• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pierce's retaliation may be centered around Marvin

HAWKS1986

I don't think Paul Pierce wants any part of Al Horford. He knows that Al isn't scared of him, but Marvin may be a different story.

Marvin may become the new target of Paul Pierce and may focus on his suspect defensive skills and mild-mannered personality.

Marvin has shown he looks lost out there and not really focused, and the Celtics may gear more of the 'gameplan' around exploiting Marvin's clumsiness as a defender and passivity on offense.

Is Marvin able to give hard fouls on Pierce and STAY FOCUSED and still produce on the court, like Horford?

Marvin can't be the 'weak link' out there for Game 4. He has to bring it as well. Horford's actions have escalated the situation in a good way, but his teammates GOT TO TAKE THE HORFORD CHALLENGE.. and plays mart, play hard and play together...

You guys kill me with thinking that Marvin will back down or has suspect defensive skills because of his mild-mannered personality. Marvin played a HUGE role in our win last night and his defense is so vastly underrated around here that it makes me wonder what some of you are watching.

I think I might start tracking the number of times Marvin is dissed by someone with a Smith, Smoove, Josh, etc in their user name.

What if Pierce decides to go after Josh Smith who is by far a lesser perimeter defender than Marvin is?

Quote:

You guys kill me with thinking that Marvin will back down or has suspect defensive skills because of his mild-mannered personality. Marvin played a HUGE role in our win last night and his defense is so vastly underrated around here that it makes me wonder what some of you are watching.

I think I might start tracking the number of times Marvin is dissed by someone with a Smith, Smoove, Josh, etc in their user name.

What if Pierce decides to go after Josh Smith who is by far a lesser perimeter defender than Marvin is?

Horford and Josh Smith played huge last night and brought the emotion and the production and gave the Hawks multiple big plays in the Celtics game last night..

Marvin has some good qualities, but he and Pierce play the same position and Marvin has been caught off-balance by Pierce who has made a living the last few years from the FT-line against the Hawks.

I challenge Marvin to have the type of game Josh Smith has had and bring the same amount emotion/intensity/ leadership Horford has exhibited..

Marvin..and also Josh Childress have been 'weak links' and need to emerge and take their games to another level.. and play FOUR QUARTERS..

What has Pierce done in this series? Marvin has played excellent defense on him, especially in the 2nd half of games. Pierce had 16, 14, and 17 in this series. I would say that Marvin has basically locked him down, just as I expected him to.

There is no doubt that we would all like to see more from him offensively but because of his lack of consistent production on offense and because of the choice of him over Paul and Deron people completely ignore how good of a defensive player he is. Marvin is also much more emotional than he gets credit for and has shown a lot of emotion in this series.

Quote:

What has Pierce done in this series? Marvin has played excellent defense on him, especially in the 2nd half of games. Pierce had 16, 14, and 17 in this series. I would say that Marvin has basically locked him down, just as I expected him to.

Well, JJ's tough playoff foul on Pierce has had an affect on him with his hurt back. Pierce is playing through it, but he isn't the same player prior to that hard foul..

And Boston had been getting great performances earlier in the series from Rondo, and the Celtics were in cruise control so to speak.. now Horford's emotion has taken this series to another level and Boston will make adjustments, so there will be more of a likelihood that Pierce will be MORE involved in initiating offense, creating offense and trying to take back momentum from the Hawks.

Marvin isn't total garbage, but he does lose focus, has a limited offensive game, has a tendency to lose the ball while attacking the basket.. so yes, I may be a tad more critical of Marvin..especiallly with him being picked #2 in the draft nearly four years ago..

However, if the Hawks are to win this series, Marvin has to play more fierce and focused for the full 48 minutes, not for a few minutes here and there with an occasional 14 foot jumper and then go into seclusion..

The Hawks need Marvin, and Marvin has to emulate the emotion and production of Horford and Josh Smith... it can push the Hawks over the top..

• Premium Member

Quote:

I don't think Paul Pierce wants any part of Al Horford. He knows that Al isn't scared of him, but Marvin may be a different story.

Marvin may become the new target of Paul Pierce and may focus on his suspect defensive skills and mild-mannered personality.

Marvin has shown he looks lost out there and not really focused, and the Celtics may gear more of the 'gameplan' around exploiting Marvin's clumsiness as a defender and passivity on offense.

Is Marvin able to give hard fouls on Pierce and STAY FOCUSED and still produce on the court, like Horford?

