Time to SNT Terry...

Diesel

I watch the games and I see how JT collect those

7assist.It isn't from a smoothly ran offense like

Dallas or Utah I can tell you that.

It isn't that hard to puts numbers on a team with

no structure and no real shot at even making the

playoffs.When you play like a street ball game out

there you might rack up some stats....but not wins.

We only averaged 94PPG on a team that you guys

like to call talented offensive team.The turnovers

and the lack of ability to score againest good defensive

teams shows JT's weaknesses.

His assist came from carless and throw the ball around

instead of a smoothly ran offense.

Lack lacks the ability to control the game...(Lets face it,

he isn't controlling much when he's down 30 points

to Memphis)the ability to lead...AND the ability to run

something other than a half hearted pick n roll that

teams adjust too...and it turns the game into a one

on one contest which the Hawks lose.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And if we make either of those trades it leaves us with NO PG. Diaw isn't a PG,he's a Point Forward & besides Kuki,Mason or maybe Tim Thomas,there's NO ONE Milwaukee has to offer.And I wouldn'd be suprised if Mason & Ford{their only PG} is untouchable. And if you look at the numbers JT is worth more than Arenas & esp.Miller. Both have had only 1 solid all-around year & Miller is a loser. Arenas should benefit by stayin' in GS but I don't think he will.

~Peace

I have to agree with Hotlanta in that JT's stats are impressive but a bit hollow. If he could actually run the offense and defend the PG position he should have better numbers.

I would be more impressed with his assists if he got them from driving to the lane, drawing attention, and then dishing it off. Kidd and even Arenas does this.

His scoring would also improve if the offense were run smoother as he should have more open shots. He also needs to drive more.

Dallas & Utah have veteran PG's running the show. I watched at least 40-50 hawks games & I saw how he collected his assts. he can distribute,but he sometimes makes dumb mistakes like most young PG's do. And don't give me that he's 26 and he's had forever to learn to play PG but he just can't BS.

~Peace

JT is probably the only PG in the league that plays on a team that doesnt have 1 single player who can dribble in the starting 5 other than him. How is he supposed to go 82 games as the only guy that can have the ball in his hands without turning it over and getting to the hole time after time and dishing it........which he does do contrary to your belief. I watched about 78 Hawks games a year and I have seen him do it countless times. He is no Lebron with his passing, but he can get the hole as well as anyone in the league and once the Hawks get Diaw out there helping the team by being an additional ball handler you all will be eating your words about JT.

I agree, 7 yr/65M is too much for JT. I'd like to keep him as much as a lot of you but at our own price. How about a sign-and-trade with LAC for Odom and one of their young forwards? Maybe not, if they wanted to pay that for a PG, they probably would have just matched the offer for Miller.

The difference is... they can put him in the backcourt with Jaric and have a good backcourt, because he is big and can guard opposing 2s...the problem with most of us here as that we focus on JT as a PG and his negatives...I see JT as a combo guard ...a much better 2G than point. Let's say we had a big guard in the backcourt like Diaw who could handle...how much would JT score if he didn't have to handle the ball...I say close to 25 points a game with Dog gone....How much is that worth?

If he is the only ball handler or not does not change the

fact that he can only work with a dumbed down playbook

Jt is like a special ED student trying to learn Algebra

without a teacher dumbing it down and making it easier

for him.

You have absolutely no proof that anyone has had to dumb down the playbook for JT. The misconception that coaches would actually do that for a player is hilarious. Do you really think that a coach would put his job on the line by having his most important player on running part of his offense because he cant run the entire offense? Seriously, the fact that you even believe something that obscene just makes me laugh.

If he is the only ball handler that changes a lot...when a play breaks down...and ours did a lot because our players didn't cut and move at all...iJT is the only ball handler... he has to make the play...if the shot clock is in Dog's Reef's or Theo's hands we are in trouble. But if the play breaks down and we have another player that can get to the basket on his own and draw big men then we get more open shots. If you look around the league... Most good teams have at least two good ball handlers on the floor.

Yeah i do have proof...I watch that predictable offense

that gets shutdown and forces Dog to take shot clock

shots.....Too many "plays" result in 5...4...3..2...shoot!

"Do you really think that a coach would put his job on the line by having his most important player on running part of his offense because he cant run the entire offense? "

What other choice did Lon have?you can't have a SF like

Dion trying to do it?The Hawks made sure they didn't get

a vet PG to run the team....No....They went with rookie

Dan Dickau as the other only small guard.

Brevin Knight/Email and Matt Maloney starting at PG are

proof enough that JT isn't a PG.

Although I've been singing Arenas's praises I'm not suggesting that JT is a slouch or I think he should be traded. I do believe that the offensive philosophy is constantly changing for the worse and that we don't have enough ballhandlers.

As for JT he really needs to be more agressive. Either dump it into Shareef watch him get double-teamed and rotate to the corner for three or drive to the basket and finish or pull up for the short jumper. I just don't understand why JT doesn't initiate the offense more. For example if you look at Marbury he's not out there dribbling around waiting for guys to move. If no one moves they aren't getting the ball and Marbury is going to go the rack and shoot or pass. We just need someone to do something with the ball. I mean come on it's professional basketball, I've experienced more plays run in pickup games with strangers.

