eat guys like Zaza and Solo for breakfast with a side of grits. I think we have to stay with a 7-8 man rotation with the top 6 getting most of the minutes - depending on fouls.

On hard fouls:

Quit with those ticky-tacky slap your wrist as you go by and create those - -And one! - -

type fouls. If you can't stop him, let him go - - Two points are better given up than three.

Plus, you have a foul on the play, which adds up.

Celtics are great on the flop. They are great at creating a foul opportunity for their

players. Talk about taking someone out of their game. Sam-I-Am will have the

entire Hawks lineup fouled out all by himself and score a gazillion points from the

free throw line and never be touched by any Hawk. He will do this while hitting

fourteen threes in a row without a miss.

Now, ask me who I want the Hawks to stop. Who I want to recieve the hard foul.

Who I personally felt insulted everyone watching when we played in Atlanta.

The truth is, you described the 2000 Philly team. If our team were to try this approach, we wouldn't have a shot at game one, two, three, or four. The key to winning a playoff game or series is to do what you do - better. We have enough talent to beat this team - but not the way you described.

1) If we ask Joe to take 41 shots - then nobody else is involved in the game. We play better when Joe is a part of the offense and the ball is being swung around the perimeter. The Go Joe offense takes everyone out of the game, puts a double on Joe, and we lose.

2) The only advantage we have over Boston, the only advantage is our ability to get out and run. Josh, Josh, Marvin, and Al need to wear down those old legs of Boston. That might be the only way we get them to miss a jump shot.

3) We do need to rebound the ball

4) Again, this notion that we have to sacrifice everything we have done to succeed against the Celtics is just plain short sided. We have to commit as TEAM to defend the perimeter. We lost the last two games to Boston becuase they were making it rain from three. I don't see how one individual can defend the entire three point arch.

5) I think the only way we win a game or this series is that we get more than expected from our top 7. We have to hope that the bright lights of playoffs will pull the best out of Josh Smith. Think about the coming out parties that Tracy McGrady, Mano Ginobli, Chancey Billups, Josh Howard, and John Starks have made. Josh SMith needs to sieze the moment.

6) The good thing about the Celtics is that they have Doc Rivers. He is no better of an NBA coach than Mike Woodson.

7) Gotta make your throws - we find these truths to be self-evident

8) We do need to play tough - but we can ill afford to have Al make any silly fouls. He is worth more to us on the floor than he is on the bench just to make a statement. If the game gets too ugly, however, we stand to lose much more than Boston. They run 10 deep and have a big three. We run 7 deep and have a big one. The thing about bringing out the goons is that you have to expect they will bring out theirs as well. And when that happens the advantage goes to Boston.

Quote:

The truth is, you described the 2000 Philly team. If our team were to try this approach, we wouldn't have a shot at game one, two, three, or four. The key to winning a playoff game or series is to do what you do - better. We have enough talent to beat this team - but not the way you described.

1) If we ask Joe to take 41 shots - then nobody else is involved in the game. We play better when Joe is a part of the offense and the ball is being swung around the perimeter. The Go Joe offense takes everyone out of the game, puts a double on Joe, and we lose.

Pound, I only used the Philly example to illustrate that a team that everyone writes off for dead, can actually steal the 1st game of a series. There have been many other road teams that have won Game 1, with their star player playing like a superstar.

LOL . . I don't want JJ taking 41 shots, but he may have to take 20 - 25 shots. I don't know what Hawks team that some of you watch, but this team almost has no shot at winning a game, if JJ doesn't score 25 points or create 35 points total.

Some of you act like we have this great balanced offense in which JJ doesn't have to look to be the main scorer all the time. Just go back at our 37 wins, and see how manu times that JJ not only led us in scoring, but also scored 25+ points in doing so. The GoJoe offense is only bad when JJ is missing a ton of shots. Otherwise, it's the reason why we win games.

Quote:

2) The only advantage we have over Boston, the only advantage is our ability to get out and run. Josh, Josh, Marvin, and Al need to wear down those old legs of Boston. That might be the only way we get them to miss a jump shot.

Once again, this is the playoffs. Even a running team like Phoenix can't run up the score like they usually do, because the defense becomes much tougher and the refs may or may not call the game like they do in the regular season. In fact, they let more things go.

I'm not saying that the Hawks shoudn't try to run. What i am saying is that Boston isn't going to let us run like we want, and we're going to have to execute in the 1/2 court. That's when you put the ball in Bibby and JJ's hands, and let them either create opportunities for others, or take the shot themselves.