Marvin can't be the 'weak link' out there for Game 4. He has to bring it as well. Horford's actions have escalated the situation in a good way, but his teammates GOT TO TAKE THE HORFORD CHALLENGE.. and plays mart, play hard and play together...

Well, last night, Pierce put the ball on the floor, ran past Marvin and dropped the shoulder on him a few times. If the plan was to exploit Marvin, then this would have worked all night long.

If that were their game plan, then they are about 3 flops away from Pierce being in foul trouble 3 minutes into the contest. I don't think Paul can come out so physical Monday because the whole world is going to be watching him... Somebody teach clumsy Marvin how to flop... OH Wait... No need.

Quote:

Quote:

Well, last night, Pierce put the ball on the floor, ran past Marvin and dropped the shoulder on him a few times. If the plan was to exploit Marvin, then this would have worked all night long.

If that were their game plan, then they are about 3 flops away from Pierce being in foul trouble 3 minutes into the contest. I don't think Paul can come out so physical Monday because the whole world is going to be watching him... Somebody teach clumsy Marvin how to flop... OH Wait... No need.

Diesel,

The Boston media and ESPN has been VERY QUIET about the gang sign gesture, but this series has gotten very physical. However, Boston is the favorite and most in the sports world feel that Hawks can't hang with the Celtics and will get rattled if a few bad ref calls don't go the Hawks way.

Marvin has a very limited offensive game, and doesn't have the range or creativity that Pierce has. Doc Rivers will probably look into 'testing' young Marvin in one on one, isolation situations... and it the refs give the Celts favorable calls and/or the Hawks defense breakdown in an effort to help Marvin, then it could tilt the series toward Boston...

Marvin has to do more--period.. He may hit his average, but he has to go BEYOND HIS AVERAGE... -- just like Horford and Josh Smith has ... Marvin may have to administer hard fouls (morre than once) , but stay focused and cold-blooded and still attack the rim or hit that 18 foot jumper on a regular basis..once this happens so many things will open up for the Hawks and the Celtics will begin to doubt themselves, but I feel Marvin's ability to raise his game is instrumental if the Hawks are to have a chance to beat Boston..

• Premium Member

Quote:

Your Marvin Hate act is getting old! Grow up please!

Quote:

He played excellent D last night. He got run over by Pierce on one play, but Pierce was completely out of control and dropped his shoulder, it was a weird play.

He was below average in the first two games but had a good game last night. He didn't get any run in the 4th, but in the first 3 quarters had a very positive impact on the game.

Quote:

Quote:

Your Marvin Hate act is getting old! Grow up please!

Peoria, take your own advice... and actually some of the Hawks in this playoff series are 'growing' up as in Horford and Josh Smith, now its Marvin and Josh Childress' turn..

• Premium Member

Quote:

He played excellent D last night. He got run over by Pierce on one play, but Pierce was completely out of control and dropped his shoulder, it was a weird play.

He was below average in the first two games but had a good game last night. He didn't get any run in the 4th, but in the first 3 quarters had a very positive impact on the game.

Why do you waste your time with a guy with Smith in his user name? There isn't a single guy on this board with Smith in his or her user name that will be objective about a Hawk player especially name Williams or Smith!

Quote:

Quote:

Why do you waste your time with a guy with Smith in his user name? There isn't a single guy on this board with Smith in his or her user name that will be objective about a Hawk player especially name Williams or Smith!

Just posting what I saw. I just rewatched the game and actually found myself thinking "thank God Marvin's looking more focused tonight", then I come here and see this crap, and it's hilarious to me.

All around good effort on d, kind of weak in the post on many possessions, but other than that it was good team defense, and good team offense.

I remember a small incident from game 2 i believe... but anyway, kg and al had got into it a bit and kg was headed to the line for FTs and intentionally tried to walk through marvin but marvin stood his ground. of course there isnt a clip to find but i doubt he will back down from "pi$s" aka PP aka Paul Pierce.

dolf,

I guess I haven't picked up much watching the last 30+ years of basketball because I don't see Marvin playing any defense. He is not quick so he has to stay back on D, the opposing player can then take an uncontested jumpshot. If Marvin gets close they blow by him.

I just don't see any D out of Marvin at all. I think I could get off a jump shot or get around him and I am 5-10 and 44 years old.

Hawk88

Quote:

I just don't see any D out of Marvin at all. I think I could get off a jump shot or get around him and I am 5-10 and 44 years old.

Hawk88

Wow. Unbelievable. If Marvin is that bad on defense, he should be waived IMMEADIATELY or not dress every game. Why does he even see the floor, if this is true?