I wish we could get Odom. I think he's the missing piece to our team.

• Premium Member

What we have been seeing is JT's strength... A SG.

Iverson was a 23.5 ppg, 7.8 apg PG in his rookie season.

He was a helluva PG right?

Well, Philly had NO Continuity. Everybody around Iverson looked like Doo Doo.

The Same happens here with JT running the PG. NO Continuity.

Think about the times our offense ran smoothly....

When Toni was playing.

When Wilks was playing.

Doggone, really when JT was not the main ball handler.

We have gone through blaming everybody else but JT,

He's another undersized SG. So is Arenas.

Niether are worthy 9 million.

I said a while back that a 7 year 49 million dollar deal was fair.

I'd even think about 7 year 52 million.

But 7 year 65 million is a Joke. Did Jason Kidd get that much for his second contract?

• Premium Member

If this was truly the case...

Why is it that a guy like Wilks can come in here and look so good? I mean in his 2 10 day Contracts, Wilks impressed. In the 1 game JT missed against the 76ers... Wilks came in and led us to Victory, dropped 10 dimes and our offense ran so smoothly that I thought our Players had exchanged Jerseys with the Mavericks.

I'm not saying that Wilks is a better player than JT... However, I'm concluding that with the same players, Wilks (a first year player) looked hella better than JT as a PG. That's Sad. I still maintain that Miller would have taken this team to the ECF last year.

There are too many excuses for the play of JT.

He's simply a SG.

IVERSON Clone.

However, you want to call it, this is the truth that you must digest. It's been 4 years. He's had time to improve and hasn't. His nature isn't that of a PG. And I really don't think he can easily become a PG.

and THAT is why we drafted DIAW. So JT could open up & shoot more without worrying about running plays & being the only ball handler. I think JT{when he re-signs} will play PG still even with Diaw,but in set offense Stotts will use him as a SG.

~Peace

That's exactly what he does. JT is at his best when he is penetrating, drawing the attention, and kicking to the open man. Jesus! Do any of you watch the [censored] games?

He gets his assists because the offense doesn't run smoothly? Now, that's a new one. First, it was he got his assists against teams that didn't want to beat the Hawks. Now, he gets them because the offense doesn't run smoothly.

The fact that the offense doesn't run smoothly can be attributed to JT being the only good passer that is in the starting line up. Dallas and Sacramento can throw the ball around because they have 4 great passers in their starting line up. JT is a great passer, but he's the only great passer in the Hawks line up.

Arenas has better instincts than Terry? Yeah, and monkeys will fly out of my butt! Arenas has played all of one season at the point guard position in his entire career. He's only an average passer at this point, and he doesn't take care of the ball. He's not a better player than Jason Terry. Terry has better assist numbers, a better assist to turnover ratio, and they are pretty much equal in scoring, shooting percentage, steals, and rebounds.

It has nothing to do with JT being the primary ball handler, just as Philly's offense had nothing to do with Iverson being the primary ball handler.

It has everything to do with those two being the only players in their line up that can even remotely handle the ball.

The offense ran better with Wilks and Kukoc in the line up because both of them could handle the ball. Contrary to what you want to think and what many others want to think, those two were not the initiators of the offense. They initiated it at times, but not exclusively.

Teams defensed the Hawks to keep the ball out of JT's hands, because they knew he was the only player in the line up that could create something for himself and his teammates. Keep the ball out of his hands and force Glenn and Shareef to handle the ball more than they should, and thusly you create turnovers.

• Premium Member

Diaw is a ROOKIE who has played his whole career against INFERIOR talent than he has seen in the NBA and HAS NOT put up Dominant Numbers. If he is the next Pippen, he should have been putting up 10 assists per game in Europe. He's not playing against the quality of players that he will see in the NBA. Look what happened to Tskitishivili.

In reply to:

At just 18, is one of the top overall prospects in Europe. Very precocious feel for the game. Excels in many aspects. Can shoot from long range, battles for rebounds. Struggles defensively, but just needs time to develop his strength. Has very good agility and can run the floor. Great offensive touch. Could grow another few inches. Talk in Europe is that he will be better than Pau Gasol. Will probably end up at 7-1.

This is what they said about him then....

In reply to:

Tskitishvili was projected to have Dirk Nowitzki-type potential when the Nuggets selected him with the fifth pick in the 2002 NBA draft. But while players drafted after him - Nene, Caron Butler and Amare Stoudemire - flourished and received national attention last season, Republic of Georgia native Tskitishvili struggled. After bowing to the pressure of being a No. 5 pick and being too raw to make an immediate impact, Tski- tishvili now envisions a better future starting with the summer league.

This is what they say about him now....

Diaw's potential wasn't close to that of Tskitishivili. Honestly, we should have taken Josh Howard for the best player possible. However, we let him slip by, we took a complimentary player and I have doubts as to weather this guy can run the offense because I know that JT can't.

And it's been more than 1/2 a season for JT. JT has played point many times and many times failed and ran back to the safety of SG. Read my sig file and see Just what the Hawks see in JT. They see a SG in a Pg's body. Too bad you don't.