Quote:

4) Again, this notion that we have to sacrifice everything we have done to succeed against the Celtics is just plain short sided. We have to commit as TEAM to defend the perimeter. We lost the last two games to Boston becuase they were making it rain from three. I don't see how one individual can defend the entire three point arch.

Now what are you talking about? I'm not talking about one guy playing ALL of the defense. I'm talking about a guy ramping up his individual defense and taking on the challenge of possibly slowing down one of the star players.

If we reduce the need to double KG on the block, by Smoove, Horford, or Marvin playing solid man defense on him without needing any help, those perimeter guys don't get open. And on the perimeter, guys have to know who they are guarding. You don't sag off of a 3 point shooter, even if he's 26 ft from the basket.

But in the playoffs, you usually have one guy that really elevates his play on defense. THAT'S what I'm referring to.

Quote:

5) I think the only way we win a game or this series is that we get more than expected from our top 7. We have to hope that the bright lights of playoffs will pull the best out of Josh Smith. Think about the coming out parties that Tracy McGrady, Mano Ginobli, Chancey Billups, Josh Howard, and John Starks have made. Josh SMith needs to sieze the moment.

I expect Smoove to elevate his game, that's the reason why I didn't mention him. But think of what Daniel Gibson did for Cleveland in last year's playoffs. No one saw that coming. That's the kind of unexpected play I'm talking about. Or like when Brian Williams ( Bison Dele ) played like a man possessed, getting double-doubles all throughout that Denver vs Seattle series in 1994, when #8 Denver beat #1 Seattle.

Quote:

6) The good thing about the Celtics is that they have Doc Rivers. He is no better of an NBA coach than Mike Woodson.

LOL . . the vast majority of Hawksquawk will disagree with you.

Quote:

8) We do need to play tough - but we can ill afford to have Al make any silly fouls. He is worth more to us on the floor than he is on the bench just to make a statement. If the game gets too ugly, however, we stand to lose much more than Boston. They run 10 deep and have a big three. We run 7 deep and have a big one. The thing about bringing out the goons is that you have to expect they will bring out theirs as well. And when that happens the advantage goes to Boston.

I agree. That's why i think Zaza is going to have to be the mini-enforcer in game 1, or in one of these games. If Horford gets in early foul trouble, we're really going to have to do the previous 7 things I listed.

( LOL @ Diaw missing that lay-up in the Spurs game right now in double OT. Weak azz. )

I definitely agree with you that we need that Joe that puts the Hawks on his shoulders with his scoring, play making, and defense.

When you talk about sacrificing your offense to focus on your defense, Smoove is the guy that comes to mind for me. He is the only game changer we have defensively and if he concentrates on that and let Joe and Bibby focus on the offense it would help us a lot. As some coach said earlier this year about us if both Bibby and Joe are scoring we can beat anyone in the league.

The key will be us not taking plays off on either end. If we play 48 minutes every game I think we will definitely win a game or two, maybe even more. Salim, Acie, etc. all need to get minutes though and they need to produce if they are given those minutes. That will allow us to stay with the Celtics for 48 minutes.

First and foremost we need Joe Johnson to be the Joe as of late. He's been so hot lately.

Now is not the time for him to cool off. If Joe is not Joe we will get swet by 20+ points a game.

Now I understand he will be double teamed often, but when he has those openings he needs to be a star out there.

Second of all, we need Bibby to be hot. I have a feeling he will be seeing the ball a lot out of the JJ double teams. He has to knock down those shots.

Third of all, we need a Josh Smith playing within control on both sides of the ball which means limiting his turnovers, fouls, and long jumpers.

Fourth of all, we need Al Horford to continue to not look like a rookie. Now is not the time to hit the rookie wall or get rattled in the moment. He has to win the matchup vs Perkins on both sides of the ball

Finally, Marvin Williams is the ultimate X-factor. Marvin Williams needs to do his best Antawn Jamison impersonation in terms of scoring and rebounding.

Oh and I didn't even mention Josh Childress who has to look like a deserving 6th man candidate.

Basically there is a TON of stuff that would have to go our way for us to upset the Celtics. But it's not impossible. Just highly improbable given their talent and experience over us.

I think next year is the year where we could seriously contend.

This year our goal should be making a few of the games respectable and having something to build off of next year.